Army is In

MCMLXXX

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

They had one guy - I think a DB -  making really dirty/ugly plays, years ago.  What else has rubbed you wrong?

My memory is horrible, but I'm pretty sure it happened in two games, seeming more like a trend that was going on, possibly due to the coach at the time.  If that's the case, then maybe it's rectified itself.  Again, I liked the atmosphere of the games before that started happening.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GrayEagle said:

My name is Jack Fincher and I'm likely the oldest person on this board.  My dad worked for Gulf Oil.  I started at North Texas in 1948.  Went into the Navy in the Korean War 1950 because I decided that I did not want to be a teacher.  Returned to North Texas in January 1955 and received my BBA in May 1957.

IMG_1275.gif.7d69389cbe0e9056af226bdc6b08981c.gif

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, untcampbell said:

When we play them up there, we see a historical and pivotal piece of real estate and stand along side academy of men and women that will proudly serve our country. We also see a legitimately historical college football program. Upgrade.

When we play them at home, we will get more opposing fans into DATCU in one game than we do from any five games from the team that is leaving our conference. Upgrade.

We got the better brand.

(no offense)

GMG

BINGO! BINGO! BINGO! 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

I didn't want this.  I support the military institutions and at one time would have welcomed them to be conference mates, but the recent Army games had way too many dirty players making dangerous plays.

Then football may not be your sport. If that is your main objection, you're missing the big picture.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

My name is Jack Fincher and I'm likely the oldest person on this board.  My dad worked for Gulf Oil.  I started at North Texas in 1948.  Went into the Navy in the Korean War 1950 because I decided that I did not want to be a teacher.  Returned to North Texas in January 1955 and received my BBA in May 1957.

Rex Winn here. You got me by a few years, Jack. I'm only 80 1/2.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, untcampbell said:

When we play them up there, we see a historical and pivotal piece of real estate and stand along side academy of men and women that will proudly serve our country. We also see a legitimately historical college football program. Upgrade.

When we play them at home, we will get more opposing fans into DATCU in one game than we do from any five games from the team that is leaving our conference. Upgrade.

We got the better brand.

(no offense)

GMG

Quit being so nice.  Smu sucks.  Offense intended.

• Upvote 5

On 10/25/2023 at 10:44 AM, keith said:

Basically Army said, "get rid of SMU, then we'll join."  That checks out.

All joking aside, it was addition through subtraction for us; a great deal.

We have added a very marketable team to our schedule, and the SMU game will still be available for our non-conference schedule if both schools still want it. Personally, I'd rather have La Tech or even possibly UTEP as non-conference foes, the away games are further but both those schools bring fans that enhance a gameday atmosphere.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

I'd rather have La Tech or UTEP as non-conference foes, the away games are further but both those schools bring fans that enhance a gameday atmosphere.

La Tech does enhance the game day atmosphere.  I don't know exactly why, but they have always felt like natural rivals for us even before we shared CUSA.  UTEP not so much in my opinion.  When they are good they definitely are a better draw than SMU for road fans.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

Then football may not be your sport. If that is your main objection, you're missing the big picture.

So you enjoy having some of your best players taken out by cheap shots? 

You gonna' just say "big picture" if a nUTSAck player takes out Rogers' knee with a cheap shot?  What if a two Tulsa players blindside Rauschenberg after an extra point and take him out for the season? 

What is this "big picture" related to dirty players supposed to be?  Should we start using this in our play?

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

La Tech does enhance the game day atmosphere.  I don't know exactly why, but they have always felt like natural rivals for us even before we shared CUSA.  UTEP not so much in my opinion.  When they are good they definitely are a better draw than SMU for road fans.

Smut fans won't travel outside their University Park zip code bubble (the campus is not even in Dallas!).  The ACC will soon find this out too.  Smut fans rarely travel to their own home stadium or arena for games.

I think there are a lot of La Tech alums in the DFW area.  They have a good core of fans that support their teams in Denton.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

So you enjoy having some of your best players taken out by cheap shots? 

You gonna' just say "big picture" if a nUTSAck player takes out Rogers' knee with a cheap shot?  What if a two Tulsa players blindside Rauschenberg after an extra point and take him out for the season? 

What is this "big picture" related to dirty players supposed to be?  Should we start using this in our play?

Dude. Please.

As far as Army being "dirty", my issues with playing them (as well as other triple option teams) was less to do with specific players and coaches, but the style of offense and cut blocking leading to increased injuries to players. 

However, the NCAA passed a rule last year, and they no longer allow cut blocks outside the tackle box. Army and Navy have both had to adjust their offense, so I'm no longer as concerned. We'll see how it all shakes out.

But the service academies are GREAT opponents to have when it comes to fan engagement and media attention.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

Army plays hard which I expect but with the one exception I do not see them as being "dirty".  The spearing non-call in their last visit here was the exception. 

I have great respect for all three service academies and welcome the chance to play them on a regular/semi-regular basis.

Kudos to our commissioner for getting them on board.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Monkeypox said:

However, the NCAA passed a rule last year, and they no longer allow cut blocks outside the tackle box. Army and Navy have both had to adjust their offense, so I'm no longer as concerned. We'll see how it all shakes out.

Army's AD has stated that the rule change is part of the reason they looked to join a conference.   They know the rule change will make their option offense less viable.   They hope joining a conference makes them more competitive in the the new NIL/transfer portal world. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Army's AD has stated that the rule change is part of the reason they looked to join a conference.   They know the rule change will make their option offense less viable.   They hope joining a conference makes them more competitive in the the new NIL/transfer portal world. 

All the West Point alums are saying they’re running a new offense? I have no clue since I don’t watch Army football like that. The new offense is a reason why they’re not doing so well? 

3 hours ago, Cerebus said:

I would guess the NIL and the portal have no effect on them directly. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, Cerebus said:

If we enter a CFB world where the academies don't run the option, I'd be pretty bummed.  I have always loved the option, and one of the traditions is its association with the academies.  In a sense, they have been the ones carrying that torch.

• Upvote 2

On 10/27/2023 at 11:52 PM, southsideguy said:

I hope we never play smut again.  They do nothing for our attendance (visitors) and help their attendance.   If SMUT and  UTSA are playing I will be a UTSA for part of Saturday.

I have always said that any Saturday when Notre Dame losses is a good Saturday. When Norte Dame AND SMU lose...it is a great Saturday. If they ever played one another in a bowl game I wouldn't be able to watch. I would have a meltdown brought on by extreme indecision.

• Upvote 1