Pulse of the Fanbase..

NorthTexasWeLove

Before and After  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Was firing Seth Littrell possibly a mistake?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

I didn't know until recently but Wyoming's headcoach is, statistically, their Seth Littrell. He's in his 10th season and has a record of 58 wins and 59 losses. Before beating Texas Tech this year, the only P5 team he'd beat was Missouri. I guess the one area he has SL beat is he has 3 bowl wins and 2 bow losses. Despite having Josh Allen at QB for a few seasons, Wyoming under Craig Bohl has never won more than 8 games in a season.

I don't know if firing SL was a mistake. I'm almost certain hiring Eric Morris was a mistake and for that reason, I selected "maybe" on your poll. While I agree SL was fired a year too late, I also would have preferred having SL this year than having Morris.

When our administration fires Morris in a few years, I hope we hire a poach headcoach from another program who has more than just 3 years of experience as a head coach. We need somebody who can build and sustain a program. He's not looking like that guy right now. At Wyoming, Bohl has built a consistently decent G5 program. We had the same. Not great but not bad. Good for a few years and less good for a few years. I think I'd take that over what I'm seeing now.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Coltonw83 said:

How is it that we know Morris is the wrong hire when he had less than a full offseason to build? 

It seems lost in these debates that our competition this year is significantly more difficult than any year in CUSA, Seth isn’t doing any better here. Resources are higher and more money is spent but it takes time to build.

We don’t get Rogers at qb if not for Morris. Defense is terrible and needs to improve but we can’t really decide Morris was a terrible hire when he hasn’t time to build. The one criticism that makes sense is transfer portal based but not sure how viable that is without major NIL or a famous head coach (there aren’t a lot to go around, wish we could pull one but we don’t know if it was attempted so can’t know if we should be mad).

I want actual wins but I feel there is plenty of promise in this season. Seth got blown out in ever major game and opponent he faced (besides the UTSA ranked game but whatever) and we have been in games with those teams this year under Morris.

First, we don't know if Rogers would be here or not without Morris. It's not like Morris convinced him to enter the transfer portal since that's against the rules, right? SL could have recruited him just the same.

Second, less than one offseason to build? He has a transfer portal available to make changes and he himself said he improperly evaluated the roster. That's unacceptable. When SL got here, he knew what he needed to fulfill his vision of the program. Morris essentially admitted he didn't know what he needed because he didn't know what he had. That's coming from your team's head coach!

Third, regarding schedule, we've not played a harder schedule this year so stop. We played a bad Cal squad at home, FIU and LA Tech just like last year, Memphis just like last year, UTSA just like last year, Tulane, a bad Temple without their starting QB, and a bad Navy squad with a first year headcoach. Get that thinking out of your mind because this schedule is only harder than last year's on paper. That's it. Edit to add we've played 5 teams with losing records plus ACU. We have 3 wins out of that.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 5

28 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

At Wyoming

There there fundamental flaw in your comparison.  

1. Wyoming is the flagship university of the whole state with only one FBS program in that.

2.  MWC is the best and most stable of G5 conferences

3. Any potential replacements for an open HC position there may not want to live there.

4. Just the travel logistics of recruiting to Larmine, WY are 10 times harder than Denton, TX.

There is nothing especially hard about head coaching in Denton except the well earned local apathy and history of poor investment.  You hire an experience coach with buzz and set him up with a staff with strong positive reputations in Texas/Oklahoma/Louisana coaching/recruiting circles you will win here.  Morris wasn't a "hyped" coach.  And even without that hype, recruit halfway decent on the defensive side of the ball we win at least 2 more games by this point in the season with Morris at the helm. 

The truth about Litrell is that he just wasn't that good.  Without a undervalued really short QB falling in his lap exceeding all expectations he never gets an early extension let alone 2.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Meangreen Fight said:

There there fundamental flaw in your comparison.  

1. Wyoming is the flagship university of the whole state with only one FBS program in that.

2.  MWC is the best and most stable of G5 conferences

3. Any potential replacements for an open HC position there may not want to live there.

4. Just the travel logistics of recruiting to Larmine, WY are 10 times harder than Denton, TX.

There is nothing especially hard about head coaching in Denton except the well earned local apathy and history of poor investment.  You hire an experience coach with buzz and set him up with a staff with strong positive reputations in Texas/Oklahoma/Louisana coaching/recruiting circles you will win here.  Morris wasn't a "hyped" coach.  And even without that hype, recruit halfway decent on the defensive side of the ball we win at least 2 more games by this point in the season with Morris at the helm. 

The truth about Litrell is that he just wasn't that good.  Without a undervalued really short QB falling in his lap exceeding all expectations he never gets an early extension let alone 2.

Some people like the appeal of living in smaller cities like Laramie. You talk about coaching in Wyoming like it's some horrible thing as though there aren't desirable P5 programs based in smaller remote cities.

"You hire an experience coach with buzz and set him up with a staff with strong positive reputations in Texas/Oklahoma/Louisana coaching/recruiting circles you will win here."      If it's so easy to do, why aren't we a more successful program?

SL wasn't that good? That's fine. I'm not saying he was necesarrily worthy of the second extension. I'm just wondering if what we had with him was better than getting rid of him. Always hovering around .500 with some occasional 9 win seasons isn't terrible on paper. It only sounds terrible if I tell you Seth Littrell is the head coach.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Some people like the appeal of living in smaller cities like Laramie. You talk about coaching in Wyoming like it's some horrible thing as though there aren't desirable P5 programs based in smaller remote cities.

"You hire an experience coach with buzz and set him up with a staff with strong positive reputations in Texas/Oklahoma/Louisana coaching/recruiting circles you will win here."      If it's so easy to do, why aren't we a more successful program?

SL wasn't that good? That's fine. I'm not saying he was necesarrily worthy of the second extension. I'm just wondering if what we had with him was better than getting rid of him. Always hovering around .500 with some occasional 9 win seasons isn't terrible on paper. It only sounds terrible if I tell you Seth Littrell is the head coach.

With SL it wasn’t the wins and losses, it was getting embarrassed in many of the losses.  I’m not happy with the losses this year, but we’ve been competitive against the best teams in the conference.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, NT93 said:

With SL it wasn’t the wins and losses, it was getting embarrassed in many of the losses.  I’m not happy with the losses this year, but we’ve been competitive against the best teams in the conference.

With Seth, we also won the games we were supposed to win. It's frustrating that we lose games against bad teams (FIU and Navy). I'm not thrilled with the way this season has progressed, but I am proud of the fight the team has showed the last 3 weeks. I'm going to give this staff one more year but if it doesn't improve next year, I'm really going to question wtf we are doing, and decide to spend my hard earned money and time elsewhere in the fall.

• Upvote 1

This just looks like a slightly better Todd Dodge at this point.  Dodge brought in Vizza in year 1, and turned our returning QB who was not good the previous year into a legit FBS passer in one offseason.  He was a QB wizard.  But he brought with him Mendoza.  I never thought I’d see the day that someone gave Mendoza a run for the worst defense ever title…but we’re there today.  This year’s is, without question, the worst I’ve ever seen.

I know it sounds like a give up to compare him to Dodge, but the similarities are pretty stark and hard to ignore.  Biggest difference is that Dodge inherited a dumpster fire and nuked it.  Morris inherited a decent team and turned it into a loser.  

But firing Dickey and firing Littrell was not the problem.  We just have no idea how to hire a complete football staff.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

If it's so easy to do, why aren't we a more successful program?

Because of bad decision thar reverberate for decades.  That makes minor mistakes down the line more punative.  I didn't mean say it was "easy".  But building legitimately successful G5 program isn't hard given proper timely investment and consistency of not rewarding mediocrity.  Leadership has not done that here.  Extending Seth twice is emblematic of that.  Every major positive move they have made has been a least 5 years late.

1. building decent FBS stadium late

2. Building large indoor practice staduim late

3. Hiring a coach with P5 experience late (and when they did, they did not surround him with a strong regional recruiting  reputation *Coach McCarney)

4. Committed to more modern offensive schemes and passing late (actually took a step back in that regard to hired Mac).  So now we should be in the 3rd generation of running variations of the spread not the second.  

5. Extending Seth without anything to show for it except bowl appearances.  Sorry but with only 5 wins against FBS competition and  more than half of FBS teams going to bowls a lower bowl appearance is barely a step above a participation trophy.  Can you think of a head coach top or near top in salary for their conference getting multiple extensions with salary increases without winning ANYTHING TANGIBLE? 

The facts are this program does A LOT OF STUPID 💩 that is first guessed by many on this board.   This infatuation with the color black is symbolic of that. 

And not that it would have an impact on winning here are the other symbolic things that were a least a decade late or more

1. Mean Joe Greene Statue

2. Something on par with a statue honoring Odus Mitchell 

3.  And great but at least 20 years late. Link below

All this is a pattern of constant pursuit of mediocity and maybe thinking it is "easy"

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TIgreen01 said:

Biggest difference is that Dodge inherited a dumpster fire and nuked it.  Morris inherited a decent team and turned it into a loser.

I am very skeptical of your football IQ if you think that last year's Mean Green team wouldn't be 3-6 by this point in the season against this competition.  Furthermore that "decent" team lost pieces and showed they could not develope a QB that can complete 60% of their passes let alone 65%.   This years offense is complete and balanced.  Only twice this year was this offense in a game were they didn't have huge pressure to score on every.  That "decent" team was still below 0.500 against FBS competition.  

So he "nuked" the defense?  Wasn't the defense bottom half of FBS last year also. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I will chalk some of your bad takes to frustration.   This team is 2 plays away from being 0.500.  I am not defending the Morris hire but that "decent" team was on the negative side of mediocre and trending flat or down.  

Edited by Meangreen Fight
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, Meangreen Fight said:

I am very skeptical of your football IQ if you think that last year's Mean Green team wouldn't be 3-6 by this point in the season against this competition.  Furthermore that "decent" team lost pieces and showed they could develope a QB that can complete 60% of their passes let alone 65%.   This years offense is complete and balanced.  Only twice this year was this offense in a game were they didn't have huge pressure to score on every.  That "decent" team was still below 0.500 against FBS competition.  

So he "nuked" the defense?  Wasn't the defense bottom half of FBS last year also. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I will chalk some of your bad takes to frustration.   This team is 2 plays away from being 0.500.  I am not defending the Morris hire but that "decent" team was on the negative side of mediocre and trending flat or down.  

I’m skeptical of your reading comprehension

• Downvote 2

8 hours ago, NT93 said:

We've needed three incredible second half comebacks to appear competitive this year.

• Upvote 2