Another example of failure

untjim1995

Just now, Cerebus said:

How much do you think it would cost to rent and staff it?  I think that money could be used more effectively elsewhere.  Especially on the recruiting/social media front.  

If we can get it for free, then I am interested.  

Maybe the partnership UNT has with the Cowboys would enable a free practice or two... or, at least a steep discount.   No need to staff with many people.  Not talking about having the spring game there or anything.

1 hour ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Can you provide imperial data that shows if we have a practice at The Star, or any other location,our recruiting will get a bump?  Just curious. To do things just to do them is not productive. 

See Michigan Satelite camps.  See states they pulled elite talent from.  (not that we are Michigan)

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

gKfDIs7.gif

You absolutely need security, maintenance, etc people to be there.  No one is going to let you hold an event at their facility without that.  

Right, but you don't need a bunch of parking guys, concessions folks, chaperones, etc...
I would think some of the security/maintenance/etc... folks may already be there as part of the day-to-day ops.

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Right, but you don't need a bunch of parking guys, concessions folks, chaperones, etc...
I would think some of the security/maintenance/etc... folks may already be there as part of the day-to-day ops.

Depends on the venue.  I don't see Jerrah letting anyone off cheap.  He'll want those people to be there because he can charge you more for them than he pays them.  Also he loves parking money so everyone will pay to park there.  

The Cowboys are a prestige brand, they don't need to compete on price.

Now, if we can get all that either free or deeply discounted I might be interested.  But if it going to cost us $50k then lets just pay for a social media expert, that's a better use of the money than a one time event.  

6 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

See Michigan Satelite camps.  See states they pulled elite talent from.  (not that we are Michigan)

It is not that he is suggesting we go to Florida or Ohio to poach recruits from the SEC, ACC, Big 10.  I am all in for UNT doing any, and everything to pull new recruits.  I live 4 miles from The Star, and would be easy for me to run over there to watch.  BUT, we have this great stadium to work with.  Let promote that if we are going to play in the Metroplex...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is the same board that vilified the university for playing games at Texas Stadium in the 80s and 90s instead of playing true home games on campus, but now we want to host our spring game off campus just because Texas Tech is doing it.  I get there is a difference between a spring practice/game and a regular season game but come on guys, make up your mind.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

We have some fans that really don't want this thing to ever get bigger than it is. I give Tech tons of credit for moving a spring game/practice around to their alumni bases. This was a very smart move by them. 

Those recruits in Frisco and Plano and McKinney will enjoy this a lot. But, don't worry, our recruiting is so strong that we don't need stuff like this...I mean, we own Denton area recruits, right?

If you are thinking this way then why not have it at the Cotton Bowl to drag in Dallas area recruits or at the Death Star to try and drag in DFW area kids to come watch. I dont think our lack of recruiting is based on lack of exposure. Every kid in DFW knows about UNT whether thats in a good way or a bad way, they know who we are.

I am for Apogee for all Spring games and we need to start to get the student body involved

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Army of Dad said:

Apogee hosts high school games...

And so does Cowboys stadium. 

But when high school's play at Apogee or ATT, they play on UNT's or Cowboys' field.

The Star is a practice facility for the Cowboys that was built with the promise of hosting high school games.

Like I said, I'm okay with practice for the purposes of recruiting and getting an article on CBS 11's page. But main/primary North Texas events should be hosted at North Texas.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Aldo said:

And so does Cowboys stadium. 

But when high school's play at Apogee or ATT, they play on UNT's or Cowboys' field.

The Star is a practice facility for the Cowboys that was built with the promise of hosting high school games.

Like I said, I'm okay with practice for the purposes of recruiting and getting an article on CBS 11's page. But main/primary North Texas events should be hosted at North Texas.

Frisco ISD uses the Star as one of their main stadiums for HS Football. It's part of the $30 million agreement the school district made.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, UNTFan23 said:

Frisco ISD uses the Star as one of their main stadiums for HS Football. It's part of the $30 million agreement the school district made.

Right, so a primary use for this facility is HS games. Primary use for Apogee is college games.

I know it's superficial and maybe even a bit spurious, but I don't want to be associated with having to use a HS facility for our Green and White game.

1 hour ago, NTAlum07 said:

This is the same board that vilified the university for playing games at Texas Stadium in the 80s and 90s instead of playing true home games on campus, but now we want to host our spring game off campus just because Texas Tech is doing it.  I get there is a difference between a spring practice/game and a regular season game but come on guys, make up your mind.

We had to play at Texas Stadium to get Kansas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech to agree to play us up here because Fouts was so dilapidated and they wouldmn't agree to play there when we were brand new to I-A again.

I would gladly play Nebraska in the Cotton Bowl or Jerry World if that is what it took to get them here. But most of our fanbase believes we should only play games at Apogee, so we won't get anyone of that nature to come here. Of course, this fanbase acts like having SMU as an OOC game in Denton is the equivalent to playing Nebraska, so its a moot point anyway.

We are where we are because we get what we demand and deserve. Small-minded, cost-conscious, and low expectations. Its how RV stayed here for 15 years, how Tony Benford is still coaching here for a fifth miserable season in front of about 15% capacity at the Super Pit, and its how we have had coaches in football basically just give up once it becomes obvious that our reputation in the state for our athletic program is terrible and we cannot beat anyone out for recruits very much at the FBS level. Its been this way since Fry left and we keep waiting or believing that it will change. Then we see the same recruiting issues, the same lack of expectations from the entire UNT family, and the same results for success. Its a never-ending loop that doesn't seem to be breakable.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I said this years ago that we should hold a spring game in frisco. And we are in a sponsorship with the Cowboys for UNT and freaking Tech comes in and gets this done.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Texas-Tech-Spring-Football-Game-To-Be-Played-At-The-Star-412510803.html#ixzz4Xa7bPewc

Agree.  Gotta sell what you have.  The Star is new and hot, UNT just opened a Frisco campus...would have been a great way to mesh the two things - academics and football - in a market you want on one hand (athletics) and have (academic) on the other.

The Saturday scrimmages leading up to the Spring Game are already open and done at Apogee, giving those who want to see Apogee in the offseason a chance to visit.  Playing at The Star would have brought the UNT football team into the heart of where many of its students, and potential students..and athletes...live.

Smart move by Tech.  Spring Game right in our backyard. 

Hope Baker sees this and follows suit.

8 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

We had to play at Texas Stadium to get Kansas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech to agree to play us up here because Fouts was so dilapidated and they wouldmn't agree to play there when we were brand new to I-A again.

I would gladly play Nebraska in the Cotton Bowl or Jerry World if that is what it took to get them here. But most of our fanbase believes we should only play games at Apogee, so we won't get anyone of that nature to come here. Of course, this fanbase acts like having SMU as an OOC game in Denton is the equivalent to playing Nebraska, so its a moot point anyway.

We are where we are because we get what we demand and deserve. Small-minded, cost-conscious, and low expectations. Its how RV stayed here for 15 years, how Tony Benford is still coaching here for a fifth miserable season in front of about 15% capacity at the Super Pit, and its how we have had coaches in football basically just give up once it becomes obvious that our reputation in the state for our athletic program is terrible and we cannot beat anyone out for recruits very much at the FBS level. Its been this way since Fry left and we keep waiting or believing that it will change. Then we see the same recruiting issues, the same lack of expectations from the entire UNT family, and the same results for success. Its a never-ending loop that doesn't seem to be breakable.

Also had this discussion last year.  Houston gives up home games to the local NFL stadium to get bigger schools in.  Big schools have season opening clashes at JerryWorld, Atlanta, Houston...even, Green Bay last year!

Alabama does it almost every year because they can't get home and home with big name schools (and, in truth, probably don't want them because they'd have to give up a home date in those contracts). 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Tech is holding one practice at the Star and it exemplifies the athletic failures of the past 40 years?

• Upvote 3

Just now, Aldo said:

Tech is holding one practice at the Star and it exemplifies the athletic failures of the past 40 years?

It shows what short-sightedness and apathy for the main window to every other university's athletic programs that we have endured by showing those of us that still hang around here just how little thought gets put into our program's future.

We are where we are because we get what we demand. Very few people care about our sports teams, particularly at the top of the university. Smatresk is trying to change it, but I fear that without any backing or sufficient leadership from the AD, its not going anywhere here--you know, kinda like the last 40 years...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, NTAlum07 said:

1. Right, because nothing has changed since the 80s and 90s.

2. Having a OOC game at Jerry World in addition to a minimum 6 game home schedule isn't a bad thing, IMO

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

Some of you are crazy. Texas Tech is playing their spring game in Frisco, because nobody lives in Lubbock or wants to drive there for a spring game. Denton is more central to our fanbase than Frisco and we don't have to pay JJ to use it. Also it happens to be a damn fine stadium.

What's crazy is that a simple idea that would really generate attention for the program is just shut down because of a spring game that maybe a few thousand attend. It might not make sense financially, but the idea itself is the kind of creative thinking needed to add some buzz to the program.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

Some of you are crazy. Texas Tech is playing their spring game in Frisco, because nobody lives in Lubbock or wants to drive there for a spring game. Denton is more central to our fanbase than Frisco and we don't have to pay JJ to use it. Also it happens to be a damn fine stadium.

Congratulations on absolutely missing the point.

BTW, Lubbock has about 250k residents. They didn't go to Odessa last year because they needed to get the oil patch fans to buy in or because their stadium (that is much bigger and nicer than ours) isn't "damn fine". They did it because it creates excitement among fans who can't get back to Lubbock, but might live in other parts of the state, as well as because it gives recruits the opportunity to come see them practice near by. For DFW recruits, Tech gets to host them for a visit at the Star in March, and then can invite them to watch Tech play Baylor at JerryWorld in November.

On the other end of the spectrum, we create exactly no buzz with recruits who already look at us as a safety net or last resort, plus we get to host them at our facilities for the same spring game and a riveting home game against Lamar, Army, or other CUSA opponent.

But, hey, UNT-Frisco will be a big deal for the system. Maybe they can get their own mascot, too, like UNT-Dallas...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, MeanGreenHoops said:

What's crazy is that a simple idea that would really generate attention for the program is just shut down because of a spring game that maybe a few thousand attend. It might not make sense financially, but the idea itself is the kind of creative thinking needed to add some buzz to the program.

I think a better idea would be to start building what ECU already has in place for their spring game. We currently treat the spring game like a JV junior high affair.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

I think a better idea would be to start building what ECU already has in place for their spring game. We currently treat the spring game like a JV junior high affair.

This.  We need to make it an event with a "pick your seat" season ticket sale, tours of the Club Level, kid's activities at halftime, meet the players after the game, etc...

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Would Tech have won a conference title if they played in any of our conferences in the last 50 years? How would we have done in the SWC or Big XII?

I completely agree with you, but it just doesn't seem that hard to ask SL to consider having a practice in Frisco, especially since we have paid to sponsor the Star...

Maybe he has considered it, logistics or cost wise it didn't make sense, so he decided against it. WB won't, nor should he, consult with us fans on decisions like this.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

This.  We need to make it an event with a "pick your seat" season ticket sale, tours of the Club Level, kid's activities at halftime, meet the players after the game, etc...

At minimum, there should be a meet the players/autograph session.  At least act like you are big time.  I don't see how an AD can miss on this one. 

11 minutes ago, GreenMachine said:

Maybe he has considered it, logistics or cost wise it didn't make sense, so he decided against it. WB won't, nor should he, consult with us fans on decisions like this.

The idea was brought to his attention last week.  Not sure if he was already thinking about it, but likely that he was.  He liked the idea of a practice or scrimmage, but Spring game he wants to have at Apogee.  He is looking in to it.  He is also aware of the Tech announced practice in Frisco.

Edited by TreeFiddy
  • Upvote 1