MGB: UNT paying consultants $20,000 to evaluate program

Brett Vito

I can assure you that if we had hired a management consulting firm like Cap Gemini, Deloitte, PWC, Accenture, etc... we would have been lucky to get out for under $100k.  I haven't seen what they produced, but this sounds pretty cheap to me if they create a decent work product and with a seasoned dude like The Sicario involved, no reason to think it would be sub standard.

Edited by TreeFiddy
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Harry said:

That is a bargain.

It's unfortunately a bargain. Harry is right. These consulting agencies in all spans of business charge more than most would imagine. 

However, all we've been told up to this point is that we have a "fractured fan base." Any GMG poster that has been on this site for any reasonable anount of time could have consulted the athletic department just that. As a matter of fact, surely the athletic department could have came to that assumption with the alum meeting without consultants present. To be completely honest, our record over the last decade + attendance numbers could have led them to that same conclusion. 

20k is cheap, harry is right. However, we have not squeezed 20k worth of data out of them, at least not publicly. And data for all intents and purposes, that's what they were hired for. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

27 minutes ago, meanrob said:

In my lifetime consultants have been a waste of money 86.4% of the time. 

And that percentage is about to rise. 

I hear you on that Rob, but in this case we are looking at a 16 year regime...  it is necessary to have independent eyes viewing it.  It could impact the type of candidate you are trying to land and what he/she will have to fix.  It gives Smatty an overview to use in evaluating the next AD from a goals/performance standpoint.  I think it makes sense in this particular instance.

Well, now we know what the going rate is for guys to oversee and listen to a group of our fans air their grievances, and to maybe throw out some ideas about how to manage their complaints and keep them, if not happy, then pacified enough to avoid outright revolt. 

Harry, I'll talk to @Cerebus, @KingDL1, @All About UNT and @Evan, and let you know how we all prefer to collect our $10,000 apiece. 

It sounds like we might have received a family discount. This isn't that much money in the grand scheme and if this is what it takes for Smatresk to affect more change then it's money well spent.

6 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Well, now we know what the going rate is for guys to oversee and listen to a group of our fans air their grievances, and to maybe throw out some ideas about how to manage their complaints and keep them, if not happy, then pacified enough to avoid outright revolt. 

Harry, I'll talk to @Cerebus, @KingDL1, @All About UNT and @Evan, and let you know how we all prefer to collect our $10,000 apiece. 

What, nearly unlimited power isn't enough?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

I want all of mine in ones.

8 hours ago, meanrob said:

In my lifetime consultants have been a waste of money 86.4% of the time. 

And that percentage is about to rise. 

I think that may be because the people who hire the consultants ignore the consultants' analysis. 

Lets pray that's not the case this time.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

34 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I think that may be because the people who hire the consultants ignore the consultants' analysis. 

Lets pray that's not the case this time.

The last time I remember us hiring a "consultant" was when the SOW was adopted as our newest logo. $25,000 to rip off American Airlines and the US Postal service.

In this case, the "consultants", or at least one of them, were much more familiar with the "situation" than some consultant from out of the metroplex.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

8 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

It's unfortunately a bargain. Harry is right. These consulting agencies in all spans of business charge more than most would imagine. 

However, all we've been told up to this point is that we have a "fractured fan base." Any GMG poster that has been on this site for any reasonable anount of time could have consulted the athletic department just that. As a matter of fact, surely the athletic department could have came to that assumption with the alum meeting without consultants present. To be completely honest, our record over the last decade + attendance numbers could have led them to that same conclusion. 

20k is cheap, harry is right. However, we have not squeezed 20k worth of data out of them, at least not publicly. And data for all intents and purposes, that's what they were hired for. 

They report to Prez Smack down not to us. It is obvious that these two gentleman are not making a living at this, but there background in business is tremendously valuable. To have two guys with no or limited ties to UNT and get there observation and recommendations I feel is worth a lot more than 20k. When was the last time there was an alumni meeting or a letterman meeting asking for our opinions? I think the key to this whole situation is they came from the outside looking in! I am really excited with the leadership of the Prez!!!

• Upvote 2

I've got to get into the sports consulting business.  Who wants to go with me? 

$20,000.

Sheesh.  Harry's site here should give them all the insight they need...and, they'd be getting it free.  They should pay Harry $20,000 for already having the information on this site that the consultants will eventually come up with.

College administrators - athletic or academic, it seems - throw money out the window for obvious answers.

Here's your $20,000 answers dumbsh*t AD guys:
(1) We don't win enough, so
(2) People don't attend, and
(3) Alumni don't give to the athletic department, so
(4) We don't have any money or leverage in negotiating anything!  Conferences, marketing, scheduling, etc.
(5) SEE #1

Crazy.  Are they really so f*cking dumb in our AD that they have to pay someone $20,000 to tell them what everyone who follows the program already knows? 

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5