Question for Coach Morris

cousin oliver

7 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

If I remember correctly, Eric was working out of a trailer at Incarnate Word. I'm sure the jump to a P5 OC from an FCS HC was a large bump in pay. He took a bet on himself and it worked out. I don't blame him for making the move.

I am not sure what he was making at Incarnate Word because it is a private school, but he was making $750,000 at Washington State, and I am guessing that is a bump up from a small new FCS program.

It is obviously up for debate, but I would think many would see a coordinator position at a power 5 school as being a higher level position than a head coach in FCS.

Shoot, this year we even saw an active FBS head coach take a coordinator position at another FBS school!

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

If I remember correctly, Eric was working out of a trailer at Incarnate Word. I'm sure the jump to a P5 OC from an FCS HC was a large bump in pay. He took a bet on himself and it worked out. I don't blame him for making the move.

I would argue the opposite in the scenario you laid out.   When you "bet on yourself", you're saying, "I can succeed despite less resources".    A bump in pay isn't "betting on himself".  It's taking the money.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

17 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

Why did you leave a position as head coach of UIW in December of 2021 to accept an offensive coordinator position at Washington State?   Maybe if UIW was falling off in talent but they had a terrific team in 2022 that went deep into the playoffs.  I am still scratching my head on that decision.

Meanwhile some people on this board expecting Carthel to leave his HC job to become a coordinator here…

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I would argue the opposite in the scenario you laid out.   When you "bet on yourself", you're saying, "I can succeed despite less resources".    A bump in pay isn't "betting on himself".  It's taking the money.

I was thinking along the lines of going from HC to OC and moving your family across the country.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, cousin oliver said:

Why did you leave a position as head coach of UIW in December of 2021 to accept an offensive coordinator position at Washington State?   Maybe if UIW was falling off in talent but they had a terrific team in 2022 that went deep into the playoffs.  I am still scratching my head on that decision.

Look where it's lead him.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

Maybe a pay raise? Strictly a guess, I know it's probably available to find out but I didn't look 

Edited by p_phelps
  • Upvote 1