Eric Jenkins update

Harry

**Disclaimer - I do not have any tattoos and am not a big fan of the look, especially on women, but to each his own.

But, I have a question for those that do.  Aren't tattoos pretty expensive?  How do these college students afford these?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

**Disclaimer - I do not have any tattoos and am not a big fan of the look, especially on women, but to each his own.

But, I have a question for those that do.  Aren't tattoos pretty expensive?  How do these college students afford these?

I've got three. I bought two of them while still in college. I would use birthday contributions, Christmas money and obviously money i worked for. Housing and food is taken care of for a scholarship player, plus they now have some type of stipend i'm pretty sure. If you know a guy usually they'll hook you up a little cheaper than normal. The quality and cost vary wildly, it's best to do your homework. I'd say this was probably between $300-$600 at some of the shops in Denton without any sort of hometown discount.

I've always wondered about the money.  A friend is having some sort of radiation therapy that required him to be tattooed so the tech could find the spot quickly each treatment.  He said the 3 dots hurt a lot.  I would imagine a portrait like that would be really painful. 

48 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Just a general comment about the majority of football players' twitter accounts:  they must not teach English to athletes in college anymore. 

they do and they attend, but you have to look at a players culture to understand why some speak as they do.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Tyler Maryak said:

But you do get to be "apart" of as many tutoring sessions as you want...

Yes...I have been a tutor in some of those sessions in my past life.  It doesn't seem to have changed much. 

2 hours ago, THOR said:

they do and they attend, but you have to look at a players culture to understand why some speak as they do.  

Understood.  I took Linguistics at UNT in the early 90s, and one of the hotly debated academic issues at the time was Ebonics.  There were, and still are, real scholars out there who believed Ebonics should be welcomed, i.e., grammar corrections should not be made. 

However - and, here is where I probably show my age - my belief is that the main part of a college education is to learn about new subjects, make corrections and improvements in others, and become more polished than when you arrived.

And, English appears to be where this is most felt.  For example, you couldn't take a college algebra class, mangle the equations such that the answers are incorrect, then expect to pass.  It is more likely that you will need to use words to communicate in life moreso than algebra equations, and yet we correct one and excuse the other - to whose long term benefit?

There is a school of thought now that seems to go against that, such that one of the main missions in education is now, apparently, to validate whatever thoughts, actions, and communication patterns the students bring with them.  Thus, in some cases, it might now be more of a four year babysitting session with a certificate handed out to those who pile up enough credits.

Anyway...word to ya' mutha!

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 6