New Wrinkle in Realignment

Arkstfan

Report claims Big XII expanding with Cincinnati and Memphis.

http://www.espn929.com/pages/20457311.php

I would wager that if Bankowsky thinks there is anything to this that he will either do like Craig Thompson and try to expand ahead of it or try to wait it out so that he isn't once again adding teams to appease teams who then turn around and leave.

I know that around this time last year Big XII asked Cincinnati, Memphis, Tulane, Houston and Rice to provide them with a great deal of data about academics and athletics.

Brings up a very interesting wrinkle as well.

Their contract can be voided if they lose two of: Connecticut, Cincinnati, Houston and Temple -OR- lose one of those four and one other member. If they lose Cincinnati and Memphis, ESPN can at worst cancel the contract or use the leverage of that threat to renegotiate the terms.

If AAC does end up losing those two, the expansion pool would probably be: UMass, USM, ODU, NIU.

• Upvote 2

Tulsa, Tulane, SMU should come groveling back to CUSA or CUSA breaks into 2 conferences and go with a Louisiana/Texas Conference Footprint

A CUSA-Sun Belt merge and split may not be a bad option from here. Probably won't happen, but could be interesting.

Failing that, the question is do you add one to replace UAB and, assuming the AAC takes two from CUSA, stand pat at twelve?

• Downvote 2

A CUSA-Sun Belt merge and split may not be a bad option from here. Probably won't happen, but could be interesting.

Failing that, the question is do you add one to replace UAB and, assuming the AAC takes two from CUSA, stand pat at twelve?

I think the idea that AAC would take two from CUSA isn't a great gamble.

UMass and Northern Illinois are both academically national universities and one would bolster hoops and hurt football and the other would bolster football and hurt hoops. Conventional wisdom says UConn would fight UMass, TV ratings tell us NIU is the only school in the G5 that isn't in AAC or MWC and isn't BYU that can draw a million TV viewers for a regular season game against a G5 opponent.

ODU has to be a dark horse candidate. ECU pushed for them in CUSA, national university, located in a large metro with no top level pro competition.

USM would have to get a look because of proximity and history. Being on their keister in football and hoops being under investigation might knock them out.

Wouldn't be at all shocked if they took ODU and NIU.

If this was a more credible outlet, I might believe it, but at least for now, I'm skeptical.

That said, this scenario is one that could easily play out at anytime over the next few years.

You get solid basketball programs, a bowl game in Memphis, and two very nice TV markets to expand within, while also not being terribly far from the other divisional teams they would play in the north.

If Memphis and Cincy leave, expect UConn to be out the door in the ACC very soon after, if not before. That will give the AAC three teams to replace. Assuming no one from the northest really makes the cut, which I wouldn't expect, these are the three most likely choices to replace them, in my opinion: NIU, MUTS, and UTSA. They get three great markets, fit within their footprint, and give them better accessibility to more TV money.

Then, you'd probably see CUSA replace UTSA with Texas State immediately and then a school in a big TV market, most likely Georgia State in Atlanta.

I think the idea that AAC would take two from CUSA isn't a great gamble.

UMass and Northern Illinois are both academically national universities and one would bolster hoops and hurt football and the other would bolster football and hurt hoops. Conventional wisdom says UConn would fight UMass, TV ratings tell us NIU is the only school in the G5 that isn't in AAC or MWC and isn't BYU that can draw a million TV viewers for a regular season game against a G5 opponent.

ODU has to be a dark horse candidate. ECU pushed for them in CUSA, national university, located in a large metro with no top level pro competition.

USM would have to get a look because of proximity and history. Being on their keister in football and hoops being under investigation might knock them out.

Wouldn't be at all shocked if they took ODU and NIU.

So do you wait and see if the AAC takes one and then stand pat at twelve if they only take one? Not sure what the play is here, but I think a lot has to be considered before any movement takes place given this news.

What is left of the semi-amateur portion of college football need to regionalize and compete for a national championship in football.

Establish regional rivalries that build into a national championship and figure out how to monetize. We HAVE to monetize this thing.

Then let every other sport group into conferences that are in each sport's best interest.

GMG

• Upvote 1

I don't believe it. These guys bring nothing to the table,plus conference would have to split t.v. revenue 12 ways instead of 10. From every thing I read, Big 12 likes playing a round robin football schedule and coaches do not want a conference playoff game.

They don't want it until they get left out of the playoff for not having one, then they are all in.

• Upvote 1

1) Surprised BYU and Boise St aren't even mentioned in B12 plans. If they aren't in the plans then UTEP has no real threat of leaving CUSA.

2) With UAB dropping, if USM goes there is a BIG GAP between the west and east schools in CUSA.

Boise will never be in a major conference. Never.

Media says Ohio State will overtake both TCU and Baylor for the #4 spot in the Fake Playoff.

I hope the Big?12 is left out and implodes!

The funny thing is that Florida State is probably worse than all 3 of those teams. . . . But obviously you can't leave an undefeated "P5" team out of the playoff.

Whatever happens, I think we will see renewed incentive from the big boys for expanding the playoff--and that's a good thing.

Yep , getting weaker, just two football teams in the top six . Oh yeah, two of the mid level football teams left the conference for the SEC and have made a serious impact in that conference.

Edited by buff64