How Do You Feel After Game 1?

AustinFromUNT

Just now, djohnnie said:

Defense is where the game will be won or lost, though. It will an interesting tilt . Go Mean Green!

As long as the special teams don't blow it first.  SMU is going to have good field position all night long if last night was an indication of what to expect from our coverage units.  They were terrible against a lower end FCS.  This could be a problem all season if we don't get it fixed quick.

• Lovely Take 1

17 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Is Wheeler injured? Also surprise Isadore did not come in as a third QB 

Believe so, saw Wheeler up in the suites/press level with English in the 2nd half...

Also, I was surprised as well but guessing they didn't wanna rush him back since it hasn't been a year yet (believe he tore it in week 3 at his JUCO), but its close.. 

----------------------------

Didn't get to see alot of the game from high up, but I would like to see Guyton take over games in the future... I know he isn't Sutton Size, but would love to see him become a guy who gets 8+ catches... I get it was his first game, but I hope he can move into that...

The WR group will be critical vs SMU in allowing Wilson space to run, and keep drives moving...

I think this week tells us a lot about who we will be. SMU would be a top quartile CUSA team. If we can hang with them, I think it bodes well for our chances at a bowl bid and competing for a high spot in the CUSA West. If we get clobbered (loss by more than 2 TDs), I think we know that our ceiling is probably about 6 wins, which is good enough for a bowl game and shows improvement from 2016, but it's a long way from where we want to be.

SMU is probably the third or fourth toughest team on the schedule. The top two, Iowa and LT, are well ahead of both of us,  but this one tells us, along with Army, if we are just getting by because CUSA isn't really that strong overall, or if we are actually making solid progress toward being a relevant G5 program in the near future. Beating Lamar badly is fun, but it doesn't really tell us anything more than when we get drubbed in our bodybag game--these opponents aren't meant to give you any idea of how you'll actually do against other G5 teams (see Nicholls State circa 2014 for further evidence).

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I think this week tells us a lot about who we will be. SMU would be a top quartile CUSA team. If we can hang with them, I think it bodes well for our chances at a bowl bid and competing for a high spot in the CUSA West. If we get clobbered (loss by more than 2 TDs), I think we know that our ceiling is probably about 6 wins, which is good enough for a bowl game and shows improvement from 2016, but it's a long way from where we want to be.

SMU is probably the third or fourth toughest team on the schedule. The top two, Iowa and LT, are well ahead of both of us,  but this one tells us, along with Army, if we are just getting by because CUSA isn't really that strong overall, or if we are actually making solid progress toward being a relevant G5 program in the near future. Beating Lamar badly is fun, but it doesn't really tell us anything more than when we get drubbed in our bodybag game--these opponents aren't meant to give you any idea of how you'll actually do against other G5 teams (see Nicholls State circa 2014 for further evidence).

we should schedule UNLV instead of lamars of the world but lamar probably brought more fans than UNLV would.  I think the exposer to more MW teams would be a good thing for us.

• Upvote 1

On 9/2/2017 at 11:52 PM, BTG_Fan1 said:

Yea Brooks and Wilson had cramps, and McClain hurt his hand I think(?), dont recall seeing what happened when he came off. 

The muffed punt was dumb, not just because he dropped it but because he tried to field it with a guy directly in his face.. I thought he didn't have a clear path to catch it.

So he ended up losing a good amount of skin on his FOREARM.  that was the injury.  I am talking about the size of a dollar skin missing KINDA NASTY

I feel a tiny bit better because UNT proved that they can handily take care of buisness vs an FCS in less than ideal circumstances. However in terms of what that means for the rest of the season, I feel we still don't know much more. UNT didn't open up the playbook too much, as SMU was not supposed to get a good idea of what will happen. Special teams looked bad, but the number of plays is low there so the sample size is not high enough to draw conclusions yet and the offense works as long as the opposing D-line is not great. What was most encouraging to me was Fine looking like he had a better touch for longer balls than last season. Lets hope that keeps up when there is more pressure.

Edited by outoftown