Abou officially enters transfer portal

2 hours ago, chrisfisher said:

And why wouldn't he? He's sat on the bench for two years. I was actually really excited to see him play but for some reason he was deemed not ready to play for years now by the coaching staff... Hate to lose a player of his size. 

I’m sure there’s a reason he wasn’t playing…with the staff, it was usually about the defense.  Would love for him to stay and contribute, but he needs to do what’s best for him.  

On 4/2/2023 at 9:15 PM, MeanGreen13 said:

I actually take it as a very good sign that the fans don't really know anything about what went on behind the scene with Abou. The fact that you could lose a starter under less than ideal circumstances, no matter what caused it, and still win a tournament while keeping a lid on team business in the media is kind of refreshing. I wish him well and anticipate that we will have a replacement recruited in the coming months. I also anticipate a HS big man will get recruited also.

Maybe its a good sign about team culture. But it is a tremendous indictment on the quantity and quality of university independent media coverage UNT attracts.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

12 hours ago, outoftown said:

Maybe its a good sign about team culture. But it is a tremendous indictment on the quantity and quality of university independent media coverage UNT attracts.

You mean the DRC and the NT Daily isn't quality or sufficient quantity? 😉 

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

8 hours ago, 97and03 said:

You can be a smartass all you like but he played soft for someone his size. I can’t imagine I am the only one who thought that here. Not trying to say he wasn’t good or valuable to the team in his time here but he wasn’t a hard nosed big man. He was often in foul trouble and the fouls rarely seemed to prevent the opponent from getting a good shot off. 🤷🏻‍♂️

You are not the only one,

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

don't worry

Any thoughts on my assertion? You seem to follow the team (and basketball in general) more closely than I do, so I would be interested to know if you disagree and why. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

No way he goes to Tech, I doubt grant would him after he quit during the NIT tournament.

Abou was like Gibson, they hated to chewed my Mac.  You could tell by their body language they were not long for the program.  They both kept on walking and looking straight a head and did not make eye contact with Grant when he was on them.  The problem with portal if you hard on some players they leave.

You have to have thick skin to play for Grant.  If you screw up he will let you know about it.

• Upvote 6
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

On 4/12/2023 at 9:21 PM, 97and03 said:

You can be a smartass all you like but he played soft for someone his size. I can’t imagine I am the only one who thought that here. Not trying to say he wasn’t good or valuable to the team in his time here but he wasn’t a hard nosed big man. He was often in foul trouble and the fouls rarely seemed to prevent the opponent from getting a good shot off. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Be careful 97and 03. Only our esteemed moderators can engage in smartassery. You don't want to get banished for having a different opinion.

• Upvote 5
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 4/12/2023 at 9:21 PM, 97and03 said:

I don’t think he is soft. I wish he would have stopped short arming the baby hooks/lay ups and dunked more, but I don’t view that as soft.  Maybe he didn’t have the confidence to dunk it?  I seem to remember some missed dunks in his past. Both off the front and back of the rim. 

He made plenty of plays on the defensive end, too.  He’s not as quick as Sissoko, but that’s not a dig on Abou. 

We’ll need to find a replacement. He’s a loss for sure. Especially over the course of a season.  Sissoko was really good for us, but it wasn’t the grind of the season for him. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

He will be joining G's Quincy Olivari (Rice) and Dayvion McKnight (WKU) as transfers to Xavier.

Not to be a hater but hopefully Xavier isn't expecting for those 3 to all be key contributors. Going to be a rough year in the Big East if that's the case. I like McKnight and would have loved him here but regarding the other two, I'm not sure Olivari plays winning basketball and I was never a big fan of Ousmane for all the missed hook shots, layups, and soft defense. Good luck to them.

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Did you all know he was from Brooklyn and one of 11 siblings?

Seriously, I wish him well, but not a fan of how he left.

Abou and the staff were often at odds. The writing was already on the wall that he was transferring after the season, so when Grant sat him in the Alcorn game, the decision was a two way street.  

• Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

37 minutes ago, 2020 Sucks said:

Abou and the staff were often at odds. The writing was already on the wall that he was transferring after the season, so when Grant sat him in the Alcorn game, the decision was a two way street.  

Way too many coaches answer when asked if a talented player's character matters.

sesame-street-elmo.gif

Right along with the sliding scale of how much a star player can get away compared to how quickly backups get run off.

• Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Way too many coaches answer when asked if a talented player's character matters.

sesame-street-elmo.gif

Right along with the sliding scale of how much a star player can get away compared to how quickly backups get run off.

It's a slippery slope now for coaches:   

-Hurt a starter's feelings and he could go "portal" on you. 

-Neglect a bench player too long and he will go "portal" on you. 

-Do well, and you can go "portal" on the school!

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 2
  • Oh Boy! 1