Thoughts on Derek Thompson back on top

Harry

A few days ago, I had started to second-guess my assumption that somehow, some way, Derek Thompson was going to end up starting the season at quarterback for UNT.

Dan McCarney talked about freshman Dajon Williams like he might be the second-coming of Scott Hall (and he still might be). No one would rule Brock Berglund out of the race (at least not publicly) and I kind of wondered if UNT might shock everyone and roll Andrew McNulty out there.

Well, its looking more and more like my original assumption and the guess of a lot of people is coming to fruition.

McCarney said today that Thompson answered the bell in the key scrimmage of fall practice and (in so many words) indicated that he is in position to start the season as UNTs starting quarterback.

Let the gnashing of teeth begin.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/08/thoughts-on-derek-thompson-back-on-top.html/

I find it hard to believe that after 8 or so full contact practice/scrimmages that they have finalized their game scenario starters? Seems a bit early with 14 days left till kickoff to be doing that?

But at this point all I care about is how the battle for defensive tackles and ends are shaping up?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4

I was excited to show up in a few weeks and see someone new under center so I might have some hope...

Odd coming from the guy who seems to have endless hope for a basketball team that was horrible last year. I woulda thought you would argue for a 6th year of eligibility and a winning season in 2015

• Upvote 1

Odd coming from the guy who seems to have endless hope for a basketball team that was horrible last year. I woulda thought you would argue for a 6th year of eligibility and a winning season in 2015

Well, let us never forget that the first great Derek Thompson controversy was whether we would regret having wasted a year of his eligibility on a few late plays in one game.

• Upvote 5

There was several here who were at practice this morning...Harry included. I'm not sure why they aren't giving us a write up on it?

Rick

Yeah, I think that's the real mystery of the whole thing, kinda like "Derek Thompson emerged as leader, because...." And the National Security Council can't come up with contractors who won't leak whatever to the press. Not a real possibility here, since the "media" is stonewalling the inquiring minds.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 3

The fact that the coaching staff has waited this long to mention that DT has a good chance of being the starter tells a lot.... they don't want DT! They extended the competition an extremely long time in hopes of someone else stepping up.

I don't know what the issues are with BB and him not taking the job. I listened to Coach Mac talk about him during the coaches show, saw him during the spring game... he clearly looked like he had the most talent, and he did have a high completion percentage. Not sure if it's attitude, not wanting to follow the coach's system, or what.

Disappointed, but hopefully we're all surprised by DT's performance.

Very simple-- DT gives us the best opportunity to win. That's all any coach will tell you he can do! For all the ducks, etc. that many of you choose to thrive on , remember that someone has to be under center against UGA. Can you see Berglund, McNulty ,or even Williams in that environment? DT having played against LSU and KSU will not be fazed, and he will have receivers who can run their routes unlike after Brelan went down at MTSU. I have been saying since spring the team believes in him and the coaches believe in him. Get over it he is our QB, he won the competition. I'm sure he'll have a short leash, but I've seen a true frosh QB start at NT in Kenny Washington of Port Authur Lincoln under Coach Fry. It was not pretty no offense at all and we lost to pre death penalty SMU 7-6. Idaho is not Notre Dame, we will be fine with DT. Personally I do not fear the MAC like so many on this board. Stolich may be a better coach, but he beat a Monroe team that was very rusty after they foolishly sent their players home at winter break. I also recall Ball State was defeated in their bowl game. If the team and QB I saw at KSU shows up we will be just fine for the season. DT has done it before and gives us THE BEST OPPORTUNITY TO WIN until someone proves otherwise.

• Upvote 4

The fact that the coaching staff has waited this long to mention that DT has a good chance of being the starter tells a lot.... they don't want DT! They extended the competition an extremely long time in hopes of someone else stepping up.

8 days of contact is an extremely long time?

And where do the ideas come from that the coaches don't want Derrick or don't trust him? In three years now the coaches have brought in three or four other QB's to push DT and havent been able to find one who can unseat him yet. So,..if the coaches don't trust DT by now what does it say about the coaches abilities to evaluate talent?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

8 days of contact is an extremely long time?

And where do the ideas come from that the coaches don't want Derrick or don't trust him? In three years now the coaches have brought in three or four other QB's to push DT and havent been able to find one who can unseat him yet. So,..if the coaches don't trust DT by now what does it say about the coaches abilities to evaluate talent?

Rick

Rick you said a mouthful and your point is a heart-breaker to me and will be the primary reason for drinking shots at tailgating.

• Upvote 1

You know better than that. Other than a pro camp with a gazzilion dollar Romo, or maybe a college program with a Johnny Manzel,.Cam Newton etc, most coaches start their camp off with the usual "No one's job is safe" rhetoric.

Rick

As 90 would say, coach speak.

Y'Barbo, Lemon, Johnson, Orr, and Chancellor all went into camp as guys who the coaches said had their jobs locked up. Those guys are entering their third years as the starters, just like Thompson.

meanrob mentioned that Vito did not do analysis so I thought that I'd look at a few figures from last year's performances of quarterbacks that will be in CUSA this year.

There are nine quarterbacks this year that were regular quarterbacks last season. I looked at some game averages which is really the only way since some played in as few as eight games while Tulsa's quarterback played in 13 games (championship game was included but not bowl games).

In the quarterback rating Thompson ranked 8th with 121.78; the leader had 147.08.

Seems like a decent completion percentage of 57.5%, yet that ranked 8th. The Marshall quarterback, Cato, led with 69.5%.

Derek's 7.1 yards per passing attempt was 7th of the nine.

His TDs per passing attempt ranked 8th. Thompson had 14 touchdowns in 372 attempts. Eric Soza (UTSA) had 18 TDs in 253 throws.

Derek Thompson was 9th in interceptions per passing attempt. He had 14 in 372 attempts. The FIU quarterback only had 2 interceptions in 263 attempts.

Thompson's best category was Yards Per Game where his 219.1 yards was 5th.

He was 7th in Rushing Yards Per Attempt with .67 yards.

Finally, Derek ran and passed for an average of 1.33 TDs per game, just ahead of the UAB quarterback's 1.25.

Thompson did move the ball at times but was very poor on scoring. He had more finishes below eight than any of the others is the worst statistically of the returning quarterbacks.

Of the five teams that did not have returning quarterbacks, three could conceivably rank ahead of him by year's end. One is Scotty Young at Louisiana Tech; UTEP's quarterback was in a close match for the starting position with Johnny Football at A&M last year; and Nick, Joe Montana's son could put up some good numbers for Tulane. He's likely to rank higher than FAU's replacement and also Southern Miss.

I expect some improvement from Derek Thompson but surpassing a bevy of good quarterbacks in CUSA would be a very tall order.

• Upvote 2

meanrob mentioned that Vito did not do analysis so I thought that I'd look at a few figures from last year's performances of quarterbacks that will be in CUSA this year.

There are nine quarterbacks this year that were regular quarterbacks last season. I looked at some game averages which is really the only way since some played in as few as eight games while Tulsa's quarterback played in 13 games (championship game was included but not bowl games).

In the quarterback rating Thompson ranked 8th with 121.78; the leader had 147.08.

Seems like a decent completion percentage of 57.5%, yet that ranked 8th. The Marshall quarterback, Cato, led with 69.5%.

Derek's 7.1 yards per passing attempt was 7th of the nine.

His TDs per passing attempt ranked 8th. Thompson had 14 touchdowns in 372 attempts. Eric Soza (UTSA) had 18 TDs in 253 throws.

Derek Thompson was 9th in interceptions per passing attempt. He had 14 in 372 attempts. The FIU quarterback only had 2 interceptions in 263 attempts.

Thompson's best category was Yards Per Game where his 219.1 yards was 5th.

He was 7th in Rushing Yards Per Attempt with .67 yards.

Finally, Derek ran and passed for an average of 1.33 TDs per game, just ahead of the UAB quarterback's 1.25.

Thompson did move the ball at times but was very poor on scoring. He had more finishes below eight than any of the others is the worst statistically of the returning quarterbacks.

Of the five teams that did not have returning quarterbacks, three could conceivably rank ahead of him by year's end. One is Scotty Young at Louisiana Tech; UTEP's quarterback was in a close match for the starting position with Johnny Football at A&M last year; and Nick, Joe Montana's son could put up some good numbers for Tulane. He's likely to rank higher than FAU's replacement and also Southern Miss.

I expect some improvement from Derek Thompson but surpassing a bevy of good quarterbacks in CUSA would be a very tall order.

I'm tired of bashing his play, but you're one of the top 5 posters on this board IMO. This post makes me realize why I, among many, bash DT.

I have no clue how we're going to "hit 6" with DT. I will support him, make no mistake. This team has been built up too far to not get at least 6 wins. People say qb gets too much blame sometimes. Thing is, there's a reason why the qb gets a lot of blame.

Thanks for that Gray.

Vito keeps saying he's not as bad as people think. My question is how good has he been? And in comparison to other CUSA QBs, not very good.

The Idaho freshman went 19 of 21 (or close to that) in their scrimmage. Our guys went......

No news ain't good news.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm tired of bashing his play, but you're one of the top 5 posters on this board IMO. This post makes me realize why I, among many, bash DT.

I have no clue how we're going to "hit 6" with DT. I will support him, make no mistake. This team has been built up too far to not get at least 6 wins. People say qb gets too much blame sometimes. Thing is, there's a reason why the qb gets a lot of blame.

My theory, which I just developed a minute or two ago, is that the coaches are starting out Thompson for the first few games so as to have more time to get DW coached up by time for conference games.

• Upvote 1

My theory, which I just developed a minute or two ago, is that the coaches are starting out Thompson for the first few games so as to have more time to get DW coached up by time for conference games.

Unfortunately it's starting to sound like DW and BB are just not where they need to be mentally to start. Thing is they have the talent to give us a chance.

Still, I hope you're right.

Thanks for that Gray.

Vito keeps saying he's not as bad as people think. My question is how good has he been? And in comparison to other CUSA QBs, not very good.

The Idaho freshman went 19 of 21 (or close to that) in their scrimmage. Our guys went......

No news ain't good news.

Vito's articles about Thompson are always "he's not as bad as UNT fans make him out to be. He's actually okay, by UNT standards."

I don't see why this is any big revelation worth discussing. I thought pretty much everyone, even those who would rather see someone else get a shot, had resigned themselves to the likelihood that Derek would probably start the first couple of games with others seeing playing time later in the game so the coaches could see how they reacted in a real game. So no matter who you'd like to see playing QB this season, I don't think anyone should make too many assumptions if (and more likely, when) Derek starts the first game or 5. If he's improved (or others aren't ready), it'll stay that way, but if somebody else is up to the task then they will take over.

Of course the "coach-speak" may be a factor and they may have someone else installed on day one, but barring that I do suspect that what I restated above will be the case.

• Upvote 1