A hypothetical

emmitt01

If you could choose either of the following (and only ONE so save the “both” answers), which would you choose:

1) Stay in the AAC and win 3 of the next 5 conference titles, with one of the years ending in the national championship game

2) Join a “Power 5” conference and have a 5 year run where we win 2 games a year

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

If you could choose either of the following (and only ONE so save the “both” answers), which would you choose:

1) Stay in the AAC and win 3 of the next 5 conference titles, with one of the years ending in the national championship game

2) Join a “Power 5” conference and have a 5 year run where we win 2 games a year

I took less than a second to choose so might want to make it a bit harder to decide. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Interesting.  Does it change your answer at all if the P5 conference is the SEC or Big10?  

Than appearing in a national championship game?!?!? 

You and I have seen two win seasons. They suck. No matter who the competition is. 

Edited by meanrob
  • Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I would take it if it were SEC/B10.  2 reasons:

1) that would mean we are on the "other side" of all this realignment, and set for a long time.
2) the money we would receive would set us up astronomically better for long term success.

Vanderbilt would like a word with you.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NT93 said:

Vanderbilt would like a word with you.

Riding on UT's coat tail for Big 12 money allowed Baylor to eventually thrive (despite the illegal activities).  If they would have been left out of the Big 12 when the SWC folded, their athletic programs would be nowhere near what they are today. Baylor would be just like SMU without the Big 12.  I also suspect that with OU and UT leaving, Baylor's success will eventually take a hit.

Vanderbilt has caused their own issues, despite the SEC money.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, akriesman said:

Riding on UT's coat tail for Big 12 money allowed Baylor to eventually thrive (despite the illegal activities).  If they would have been left out of the Big 12 when the SWC folded, their athletic programs would be nowhere near what they are today. Baylor would be just like SMU without the Big 12.  I also suspect that with OU and UT leaving, Baylor's success will eventually take a hit.

Vanderbilt has caused their own issues, despite the SEC money.

TCU and Houston both overcame being left out of the Big 12.  Who’s to say Baylor wouldn’t have as well?

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Does the game turn out the way it did for TCU?

• Upvote 1

Do not sleep on Oliver Luck, the consultant that the Pac12 has hired, he has a proven history of pulling unicorns out of his ass.  

A third possibility.  While this may seem like a long shot there is a lot of reasons this works.

Pac12 - American merge create a super conference with an additional $3-4 million per school ($12-15M per school).  We could end up on the west side playing Cal, Stanford, Wash State, Oregon State, Tulsa, UTSA and Rice yearly with 2-3 games a year for the balance of the conference SMU, ECU, Memphis, Tulane, UAB, USF, FAU, and Charlotte.    there are a few other additions possible in San Diego State, Colorado State, Air Force among others and if that happens we are headed to the east pretty quickly.

I am not sure of the team alignments but do not be surprised to see something like this happen.  It allows Stanford to be the "face" of the conference. It adds several "academic" institutions.  The geography fills a lot of holes in the announced TV schedules which with those teams would result a $200M+ deal.

Atlantic has voted them down and the MWC contracts have a ton of issues that have prevented the conversation even starting.  They are a 108 year old conference and so long as the American doesn't get caught up on keeping their name this is looking more and more like a posibility.

The caveat to this is if they decide to trim with the merger and cut a few teams from the merger...

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2023 at 8:33 PM, emmitt01 said:

For those of you who are visual learners... see below for reference on what that feels like:

2005:Record: 2-9

2006:Record: 3-9

2007:Record: 2-10

2008:Record: 1-11

2009:Record: 2-10

this is known as the 'Dickey-Dodge' effect

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, golfingomez said:

For those of you who are visual learners... see below for reference on what that feels like:

2005:Record: 2-9

2006:Record: 3-9

2007:Record: 2-10

2008:Record: 1-11

2009:Record: 2-10

this is known as the 'Dickey-Dodge' effect

Bad memories.  Being a fan in those days was tough.

• Upvote 1

On 8/14/2023 at 9:12 PM, greenminer said:

I would take it if it were SEC/B10.  2 reasons:

1) that would mean we are on the "other side" of all this realignment, and set for a long time.
2) the money we would receive would set us up astronomically better for long term success.

Begrudgingly I have to agree and I hate it.  But it would eliminate all the excuses for our program.  Eventually you need to climb out of that hole and be respectable.  Nothing is guaranteed and I think programs like Vandy and Northwestern will have their dead weight  status hurt them soon.