Tulane (1/6/2024)

For those who attended the game today and previous games earlier this season: What is up with the very short loud music we play at the very short stoppage of play?  I don't remember this at the start of the season and don't remember it last year.  It's quite annoying and unnecessary if you want to hear what the announcer is saying.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

56 minutes ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

For those who attended the game today and previous games earlier this season: What is up with the very short loud music we play at the very short stoppage of play?  I don't remember this at the start of the season and don't remember it last year.  It's quite annoying and necessary if you want to hear what the announcer is saying.

I don't pay attention to if it happened earlier in the season or last season, but the band is not allowed to play when the clock is running, so they probably do it to make sure there's no dead quiet. I don't mind it, the Pit is pretty dead without the students.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

For those who attended the game today and previous games earlier this season: What is up with the very short loud music we play at the very short stoppage of play?  I don't remember this at the start of the season and don't remember it last year.  It's quite annoying and necessary if you want to hear what the announcer is saying.

They're attempting to keep the energy up the same way any NBA game would with high tempo, upbeat, and hopefully (but less today) current music.  If youve been to a Mavs game in the last two decades it's totally the same.

Honestly tonight, vs the LSUS game, the music energy regressed. I made a comment earlier in the thread and got some down votes, but we regressed back to more hits of the 1970's.  I'm sorry, but YMCA isn't going to hype anyone born after 1990.  At LSUS, the DJ by the Free Frosty sign was getting into it and the energy was good.  I know we had a smaller band that game, so maybe they gave him more free reign to play current upbeat music. Today it was average at best, but at least not entirely quiet like it has been at some games in previous seasons.  All teams are doing this, it's part of making your arena a challenging place to play.  Schools are pumping in music, crowd noise, sound effects, etc.  Go read the thread on Sicem365 about the new Baylor basketball arena.  People were measuring 120db or more during the first game there.

If you want a nice quiet game to listen to the announcers, subscribe to ESPN+ and sit at home.  You can always bring noise cancelling headphones or earbuds and listen to the feed in a headset at the game. That's not unheard of. 

• Upvote 6