Coach O is Keeping Receipts...

NorthTexasWeLove

On 9/5/2023 at 7:49 PM, Green Otaku said:

For those saying it wasn't a mess let's not forget what happened when we played out of conference. For the last two years we didn't beat an fbs ooc opponent. 

2021: 

SMU 35-12

Missou 48-35

Liberty 35-26

Miami (OH) 27-14

2022:

SMU 48-10

UNLV 58-27

Memphis 44-34

Boise St. 35-32

In fact you'd have to go back to 2018 to see the last time we beat an FBS team ooc. 0 bowl wins against other

FBS teams too. The reason we looked better in conference was because CUSA is very weak. 

Wasting your time.  In summary when you take out wins against FCS, Seth is well below 0.500.   And all the love for beating 2-10 Arkansas was hype because of their history as a program, that Arkansas team doesn't win the Sun Belt.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I really don't understand how people are drawing parallels between SL's OOC record and this loss to FIU when SL just beat FIU by about 40 last year. All this coping is blinding folks.

Yes, I agree it's some sort of coping.   Very odd why people would want to tear down SL's mediocrity to validate(?) the garbage we saw last weekend.

People need to understand, just because SL smacked FIU last year, and likely would have again this year, doesn't mean he was an amazing coach that anyone (well, most anyone) thinks should still be here.

Now, what it might mean, is that in just 1 offseason, we've gone from 'mediocre' to 'bad'.   I can't say that with 100% certainty, but I can say, I've seen it happen before with my own 2 eyes (2006-2007)... and what I've witnessed the past 2 weekends looks very, very familiar.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I really don't understand how people are drawing parallels between SL's OOC record and this loss to FIU when SL just beat FIU by about 40 last year. All this coping is blinding folks.

I am not coping but revisionists history like Seth’s teams were good just isn’t true.  They were better than the worst of FBS and could beat other mediocre FBS teams half the time.   This mediocre team Seth left, lost some its best players.  This isn’t an excuse for Eric Morris but our expectations looking at this situation were askew.  Even if they played better in the Cal loss, I was expecting the FIU game to be a dog fight.  Not because FIU is good to the contrary, I believe we weren’t good last year and FIU couldn’t be worse than they were last year.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yes, I agree it's some sort of coping.   Very odd why people would want to tear down SL's mediocrity to validate(?) the garbage we saw last weekend.

People need to understand, just because SL smacked FIU last year, and likely would have again this year, doesn't mean he was an amazing coach that anyone (well, most anyone) thinks should still be here.

Now, what it might mean, is that in just 1 offseason, we've gone from 'mediocre' to 'bad'.   I can't say that with 100% certainty, but I can say, I've seen it happen before with my own 2 eyes (2006-2007)... and what I've witnessed the past 2 weekends looks very, very familiar.

No it doesn't mean SL should still be here but it is a huge red flag that you can go from a 40 point win to a 7 point loss in one offseason. No, it doesn't mean SL is an amazing coach but what does it say about Morris? Going from mediocre to bad is one thing. That's not what we're witnessing. We've skipped bad. Bad should still be able to beat an FIU squad that beat Maine by 2. The defensive performance was horrible. Offense wasn't much better in the first half. We've gone from mediocre to horrible in one offseason. There's no excuse for that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

I am not coping but revisionists history like Seth’s teams were good just isn’t true.  They were better than the worst of FBS and could beat other mediocre FBS teams half the time.   This mediocre team Seth left, lost some its best players.  This isn’t an excuse for Eric Morris but our expectations looking at this situation was askew.  Even if they played better in the Cal loss, I was expecting the FIU game to be a dog fight.  Not because FIU is good to the contrary, I believe we weren’t good last year and FIU couldn’t be worse than they were last year.

We were a 7-7 team just a year ago. Even with losing a few of the better players, we should be able to beat a team we held to 14 just a year ago. We lost what, 3 main contributers on defense to the portal? Gaddie, Cam Robertson, Nixon. I don't know how many graduated but that's not enough production to warrant a 40 point swing on the defensive side. SL being mediocre is irrelevant at this point. This was not supposed to be a rebuild yet here we are. If things continue this way, we're looking at having made 1 step forward (SL) and taking 2 steps back (Morris).

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 5

35 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

No it doesn't mean SL should still be here but it is a huge red flag that you can go from a 40 point win to a 7 point loss in one offseason. No, it doesn't mean SL is an amazing coach but what does it say about Morris? Going from mediocre to bad is one thing. That's not what we're witnessing. We've skipped bad. Bad should still be able to beat an FIU squad that beat Maine by 2. The defensive performance was horrible. Offense wasn't much better in the first half. We've gone from mediocre to horrible in one offseason. There's no excuse for that.

Winner! Winner! 

• Upvote 5

17 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I’d pay to see that, but I remember in 2020 when 2 Rice assistants came into the stands trying to fight students, with Covid restrictions lol. 

Many years ago under the Dickey regime our OC charged a doner and member of this board and our group as they walked back to the press box at Fouts. All that was said was that we were being out coached. 

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

#1 Seth Littrell had seven seasons to get us to the next level. He didn't, so they made the decision to move on from him.

#2 The guy they replaced Seth Littrell with may be worse than Seth Littrell.

Both of those things can be true

I’ll take #1 

5 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

We were a 7-7 team just a year ago. Even with losing a few of the better players, we should be able to beat a team we held to 14 just a year ago. We lost what, 3 main contributers on defense to the portal? Gaddie, Cam Robertson, Nixon. I don't know how many graduated but that's not enough production to warrant a 40 point swing on the defensive side. SL being mediocre is irrelevant at this point. This was not supposed to be a rebuild yet here we are. If things continue this way, we're looking at having made 1 step forward (SL) and taking 2 steps back (Morris).

Cal is a much better team this year with all the transfers IMO.  They damn near beat Auburn last weekend (blown 4th quarter lead).

No excuse for getting curb stomped by them and then losing to FIU though.   And, I do agree with everything you said.

• Upvote 2

On 9/11/2023 at 10:36 PM, Mike Jackson said:

Wasting your time.  In summary when you take out wins against FCS, Seth is well below 0.500.   And all the love for beating 2-10 Arkansas was hype because of their history as a program, that Arkansas team doesn't win the Sun Belt.

Yes and Darrell Dickey had only 4 wins against teams with a .500 record or above during the 4 year bowl run and 26 game conference win streak. Also, how about the love for beating a 3-9 Baylor team?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

On 9/12/2023 at 11:14 PM, Cr1028 said:

Yes and Darrell Dickey had only 4 wins against teams with a .500 record or above during the 4 year bowl run and 26 game conference win streak. Also, how about the love for beating a 3-9 Baylor team?

How many above 0.500 teams were on the schedule beside revenue games on the road against top ranked P5?  You can’t beat teams that you don’t play.  If you are here to argue Seth over Dickey fine.  Now with all that detail you want to cite,  was it more fun watch us win the conference or not win conference?   The hype/love over beating Baylor was nothing compared to beating an Arkansas team.  When “defending”  Dickey it is something I don’t bring up because I don’t even remember it.  Seth’s teams weren’t better than Dickey’s teams relative to FBS eras they competed in.   Seth’s team’s dominated NO ONE except FCS.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

What Dickey took over was a paper house. He basically built up something that was more like cardboard. It held up until Tulsa poured water on it and the entire thing fell apart. Dodge comes in and takes the wet cardboard and sets the thing on fire. McCarney took over as the university decided to build up an actual house for the program because of the embarrassing level in which we lived, only to see that support get set on fire, too. What SL inherited and built was going from ashes into something to actually live/work in. And what Eric Morris appears to be doing so far is douse this place in gasoline. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

What Dickey took over was a paper house. He basically built up something that was more like cardboard. It held up until Tulsa poured water on it and the entire thing fell apart. Dodge comes in and takes the wet cardboard and sets the thing on fire. McCarney took over as the university decided to build up an actual house for the program because of the embarrassing level in which we lived, only to see that support get set on fire, too. What SL inherited and built was going from ashes into something to actually live/work in. And what Eric Morris appears to be doing so far is douse this place in gasoline. 

The Simpsons Burn Bridge GIF

Morris after taking over the team.

• Haha 1