Attendance graph for each UNT home game of the 2011-12-13-14 seasons

Harry

Here are some numbers behind the 3 highest and 3 lowest attended games at Apogee.

3 Highest Attended Games

1.Houston in 2011. 28,075 came to see the first game at Apogee. Houston brought a good sized crowd with them. 7pm Saturday kickoff. North Texas was 0-1 heading into the game. The weather was hot at kickoff but not terrible.

2. UTEP in 2013. 26,119, and UTEP brought a good sized crowd with them. 2:30pm Saturday kickoff. North Texas was 6-3 heading into the game. I don't remember the weather being too cold for this game.

3. Rice in 2013. 22,835 on a Thurday night Halloween game. 6pm kickoff. North Texas was 5-3 heading into the game and playing for bowl eligibility. I remember the weather being great for football.

3 Lowest Attended Games

1. FAU in 2011. Only 13,142 came for the 6:30 pm Saturday kickoff. North Texas was 1-4 heading into the game. This is the only game I've missed since UNT started playing at Apogee. My 94 year old grandmother had a heart attack, and I was out of town, so I have no idea what the weather was doing at the game.

2. Ball State in 2013. Only 14,747 came for the 3pm Saturday kickoff. North Texas was 1-1 heading into the game. I think the weather was bad for this game.

3. FIU in 2014. Only 14,824 came for the 2:30 Saturday kickoff. North Texas was 3-6 heading into the game. I believe it was a cold day in late November.

I predict playing Rice at 1:30 will hurt our attendance for that game. It's just too hot in early September for 1:30 kickoffs. And hosting UTEP the last week of the season after Thanksgiving will also hurt attendance. Not the ideal dates and times for hosting the those Texas programs. I believe the 6pm kickoff against UTSA on Halloween will be our highest attended game this season.

• Upvote 4

Well as a fan that lives 1000 miles away from Denton now, I cant even tell you how much it means to me to be able to watch my beloved Mean Green on TV. But aside from my selfish reasons, I would think having televised games has a positive impact on recruiting... which leads to more wins... which leads to better attendance. 

Me too (5959 miles)

• Upvote 1

Here are some numbers behind the 3 highest and 3 lowest attended games at Apogee.

3 Highest Attended Games

1.Houston in 2011. 28,075 came to see the first game at Apogee. Houston brought a good sized crowd with them. 7pm Saturday kickoff. North Texas was 0-1 heading into the game. The weather was hot at kickoff but not terrible.

2. UTEP in 2013. 26,119, and UTEP brought a good sized crowd with them. 2:30pm Saturday kickoff. North Texas was 6-3 heading into the game. I don't remember the weather being too cold for this game.

3. Rice in 2013. 22,835 on a Thurday night Halloween game. 6pm kickoff. North Texas was 5-3 heading into the game and playing for bowl eligibility. I remember the weather being great for football.

3 Lowest Attended Games

1. FAU in 2011. Only 13,142 came for the 6:30 pm Saturday kickoff. North Texas was 1-4 heading into the game. This is the only game I've missed since UNT started playing at Apogee. My 94 year old grandmother had a heart attack, and I was out of town, so I have no idea what the weather was doing at the game.

2. Ball State in 2013. Only 14,747 came for the 3pm Saturday kickoff. North Texas was 1-1 heading into the game. I think the weather was bad for this game.

3. FIU in 2014. Only 14,824 came for the 2:30 Saturday kickoff. North Texas was 3-6 heading into the game. I believe it was a cold day in late November.

I predict playing Rice at 1:30 will hurt our attendance for that game. It's just too hot in early September for 1:30 kickoffs. And hosting UTEP the last week of the season after Thanksgiving will also hurt attendance. Not the ideal dates and times for hosting the those Texas programs. I believe the 6pm kickoff against UTSA on Halloween will be our highest attended game this season.

Just imagine if the AD didn't inflate the numbers for the MTSU game when Lance broke the all time rushing record. Anyone who was there can tell you there were only about 5,000 people in attendance.

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 2

Just imagine if the AD didn't inflate the numbers for the MTSU game when Lance broke the all time rushing record. Anyone who was there can tell you there was only about 5,000 people in attendance.

That was an amazing performance by Lance. I remember me and my friend Rick looking around and seeing no one in the stands, thinking most UNT fans were missing the greatest game by a running back in the history of North Texas. Then I looked over my shoulder and saw about 200 people huddled under the overhang of the club seats trying to stay dry.

But you are right. I don't think I saw more then 300 actual people at that game. Sad too, because It was a lot of fun.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 4

I bet the money we're getting as part of the CUSA deal with Fox Sports makes up for the drop in ticket/concessions revenue when playing at stupid times (11am games in late August/early Sept are just ridiculous in Texas).  Prior to joining CUSA, we had a crap Sun Belt tv deal where most of our "Nationally televised games" were just on ESPN3.  It meant that we didn't have to bend over for ESPN to accommodate a live TV audience and more of our games were scheduled at 6pm early in the year (when it's hot).  If, after renegotiating, we lose Fox Sports or TV $$ drops significantly will we (AD) regain more control over start times?  I bet we do, and I bet RV will adjust accordingly.

810px-Apogee_Stadium_attendance_2011%E2%

I found this nifty graph on wiki.  Couple of key notes to consider.  Hindsight is of course 20/20.  For our opener against Houston in 2011, we actually played FIU on the road prior to that game and lost 41-16.  In hindsight that was a really bad game.  We might not have sold out the stadium but losing in  the first game in that manner did not help us.  You should open the stadium as your first game imho.

3rd game huge drop in 2011, you guessed it we had FAU at home.  Of course FAU brought nothing and we were 1-5.  Who in C-USA has been dealt more home games with the Florida schools than UNT at this point?

Next big attendance game after Houston is UTEP in 2013.  In-state opponent who has decent fan following.  An example of  how C-USA pays dividends when we are playing Texas schools.

As you might expect, many of the lower attendance numbers come from weekday games which we are required to play for television.

I could go on with some other trends here, for instance weather.  The UTSA game in 2013 could have been one of our best attended games if we hadn't had such nasty cold weather that day.   I would be interested in some other perspectives. 

My point is, there is data on what is driving our attendance numbers and if we were to analyze this and use it for future scheduling it could help.  We need to learn from our history and try not to repeat the same mistakes.  C-USA should work with us on this, and we should provide data to support our requests.  I'm a believer in data driven decision making and this should apply to our schedule philosophy.  GMG

But your using a common sense approach to solve a problem here.  NT doesn't see it that way.

And LOL at the notion we learn from our mistakes.  Fulfills the need for my required belly laugh for the day.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

That was an amazing performance by Lance. I remember me and my friend Rick looking around and seeing no one in the stands, thinking most UNT fans were missing the greatest game by a running back in the history of North Texas. Then I looked over my shoulder and saw about 200 people huddled under the overhang of the club seats trying to stay dry.

But you are right. I don't think I saw more then 300 actual people at that game. Sad too, because It was a lot of fun.

What was strange is that if you remember the day when Ja'Quay Wilburn set the all time rushing record it was almost exactly the same.  There where only about 300 people in Fouts.  I was the only person in my section, I had to run  over to the next section to high five some guy, and he and his girlfriend were the only two people in that section.

• Upvote 2

I found this nifty graph on wiki.  Couple of key notes to consider.  Hindsight is of course 20/20.  For our opener against Houston in 2011, we actually played FIU on the road prior to that game and lost 41-16.  In hindsight that was a really bad game.  We might not have sold out the stadium but losing in  the first game in that manner did not help us.  You should open the stadium as your first game imho.

3rd game huge drop in 2011, you guessed it we had FAU at home.  Of course FAU brought nothing and we were 1-5.  Who in C-USA has been dealt more home games with the Florida schools than UNT at this point?

Next big attendance game after Houston is UTEP in 2013.  In-state opponent who has decent fan following.  An example of  how C-USA pays dividends when we are playing Texas schools.

As you might expect, many of the lower attendance numbers come from weekday games which we are required to play for television.

I could go on with some other trends here, for instance weather.  The UTSA game in 2013 could have been one of our best attended games if we hadn't had such nasty cold weather that day.   I would be interested in some other perspectives. 

My point is, there is data on what is driving our attendance numbers and if we were to analyze this and use it for future scheduling it could help.  We need to learn from our history and try not to repeat the same mistakes.  C-USA should work with us on this, and we should provide data to support our requests.  I'm a believer in data driven decision making and this should apply to our schedule philosophy.  GMG

AMEN!!!  Hell, I know a ton of people where would do it so if they wouldn't get off their butts to do it themselves all they need to do is listen to people who will.

• Upvote 1

What was strange is that if you remember the day when Ja'Quay Wilburn set the all time rushing record it was almost exactly the same.  There where only about 300 people in Fouts.  I was the only person in my section, I had to run  over to the next section to high five some guy, and he and his girlfriend were the only two people in that section.

Yup.

Rick

• Upvote 1

Although I started following North Texas around 1997, I didn't get to Denton until 2004. I wish I would have seen that game.

In your opinion, which RB had the better performance, if you had to pick one?

In your opinion, which RB had the better performance, if you had to pick one?

I think the greatest RB I ever saw at North Texas was a healthy Jamario Thomas, Lance ended up having a better career, but I think if Jamario could have stayed healthy he would have ended up with over 6000 yards.  

Ja'Quay was a great back, but I don't think he had the top gear that Lance, Jamario or Patrick Cobbs did have.

• Upvote 2

3 Lowest Attended Games

There was rain in the area but not in Denton.  The biggest problem that night was the Rangers playing in Game 2 of the World Series.

• Upvote 2

I think the greatest RB I ever saw at North Texas was a healthy Jamario Thomas, Lance ended up having a better career, but I think if Jamario could have stayed healthy he would have ended up with over 6000 yards.  

Ja'Quay was a great back, but I don't think he had the top gear that Lance, Jamario or Patrick Cobbs did have.

Jamario had a great run at North Texas, even with the injuries. You are right. If he would have been able to stay healthy, he might have finished with over 6,000 yards.

Thomas has the honor of being one of only three players to ever produce 5 consecutive 200 yards games. Marcus Allen and Barry Sanders are the other two. Not bad company.

• Upvote 4

My point is, there is data on what is driving our attendance numbers and if we were to analyze this and use it for future scheduling it could help.  We need to learn from our history and try not to repeat the same mistakes.  C-USA should work with us on this, and we should provide data to support our requests.  I'm a believer in data driven decision making and this should apply to our schedule philosophy.  GMG

there is a reason RV has been here 14 years. And you encapsulized it beautifully.,

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, you start out your season with a big loss to a team that 90% of the fan base never heard of, and you're fighting an uphill attendance battle the rest of the season.

Oh wait! This is North Texas, so that would be a steeper uphill attendance battle.

We better win big over SMU or that Rice game is going to be a real hard sell. Especially since it's going to be 1:30 in the afternoon. Last year it was 88 on the 19th. Even if it's that same temperature, with a game starting at 1:30, most of the fans are going to be in the sun for most of the game. It's going to be brutal and only friends, family and the most loyal of MG fans will endure that kind of punishment.

And on a related matter. If we are going to schedule games where the fans are exposed to the sun for at least 1/2 of the game, why don't they sell hats like this......http://fitzdirect.com/Dallas-Cowboys-Straw-Training-Camp-Hat-New-Era-OSFA-9112-Cowboys-Straw.htm   or this (my favorite)...

• LogoFit Tournament Straw Hat

addendum:  You take this white straw gamblers hat, with a green hat band with an Alumni NT-star on it, and that would be a great hat. 

There were some of those at the stadium store last time I went.

SMU game is going to be inconvenient, but I can make it, just no tailgating.

Rice game is going to be difficult.  Might miss the first quarter, depending on how ridiculous the feigned urgency gets at work that day.

Portland St has no announced start time.

Western Kentucky will be physically impossible.

So that means that this year, I don't get the full game day experience until October 31st against UTSA.  

I need to either find a different profession or stop lying to myself that I can continue to attend enough games to justify season tickets.  Between the early kickoffs and week night games, I'm down to a maximum of four games this year with two of those hanging in the balance.

Thanks Foxs Sports unheard of Network.

• Upvote 1

I remember that game. I was a freshman. And, I continued to hear the song "All By Myself" repeat over and over in my head.

Last year it was 88 on the 19th. Even if it's that same temperature, with a game starting at 1:30, most of the fans are going to be in the sun for most of the game.

88 degrees...that sounds like a cold front. After 30 days of 100+ we should be acclimated to the heat. I will take 88 in Sept all day long.

Ja'Quay always reminded me a little of Emmitt Smith.  He didn't have top end speed or flashy moves, but he had great vision and always seemed to get an extra yard or two when not much was there.  Jamario was un-freaking-believable his freshman year when we still had Brewster and Hall reading defenses correctly and getting him into the right lanes.  Since we've been back in D1 FBS/1A he is, impo, without peer talent wise at that position---which is saying something.  Up until Dunbar graduated, I always thought we had at least one back on the team that could have played and/or started just about anywhere in the country. With Mac's prior track record for running the ball, I expected that streak to continue....but I don't think he's signed anyone close to the talent level we historically have been able to sign.  Most of our RBs haven't been ranked higher than 2 star guys, but we always seemed to find the gems.

• Upvote 1

3 Highest Attended Games

3 Lowest Attended Games

Rice has a small loyal core of followers somewhat similar to us.  They will support the owls through thick and thin.   But they will never have huge numbers because their enrollment is like 4-5K or something like that.  It's basically an Ivy league school.   I do think they will travel better than any of the Sun Belt teams with the exception of maybe ULL.  La. Tech brought a decent crowd last year but it was diminished due to the start time.  UTSA numbers were hurt from the weather.  UTEP may be the biggest crowds we get for now.  They have a strong following in DFW.

No Doubt, Jamario was the best back I ever saw play for us. His balance and break away speed were awesome. I wish I could find the highlights from that Colorado game. PC is still my favorite running back, his vision and initial burst was incredible, but he didnt have the top end speed and explosiveness that Jamario had.

Some highlights

• Upvote 1