Hopes, dreams for Indiana game

Harry

med_gallery_1_241_1282690.jpg

Let me just say I am extremely interested in this game.

We had two weeks to prepare and heal up some key injuries. We had two weeks to help Dajon bone up on the playbook.

We had two weeks to look at the defensive issues La. Tech posed against us with a red hot QB and make adjustments.

I am not going into this game expecting a win. In fact, I would not be disappointed if we lost this game. But please don't throw out a stinker ie UT this year or Uof H a couple of years ago where the team looks physically and mentally unprepared. We're better than this. We should expect better. This isn't a powerhouse p5 team. We have every right to expect a respectable showing in this game.

What I need in this game is to see what the impact of a dual option QB threat has for our running game and entire program. For years we have had a one dimensional type of offense which has allowed teams to load up against the run. Now, with Dajon we can threaten teams who shadow our running backs. This is huge to me.

If IU decides to focus on DaJon then we should be able to run the ball effectively. If they say they will stop the run then Dajon should be able to complete the midrange passing game. I want to see this weapon used. Please don't put handcuffs on Dajon and force the power running game for 2 quarters -- let him use his god given tools.

i know you hate turnovers, but please understand that Dajon and his style of play will open us up to more situations where we could turn the ball over. It's going to happen and you are going to have to accept that it will but will also open up a LOT more offensive firepower for this program. As he matures he will learn how to protect the ball better and when to throw it away. Don't be so anti turnover that you limit what he can do in the offense.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not try to load volumes of plays and sets and reads into Dajon's harddrive. Please keep it simple. Execution is so much more important than outsmarting with looks and checks here. Some of us already suspect that part of the downfall of Greer in the first three games might have been trying to load him with too many reads. In time you will be able to implement more variety but for now, let's keep things as simple as possible.

Do not think if you get Marcus Smith 2-3 touches it is enough. I would like to see this big guy get the ball 5-10 times a game. He is a legitimate talent and with Dajon's threat to run it will only open him up even more.

Lastly -- we have everything to gain and nothing to lose in this game so let it all hang out. If we lose this game we are still right in the thick of things in C-USA west. So take a couple of reasonable chances when you can to level out the playing field. GMG

This post has been promoted to an article

Every point you made Harry is valid. I want to reiterate, PLEEAAASSEEE do not try to run power from under center for 2 straight quarters just to open it up on the 2nd half!!! Too little, too late. Play to your teams strengths. Put DW on the perimeter and give him high/low routes with the option to tuck it. I liked some of the innovation implemented in the Nichols game. Keep that going and don't tuck your tail just bc it's better competition. When they load the box run go routes to put pressure on their CB's out in man coverage. I think Chico is going to call one of his best games with DW in the game all 4 quarters. The reads will be limited, but athleticism will allow Chico to open up the playbook up in terms of getting people in open space. I legitimately think we are going to win this game. GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Let me just say I am extremely interested in this game.

We had two weeks to prepare and heal up some key injuries. We had two weeks to help Dajon bone up on the playbook.

We had two weeks to look at the defensive issues La. Tech posed against us with a red hot QB and make adjustments.

I am not going into this game expecting a win. In fact, I would not be disappointed if we lost this game. But please don't throw out a stinker ie UT this year or Uof H a couple of years ago where the team looks physically and mentally unprepared. We're better than this. We should expect better. This isn't a powerhouse p5 team. We have every right to expect a respectable showing in this game.

What I need in this game is what the impact of a dual option QB threat has for our running game and entire program. For years we have had a one dimensional type of offense which has allowed teams to load up against the run. Now, with Dajon we can threaten teams who shadow our running backs. This is huge to me.

If IU decides to focus on DaJon then we should be able to run the ball effectively. If they say they will stop the run then Dajon should be able to complete the midrange passing game. I want to see this weapon used. Please don't put handcuffs on Dajon and force the power running game for 2 quarters -- let him use his god given tools.

i know you hate turnovers, but please understand that Dajon and his style of play will open us up to more situations where we could turn the ball over. It's going to happen and you are going to have to accept that it will but will also open up a LOT more offensive firepower for this program. As he matures he will learn how to protect the ball better and when to throw it away. Don't be so anti turnover that you limit what he can do in the offense.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not try to load volumes of plays and sets and reads into Dajon's harddrive. Please keep it simple. Execution is so much more important than outsmarting with looks and checks here. Some of us already suspect that part of the downfall of Greer in the first three games might have been trying to load him with too many reads. In time you will be able to implement more variety but for now, let's keep things as simple as possible.

Do not think if you get Marcus Smith 2-3 touches it is enough. I would like to see this big guy get the ball 5-10 times a game. He is a legitimate talent and with Dajon's threat to run it will only open him up even more.

Lastly -- we have everything to gain and nothing to lose in this game so let it all hang out. If we lose this game we are still right in the thick of things in C-USA west. So take a couple of reasonable chances when you can to level out the playing field. GMG

You speak for all of us

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Great points. I don't see any reason for Chico to use the power running game the way we did with Greer as QB. I genuinely believe the game against Nicholls was DW's audition of running an offense Canales wants to run, but didn't have the centerpiece to do it. I also don't think it's irrational to go into Bloomginton and expect victory. We've had a couple of weeks to prepare and solidify our game plans on both offense AND defense. DW and our new look offense will still be relatively new to Indiana on scouting reports since they have roughly 4 quarters of footage. Your hope about Marcus Smith being more involved in the gameplan is what we all should be hoping for! He is a wonderful weapon to have and will be critical in the executions of play action and read option pass plays.

Edited by Cinquex
  • Upvote 1

Indiana is absolutely going to load up to stop the run.

Dajon's--and the receiving corps--big test will be getting 4-5 yards on quick passes, and THAT'S what the test will be, IMO. That is--can the receivers get open, can Dajon be protected long enough, and can he get them the ball. If he/they can't, it's going to be a long day. The thing I will be looking for is if the receivers are getting any separation. This is not all on Dajon or Chico. Receivers have to step up this week and help a young QB out by running correct routes and fighting for the ball, because IU defense is going to force UNT to throw. I expect DW to see some blitzing pretty regularly.

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 1

LongJim is spot on about the single biggest key to this game is receivers getting quick seperation. If your pass catchers can get clean releases consistently, I think there's a real chance for an upset here.

I would add (if the great Mr. Jim will allow it), that another big key is the ability to attack the middle of the field in the passing game, particularly the seams.

During the early part of this season, I noticed that defenses have played us largely the same way - pack the box, and play the safe passes to the flats and sidelines. I attended the LA Tech game with a buddy who played some ball at Southern Miss, and he couldn't believe how open the vertical and deep post routes were. One one stretch, he counted four consecutive plays where the receiver was running completely free, and Greer would either miss wildly with the throw or not see the guy at all.

Fast forward to this past week and DW. Remember how wide open Carlos Harris was on his TD in the first quarter? I realize that throwing over the middle requires some degree of mental toughness and a high degree of accuracy. But if you can pull it off, you force defenses to defend between the hashes 10-15 yards downfield. In that alignment, you're more vulnerable to the things we want to do most - power runs, zone-reads, and bubble screens.

• Upvote 2

Indiana is absolutely going to load up to stop the run.

Dajon's--and the receiving corps--big test will be getting 4-5 yards on quick passes, and THAT'S what the test will be, IMO. That is--can the receivers get open, can Dajon be protected long enough, and can he get them the ball. If he/they can't, it's going to be a long day. The thing I will be looking for is if the receivers are getting any separation. This is not all on Dajon or Chico. Receivers have to step up this week and help a young QB out by running correct routes and fighting for the ball, because IU defense is going to force UNT to throw. I expect DW to see some blitzing pretty regularly.

You're right, they are going to try and force DW to throw. The first sequence of plays should be pass, pass, read-option/run. Force them to respect the pass then hit them with the run once they soften. Early throws on the game should not be in DW's hands for no more than 1 second, aka 1 read routes such as bubbles/tunnels, slants, shovel pass, etc. Moving the pocket early in the game (like Nicholls) is asking for negative yardage plays/sacks. They will see that on tape and will sit a hat on the weak side of the offense to prevent it early. Pass to run and get DW on the perimeter once a rhythm is established. This offense is so unknown and it makes it 10x more exciting to watch bc of the unknowns. If it's that unknown to us, the die hards, Chico could have opposing defenses second guessing everything they do. I'm stoked for this game if you can't tell. GMG
  • Upvote 1

I expect to see Chico spread them out and roll DW out to one side or the other on a large number of plays so he only has to deal with half the field. Send most of the receivers deep to vacate the area and try to play 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 on half the field with a short and medium pass option.

Of course that will be when they aren't running power, which we will do an uncomfortable amount of times in the first half. I just hope that DW has enough success on the non power play to earn the coach's trust.

Edited by greenit

If our D can't stop their offense, it's not going to matter what DW does.

I think this game is all about our defense and how Skladany game plans.

Skladany and our D had no answers for La Tech. La Tech's D flew around more, hit harder and out hustled ours. That was a rare sight and one of the worst showings he's had here.

I believe the improvement on that side of the ball will determine the outcome.

So I believe we need to hold them under 30 points to give us a chance. If we can't....and it's up to a young somewhat unproven (vs REAL competition) QB to put up big numbers.....we could be in trouble.

Edited by TheColonyEagle

If our D can't stop their offense, it's not going to matter what DW does.

I think this game is all about our defense and how Skladany game plans.

Skladany and our D had no answers for La Tech. La Tech's D flew around more, hit harder and out hustled ours. That was a rare sight and one of the worst showings he's had here.

I believe the improvement on that side of the ball will determine the outcome.

So I believe we need to hold them under 30 points to give us a chance. If we can't....and it's up to a young somewhat unproven (vs REAL competition) QB to put up big numbers.....we could be in trouble.

La. Tech only had four decent drives in the game. Given that the Offense was giving them no help (or hope) at all, I don't think that's horrible. (Texas was very similar. Only had 4 good drives, one of which was extended due to a bad penalty)

Our D does make some mistakes at times (they're young), but they are a strong unit that's only going to get stronger as the year(s) goes on.

My thoughts as well

I have felt the D has been better this year and special teams.

We were giving up a lot of big plays in the 1st quarter last year at this point in the season. I don't think I have seen that this year yet. Our defense got better as the year progressed last year, I think this defense will just get better from game to game also.

We need Buyers to play better. I am going to assume jjones continues his solid play. If Buyers can step his game up, then our defense can be solid. He was getting beat in the Spring and it had carried over into this season. If he holds that other corner down, we can win it. If he comes with the 10 yard cushion or gets beat deep, it could be cause for concern.