Thoughts on Derek Thompson back on top

Harry

I don't see why this is any big revelation worth discussing. I thought pretty much everyone, even those who would rather see someone else get a shot, had resigned themselves to the likelihood that Derek would probably start the first couple of games with others seeing playing time later in the game so the coaches could see how they reacted in a real game. So no matter who you'd like to see playing QB this season, I don't think anyone should make too many assumptions if (and more likely, when) Derek starts the first game or 5. If he's improved (or others aren't ready), it'll stay that way, but if somebody else is up to the task then they will take over.

Of course the "coach-speak" may be a factor and they may have someone else installed on day one, but barring that I do suspect that what I restated above will be the case.

Bingo! Determining which QB takes the first snap of the first game is not that relevant in the great scheme of a season.

• Upvote 2

My time here has been Scott Hall, Jonathan Ieans,Joey Byerly, Daniel Meager, Woody Wilson, Matt Phillips, Giovanni Vizza, Nathan Tune, Rilley Dodge, DT, Mcnulty and maybe 2 I forgot. That's 2 wide outs, 2 guys ineligible, one guy who started on the green team, one benched for a quiter, one who quit, and by my count 5 who should have never been D-1 starting qbs. I've seen 2 games where 3 qbs have gotten hurt. I've seen games where passing records have been broken and we have lost and games where we passed the ball less than 10 times and have won. I think DT is one of the best Qbs that we have had in the past 9 years I have been fan........ I am no officially depressed!

2 quiters

Edited by untwillrise
  • Upvote 2

Did anyone ever think Coach Mac would not start a senior QB in the home season opener of his last Mean Green football rodeo?

We've all seen senior QB's in college football put it all together their last season and we all hope DT#7 does just that. If he doesn't then guess what? We have coaches who want to win as much as we do (obviously) :) who will go to the next QB whose earned playing time. If that QB performs well, moves this offense and scores enough to win a game, then "WALA!" that QB will start the next game. I think DT#7 will start but I think another QB or 2 will also get playing time, too. We need to have 1 or 2 other QB's who can step in at any time and we not lose a step come our conference schedule.

We have a situation here and it's a good one. We have more than 1 or 2 or 3 (or more) QB's who can most likely start at any time in this our CUSA inaugural season. No doubt that that is a good thing. Let's just allow all this to play its way out.

GMG!

A Dad Caption Joke of the Day: (insert British accent below)

"Hurry up, Froggies! Get off the field--and now!

The bloody' jousting begins in 5 minutes!

And Lady Guinevere! Save me a plate

of Queen Mum's shepherd pie--I'll be in my seat

shortly, love, after I take care of this gol' darned flesh

wound and--it's just a flesh wound!" Signed: Sir Lance'

(and some think our Wing Zone end zone seating looks weird)? :lol:

dutchmeyer_display_image.jpg?1330300027

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

in one sense I don't mean to be bashing DT. He'll do the best he can and no one can ask for more. He won't fumble away games and I don't question his leadership. But, we know what we'll get and the talent, especially at quarterback, is greater in CUSA than it was in the Belt, where our maximum win total was five.

Maybe I'm just more disappointed that Berglund hasn't stepped up. Did he not have the talent that the recruiting analysts and the Kansas and other coaching staffs, including our own, missed? Were the reports of his play on the scout team inflated? Has the hamstring not healed? Inquiring minds want to know.

Dajon Williams apparently has the talent to be our quarterback of the future but it would be a lot to ask a true freshman to carry a team with only a few weeks of learning and adjustment. I'd like to see him have a redshirt year to get up to speed and have another year of eligibility after the current group leaves.

I have no problem with DT being the opening day starter. He's earned that. On the other hand if he's not as successful as he needs to be that the staff will not be hesitant to try something new. Maybe that will be the case and this is mostly smoke and mirrors to take the pressure off of another starter. Time will tell. This is a good coaching staff and I'm hoping that they will do whatever it takes to get us in the win column.

I am behind our quarterback, whomever it may be. I'll be there as long as I'm physically able. But, we need to attract new fans by putting a winning product on the field and that hasn't happened so far with Derek Thompson.

• Upvote 5

I'm tired of bashing his play, but you're one of the top 5 posters on this board IMO. This post makes me realize why I, among many, bash DT.

I have no clue how we're going to "hit 6" with DT. I will support him, make no mistake. This team has been built up too far to not get at least 6 wins. People say qb gets too much blame sometimes. Thing is, there's a reason why the qb gets a lot of blame.

One thing to take into account is that CUSA has some very strong offenses and some of the worst defenses in the country. Sure Marshall's QB is great, but their defense gave up over 60 points twice last year, over 50 points 5 times, and over 40 points 7 times. We have to play strong defense which we are capable of, run the ball which we are also capable of, be efficient in the passing game which we haven't shown consistency at, and play good special teams which is by far the most unreliable and scary aspect of our game.

• Upvote 3

Dt is the starter and I expect him to play better than last year. Hopefully he can at least get up to average. An average qb would have this team with 6 or 7 wins.

No need to panick because dt is starting the Idaho opener. we should win and dt may even look good. Ohio, ball state, and Georgia is where the true qb competition will take place fellas. This competition will go on for at least 6 more weeks.

the first 4 games will give us an indication of where we are. The comp gets easier after that and 2 Weeks to prepare for Tulane. The Qb that will possibly finish the season will roll out there for Tulane. If it is still dt, it probably means we are sitting at 2-2 with a great chance to be 3-2. If we are 1-3, we are possibly looking for a change at qb and trying to get to 2-3 with hopes if getting back on track.

I hear dajon looks good and showed a lot of running ability in the scrimmage. Just doesnt know enough. physically he is already the best qb. He just needs to learn more and get more reps.

• Upvote 2

One thing to take into account is that CUSA has some very strong offenses and some of the worst defenses in the country. Sure Marshall's QB is great, but their defense gave up over 60 points twice last year, over 50 points 5 times, and over 40 points 7 times. We have to play strong defense which we are capable of, run the ball which we are also capable of, be efficient in the passing game which we haven't shown consistency at, and play good special teams which is by far the most unreliable and scary aspect of our game.

DT was a combined 35-80 at home last year against FCS Texas Southern, Troy, and newly FBS South Alabama. 44% completion percentage at home in 3 games against those teams.

These CUSA defenses will be better than Texas Southern, Troy, and South Alabama. How do we get a bowl game with a guy who completes 44% of his passes against those teams?

Harry, what's up? Where's the write up? Inquiring minds want to know.

I wasn't there. Rick must have mistaken me for Jub or something. Practices are closed. The AD is the only one allowed to cover practices and scrimmages. It's been that way for awhile. I do think players parents/family are allowed to attend certain practices.

It's frustrating but it is what it is.

My time here has been Scott Hall, Jonathan Ieans,Joey Byerly, Daniel Meager, Woody Wilson, Matt Phillips, Giovanni Vizza, Nathan Tune, Rilley Dodge, DT, Mcnulty and maybe 2 I forgot. That's 2 wide outs, 2 guys ineligible, one guy who started on the green team, one benched for a quiter, one who quit, and by my count 5 who should have never been D-1 starting qbs. I've seen 2 games where 3 qbs have gotten hurt. I've seen games where passing records have been broken and we have lost and games where we passed the ball less than 10 times and have won. I think DT is one of the best Qbs that we have had in the past 9 years I have been fan........ I am no officially depressed!

2 quiters

If you've seen Scott Hall play and you think that DT is a better QB, then you must have watched Scott Hall "under the influence".

We might see what Okie State did last year.

Use a vet QB between the 20's and use a duel threat QB in the Red Zone. whether it be McMuffin, Dajon or Brock-oli.

Less space for the offense to work with and DT not being a run threat limits our options.

I believe eventually DT will be phased out once we get into the season but he is our guy for now.

• Upvote 1

Since 2005 I have had very little interest in the football team till last season. It was fun going to the games and seeing hints of greatness in a few plays here and there. However, my interest peaked when BB joined the team last year. With him on board there was a chance of quality QB play. Many of us on the board went crazy with excitement of the prospect of less interceptions, over throws, and under throws. Sadly, with BB not proving to be a complete bad ass, like I assumed he was and the QB situation not changing, I am once again disappointed. I truly believe that it is impossible to make a QB more accurate when he is a senior in college. At some point you just have to realize that accuracy is not a young mans strong suit. This is the case at UNT now and sadly, will be the case this season. That is, if a change is not made at some point. Will I still have fun watching the games? Yes. Am I a little annoyed that the QB situation is the same? Yes.

We might see what Okie State did last year.

Use a vet QB between the 20's and use a duel threat QB in the Red Zone. whether it be McMuffin, Dajon or Brock-oli.

Less space for the offense to work with and DT not being a run threat limits our options.

I believe eventually DT will be phased out once we get into the season but he is our guy for now.

I would hope we could use the situational qb thing that has been sucessful for so many teams over the years, but can this staff pull that off? They seem too scary. Edited by GOMG2013

I went to the scrimmage yesterday and was not impressed at all with Derek Thompson's play. He never threw a tight spiral, his arm strength was poor and his accuracy is on par with a high school QB. I don't know what the coach saw but hopefully once he goes over the film he will come up with a true #1. Dajon looked very good with a strong arm, good accuracy and super mobile. He is young and has tons of room to grow and needs to get better at handling the snaps because he fumbled a bunch of snaps during the scrimmage. Brock I thought stood out more than anyone. He has a strong arm and can run the ball so I am definitely drinking the Berglund Koolaid.

Wow. If that's true then hopefully the coaches will have a short leash with DT.

I went to the scrimmage yesterday and was not impressed at all with Derek Thompson's play. He never threw a tight spiral, his arm strength was poor and his accuracy is on par with a high school QB. I don't know what the coach saw but hopefully once he goes over the film he will come up with a true #1. Dajon looked very good with a strong arm, good accuracy and super mobile. He is young and has tons of room to grow and needs to get better at handling the snaps because he fumbled a bunch of snaps during the scrimmage. Brock I thought stood out more than anyone. He has a strong arm and can run the ball so I am definitely drinking the Berglund Koolaid.

+1 for a hell of a first post, and welcome to the board. You new around these parts?

• Upvote 1

+1 for a hell of a first post, and welcome to the board. You new around these parts?

Lived in Denton my whole life and a long time North Texas fan, 2010 Grad but just discovered this website though. I'm glad I did because I love seeing people just like be that live North Texas and bleed green. My dad is also a letterman and his last year was Fry's first year.

• Upvote 2

I really think/hope that they are planning on phasing in a new QB. Maybe they figure to keep DT in for Idaho and the sure win. Play the other QBs once we get a comfortable lead. Play DT at Georgia, we all know how this game will go. Get the others in for a few series again. Then based off of the play start to put in place the rotation that slowly phases DT out.

Who knows. I have no clue. I was hoping for more this season. Hoping for competent QB play. Hoping for wins. It's sad that I feel this beat down and were still 13 days away from the 1st game.

• Upvote 1

This is on par with my intuition

• Upvote 2