How Do You Feel After Game 1?

AustinFromUNT

I feel that the offense did what it was supposed to do. Wish the ball would have been thrown more, but my guess is they didn't because they didn't want to give too much of the playbook away to SMU/Run up the score on Lamar. Running game looks really solid with Nic Smith backing up Jeffrey Wilson.

The defense also looked good to me. 1 INT isn't as many as I would have liked, but they're playing man now so there's a bit of a transition period I guess. D-Line looked meh to me, will be happy to get English back. 

Special teams was scary. Eric Jenkins muffing that punt made me a little mad honestly, but it's his first time back there so I understand. Punting was surprisingly good imo.

Had a few injury scares at the beginning but seems like everyone is okay now so that seems good to me.

After game 1 I still think this is an 8-5 team.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Special teams was not good tonight. The punt return team was shaking and not just the idiotic drop that should have never been touched. The blockers had little situation awareness as to where all those terrible punts were. Our longsnapper needs to get that ball down in a big way. 

Too many dropped balls by receivers. 

The D better expect long balls next week after getting smoked tonight on a few.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

46 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

Special teams was not good tonight. The punt return team was shaking and not just the idiotic drop that should have never been touched. The blockers had little situation awareness as to where all those terrible punts were. Our longsnapper needs to get that ball down in a big way. 

Too many dropped balls by receivers. 

The D better expect long balls next week after getting smoked tonight on a few.

It took Eric Jenkins until the 4th quarter to remember that calling for a fair catch is legal when catching a punt.  He worries me back there. 

1 minute ago, Withers940 said:

N. Brooks Got beat Bad once

Wasn't Brooks the one who had to have help getting off the field earlier in the game?  It looked bad at the moment but I guess it was just a cramp.  On that long touchdown he got burned but on replay it looks like he kinda gave up on it once the guy got past him.  I'm thinking he was protecting the hammy if that's what the original injury was.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

It took Eric Jenkins until the 4th quarter to remember that calling for a fair catch is legal when catching a punt.  He worries me back there. 

Wasn't Brooks the one who had to have help getting off the field earlier in the game?  It looked bad at the moment but I guess it was just a cramp.  On that long touchdown he got burned but on replay it looks like he kinda gave up on it once the guy got past him.  I'm thinking he was protecting the hammy if that's what the original injury was.  

Yea Brooks and Wilson had cramps, and McClain hurt his hand I think(?), dont recall seeing what happened when he came off. 

The muffed punt was dumb, not just because he dropped it but because he tried to field it with a guy directly in his face.. I thought he didn't have a clear path to catch it.

3 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Yea Brooks and Wilson had cramps, and McClain hurt his hand I think(?), dont recall seeing what happened when he came off. 

The muffed punt was dumb, not just because he dropped it but because he tried to field it with a guy directly in his face.. I thought he didn't have a clear path to catch it.

Jenkins had another punt late where he was surrounded by white jerseys and hammered as soon as he caught it which easily could have been a fumble.  That one should have been a fair catch. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Jenkins had another punt late where he was surrounded by white jerseys and hammered as soon as he caught it which easily could have been a fumble.  That one should have been a fair catch. 

Agreed, but I don't like having CBs at PR... Jenks is a hell of a player, and thinks he can take it to the house every time... I'd like to see someone like Nic Smith, Johnson, Darden back there for PRs.. yes they are smaller but they are able to realize they will get the ball again later and won't force something... 

----------------------

Also should we be worried about the Cramps/injuries? Also, I did like running out the DL starters late in the game.. 

1.  We are deep, deep, deep at WR.

2.  Darden has that "it" factor.  His speed and ability were evident on his one KR.  Will be special.

3.  Chumley is a beast.

4.  Little worried about the D.

5.  Thankful to have QB depth.

6.  Punting game is scary.

7.  Room to improve, not nothing they can't correct.

8.  Fine looked much better.  The throw to Lawrence was beautiful.

9.  Sticking to my prediction of 8-4.

10.  CUSA not overly impressive

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

This offense is what I was hoping to see from Littrell and company. Good balance   Big yardage and most of all points. We didn't just go up and down the field between the 20s. 

I know we were playing a lower level school. But when a big program opens up vs a lower level opponent, they usually do what we did on Saturday. We looked like a bigger program imposing our will on a smaller program. It's what a good team is supposed to do. There were plenty of big programs that got challenged by smaller ones on Saturday. We weren't one of them. 

I feel good and cannot wait to watch next Saturday. 

• Upvote 2

It appears we are on a good path in year two of the Littrell regime. I am confident next week will be a good measuring stick to see where we are.

At least we will be further ahead in our offensive development to give their defense more looks. We should be able to put up points and make this a competitive game.

Defense is where the game will be won or lost, though. It will an interesting tilt . Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Is Wheeler injured? Also surprise Isadore did not come in as a third QB 

Same here. I searched the sideline and couldn't find him anywhere. Did he not suit up? If so, why not? To me, he was solidly in third place in the QB competition. I can understand Pearson (sp?) #10, not being put out there because my guess is that they REALLY want to protect his redshirt. 

There were also two WR's who I did not see on the field. Both of them were (IMHO) very impressive this fall. One of them had a great spring as well. 

Except for the long pass for the TD, our defense looked improved over last year, even with English not out there. I get more impressed with our freshman NT (#96) every time I see him. 

Like others on the board, I too am concerned about the special teams. Too many long KO returns and I don't think #2 is the answer on punt returns. If Johnson (#26) can field punts I'd give him a shot. FFR and I were watching his running style, and he displayed some excellent peripheral vison on several of his runs.

Edited by SilverEagle

2 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Same here. I searched the sideline and couldn't find him anywhere. Did he not suit up? If so, why not? To me, he was solidly in third place in the QB competition. I can understand Pearson (sp?) #10, not being put out there because my guess is that they REALLY want to protect his redshirt. 

There were also two WR's who I did not see on the field. Both of them were (IMHO) very impressive this fall. One of them had a great spring as well. 

Except for the long pass for the TD, our defense looked improved over last year, even with English not out there. I get more impressed with our freshman NT (#96) every time I see him. 

Like others on the board, I too am concerned about the special teams. Too many long KO returns and I don't think #2 is the answer on punt returns. If Johnson (#26) can field punts I'd give him a shot. FFR and I were watching his running style, and he displayed some excellent peripheral vison on several of his runs.

I'd like to see Darden return punts. 

• Upvote 1