What Will it Take For a Sold Out Stadium?

rojomojo

This is a heavy question and before I even ask, when was the last time UNT had a sold out football game in its history?

I don't expect the Cal game this year will sell out, although I don't believe that's to say the fan atmosphere won't be the most full and energetic than any home game these past few years. I guess my question really boils down to what does UNT need to build in order to sell out a football game? A top 25 appearance? More student involvement? More incentives to come to games? 

This has been discussed endlessly but I am curious to hear your thoughts

• Upvote 3
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

We were there. I know this game gets brought up a lot but it shows what it will take.  In 2018, We came back to Denton 4-0 before La Tech. So it takes a combination of things (and it takes this same combination for most teams not Bama or Ohio St by the way) 

#1 win (we were 4-0)

#2 beat meaningful competition (we killed Arkansas)

#3 get national attention (we were all over ESPN after Arkansas)

#4 ranking (we were getting top 25 votes)

#5 when you get a big crowd WIN so they’ll come back 

After La Tech we went to a winless UTEP and had we taken care of business against La Tech, we would’ve come back to Apogee 6-0, ranked and we would’ve sold out vs Southern Miss. 

24D82B4A-C573-49EA-81C8-07654F24B373.jpeg

How about the fact it was the same day Mean Joe got his statue honored and there were NFL Hall of Famers all over the place.  And a new athletic center was christened.  Just a super sad chapter and a perfect example of how this program has sputtered at the most critical junctures.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1

6 hours ago, UNTethered Eagle said:

My man, y'all struggle with all the financial resources and a central Dallas location. Seems like your problem is worse than ours.

We're both in DFW, which I think plays into this.  There's just a ton of options for people to do, and people will explore those options if the team is not very good.

TCU has done a lot better since joining the B12.  So, high profile opponents + winning seems to help.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

Unfortunately, in 3 weeks, what helps us win might keep fans away.  

Yesterday, Coach Morris told a packed Hub Club that they had a device that would measure the temperature 12” above the carpet.  Coach M said the temp was 177 !  That’s 35 degrees from boiling.  

That extreme temperature could keep a (sane) fan away.  On the other hand, the high in Berkeley was 65 or so.  

The heat that will help us on the field will hurt us in the stands.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

The temps will definitely be a factor, I have spoke to a few friends the last couple days about going to the opener, and everyone responds: "not if its 100 degrees out"

Forecast high is 94. Tell them to purchase their tickets. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Simple.  Fans that are committed to coming TO SEE NORTH TEXAS because North Texas is playing.  Not because pf the opponent, not because of the stadium, not because it’s a late game or early game, not because it’s hot or cold, or because of some random promotion…we will sell out when our “fans” are committed to being there every time North Texas takes the field. 

And win. Would solve a lot of problems. Not all but a lot. And half time should include a local band or bands playing like the Super Bowl Halftime Show. Old ‘97’s or whomever…that 70’s disco cover band…or the whatever-the-o’clock jazz band…get the casual NT students interested in attending…

And win. Transform from a perineal .500 team to a .750 team…and what ColonyEagle typed earlier. 

And win.

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MrAlien said:

The temps will definitely be a factor, I have spoke to a few friends the last couple days about going to the opener, and everyone responds: "not if its 100 degrees out"

Was my wife's answer as well which I understand being that we have a 7 and 4 year old. Everybody has a different take on the weather. Some say if you're a true fan, you'll show up. Some just don't want to deal with it. Why be uncomfortable on a bench outside when you can be in the A/C on your couch. I don't mind it but I'm also not going to subject my family to 3+ hours of extreme heat with no way to cool down if needed. It was the same reason I hadn't been to a Rangers game in 7 years before going a few weeks ago.

12 minutes ago, greenminer said:

drink water.

Looking forward to these "new water stations" they've advertised. I think this will make a difference for many if they're easily accessible and dispense cool water. If I have to pay for my kids to survive a football game, we're not going. I've been to away UNT games without my family but that doesn't fill DATCU.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Was my wife's answer as well which I understand being that we have a 7 and 4 year old. Everybody has a different take on the weather. Some say if you're a true fan, you'll show up. Some just don't want to deal with it. Why be uncomfortable on a bench outside when you can be in the A/C on your couch. I don't mind it but I'm also not going to subject my family to 3+ hours of extreme heat with no way to cool down if needed. It was the same reason I hadn't been to a Rangers game in 7 years before going a few weeks ago.

Looking forward to these "new water stations" they've advertised. I think this will make a difference for many if they're easily accessible and dispense cool water. If I have to pay for my kids to survive a football game, we're not going. I've been to away UNT games without my family but that doesn't fill DATCU.

The bars downtown Denton have water coolers set up so people can have a free drink of cold water while they are there. I used them yesterday and they need to be everywhere at our games.

• Upvote 4