Post by anonymous UNT football player

Avery

Carlos Harris had a nice tweet tonight about people wanting to see him fail then shake his hand and call him a teammate. He deleted his tweet. 

Its clear that this team isn't handling adversity well and the leadership isn't as strong as what was perceived before the season. 

He thinks his own teammates want to see him fail?   Or, is he talking about fans again?

If teammates, then there is some jacked-up stuff going on in the locker room.

Carlos Harris had a nice tweet tonight about people wanting to see him fail then shake his hand and call him a teammate. He deleted his tweet. 

Its clear that this team isn't handling adversity well and the leadership isn't as strong as what was perceived before the season. 

That's messed up right there. They should be looking for everyone to succeed - they're a team. But that example has to be set by the coaches and the seniors.

For us fans, we want to see the program succeed. We'd love to see Mac succeed, too. But right now, he doesn't seem like he's up to the task and that's costing the players more than it costs Mac.

• Upvote 1

Two things over the last 5 years have drove the point home with me that McCarney was not a good hire.  The first was 3 years ago when I realized that recruiting was not getting better.  We did not even get the new coach bump in recruiting.  Second was at this years Rice game.  When a former player told me that the team does not like McCarney.  That he had pretty much lost the players because all he knew how to do was yell, be tough and tell the same stories over and over again.  I have held off talking about the last point because I saw no good in it.  Now I think it is worth getting out there as it is abundantly clear that McCarney has lost his team.  They don't want to go to war for this man.   That is generally not something a coach can reverse.  Once you lose your team you are done. So now we have to see how long RV will let this continue.  How long will the President allow all of this to continue.

RV will not do a damn thing, because if he fires DMac now his neck is cut as well. More than likely will see RV resign first, sooner than later if the team somehow manages to lose to PSU at homecoming and I would assume\hope President and BOR demand a resignation on Monday morning. Then end of season evaluate DMac as they look to hire a new AD by February/March of 2016

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

RV will not do a damn thing, because if he fires DMac now his neck is cut as well. More than likely will see RV resign first, sooner than later if the team somehow manages to lose to PSU at homecoming and I would assume\hope President and BOR demand a resignation on Monday morning. Then end of season evaluate DMac as they look to hire a new AD by February/March of 2016

So, no changes then?   Why on earth would he resign?

So, no changes then?   Why on earth would he resign?

He won't. Too many $$$ to resign. Same with Mac, just as it was with Bumford...

For anything to get fixed here, its gonna require the university to pony up the cash--from whatever sources they can.

Its just my belief that its not going to happen. I truly think that RV is the #UNTADforlife until proven otherwise. And I believe completely in the fact that the university will not buy out more than a year of a large contract, as seen with Trilli, Dodge, and Benford. Mac's contract is the largest that the university has ever given out. They ain't buying it out after this year, even if we are 0-12. Maybe next year, if we win less than 2 games, but then again, Todd Dodge won 2 games in his third year of a 5 year contract, and he still got a 4th year because we wouldn't pay to buy out an extra $275k. Same with Bumford's contract--complete disaster, yet we won't buy out an extra $325k any earlier than we feasible deem it "affordable" to do say. Mac makes $650k per year--ain't no way we are dumping him after this year for sure--and very recent history suggest we won't after 2016, either.

I'm afraid that we have 2 and a half more years to fully enjoy the explosive offensive gameplan of Dan McCarney...at this point, recruits at anything above 2A aren't going to even give us the time of day if they play offense at their high school.

• Upvote 1

Teammates.

I have been told by people close to the situation that not many players on the team are fond of Mr. Harris

That's because Carlos is passionate. Sometimes he goes overboard but the dude gives 110% every play. I admire him and his dedication. 

Problem is, he's one of very few and that's obvious at this point. 2013 had a group of people who were tired of losing and decided to go full 110%. This current group, I don't think has that same mentality. 

But Carlos does. Just my two cents.

I'm starting to believe that the actual coaches in 2013 were Skladany, Trice and Derek.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

That's because Carlos is passionate. Sometimes he goes overboard but the dude gives 110% every play. I admire him and his dedication. 

Problem is, he's one of very few and that's obvious at this point. 2013 had a group of people who were tired of losing and decided to go full 110%. This current group, I don't think has that same mentality. 

I'm starting to believe that the actual coaches in 2013 were Skladany, Trice and Derek.

I think there is likely a good amount of truth to that statement.

• Upvote 1

For some reason, I haven't been able to give +1 for a while, but that's a good thing because this deserves +5.

I was told by a player that the team doesn't care for Mac. They are tired of his repetitive pep talks, behavior, and excuses.

It's obvious there is a leadership void and it starts with him.

It would be shortsighted to say the Mac doesn't care about winning. However, much like many coaches who are close to retirement, the game has surpassed him. A similar situation happened to Mac Brown at UT. A coach will always want more time to build his team, his system, his strategy. That is why there is an athletic director (AD). The AD is responsible for making a realistic expectation for success. If the AD can't or won't make the tough call to hold people accountable then the President must step in. At this point it may be time for the alumni to withdraw financial support. I would not normally advocate this extreme measure but it may be the only way to push the issue.

There is a culture of losing associated w/ UNT Football. From what I see on the field I don't see that changing. Offense is awful and bland. Defense has poor fundamentals and is incompetent in pass coverage. Special teams looks like they are entirely staffed by walk-ons (not our kicker, he is great) who don't care to be there. Well coached teams block, tackle, catch, and play special teams. We fail at all of those areas.

I don't mind that we get beaten (much...), but I hate to see us look sloppy, lost in coverage schemes, and committing penalties.

I am not a negative guy but each week it is harder to see anything worth cheering about!

“The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing” – Edmund Burke

• Upvote 2

I don't have to go to practice with Carlos Harris so I don't know if he is an awful teammate. I honestly do not care, though. The little dude is out there grabbing 9 passes and getting 130+ yards. 

His dominating practice wouldn't be a problem if our QB play was at par and our DLine wasn't getting blown to next week. 

• Upvote 7

Don't forget Orr, and Chancellor. That team had strong leadership in the locker room.

I can't speculate on what is happening within this teams locker room, but now I see why the athletic department didn't renew "Beyond the Green". If I was in charge, I'd eliminate all the "behind-the-scenes" exposure of this dysfunctional lot too. It's a self serving move.

• Upvote 2

Trice always seemed like the kind of guy you would want fighting any battle with you. He is a beast, who does not show fear. 

• Upvote 2

Trice always seemed like the kind of guy you would want fighting any battle with you. He is a beast, who does not show fear. 

Seeing that he has been getting involved with doing some speaking engagements recently is further evidence of the leadership capabilities that guy has.  So many people in life get dealt a crappy hand, and that young man just seems to have the heart and whatever that "it factor" is to step over any obstacle that has ever been in his way. Not that I wasn't before, but now more than ever, I am absolutely convinced of just how important he was to that defense and the entire team in 2013.

• Upvote 2