Mean Green Scoring Blues

NT03

"Too conservative" and "getting into 3rd and long situations far too frequently" obviously goes hand in hand.

Throw the damn ball, coach, and throw it before 3rd and long,

Can we EVER have a balanced offense around here?

Great article that really points out where UNT's offensive weaknesses are at the worst.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Had to be conservative bc our QB couldnt be trusted. You HAVE to have an explosive QB at the college level now. Defenses are too fast and have too many blitzes to kill an immobile QB.

While I agree, I also think play action on first down...even just 15% of the time...eases up some of that pressure and perhaps gives your QB a little momentum. Everyone in the stadium knowing that you're going up the gut sets an immobile QB up to fail on third down.

Had to be conservative bc our QB couldnt be trusted. You HAVE to have an explosive QB at the college level now. Defenses are too fast and have too many blitzes to kill an immobile QB.

So he can be trusted against LSU and K. St., yet can't be trusted against Sun Belt competition?

Really?

And y'all expect this coach to trust a QB who has never taken one snap in a FBS game?

Really?

Good luck.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Good article. It is without a doubt both on the shoulders of play calling and quarterbacking. I believe chico knows he is on the hot seat this year. Lets hope that translates into different and more aggressive play calling.

As far as the qbing goes, if Brock doesn't workout we maybe in trouble.

• Upvote 3

That article reads quarterback, quarterback, and quarterback.

Yep, I've heard it more than once that Chico couldn't use a lot of his arsenal because of the quarterback. A weak passing attack spills over into weak running as well. We could move the ball but were very weak on scoring and it cost us dearly.

Then again, Tulsa had weak passing and they were able to use one of the best running games in the country to parlay that into a championship season. It takes a special offense to make that work and maybe our offensive line is not quite as good at run-blocking.

I'm just hoping that the quarterback this year is effective enough that we can use the entire playbook and get some touchdowns instead of worrying about or relying heavily on field goals.

So he can be trusted against LSU and K. St., yet can't be trusted against Sun Belt competition?

Really?

And y'all expect this coach to trust a QB who has never taken one snap in a FBS game?

Really?

Good luck.

The thing about his play against LSU and KSU was that he never even came close to duplicating those games when we played anyone else. Its great to play up to the competition, but when you aren't going to beat those teams anyway, you really need to look at the teams you should be able to beat or compete with. DT couldn't throw the ball with any accuracy against the SBC teams or against Texas Southern and UH. Not surprising, as the year went on, the OC basically realized that he couldn't give the offense anything new becasue he couldn't throw the ball accurately or be counted on to run the ball if the pass rush came after him.

Berglund may suck big time. Hell, he may be so bad that Derek Thompson will look like Johhny Football compared to him (like he does when compared to McNulty). Its just my belief that if that comes true, then we are going to be lucky to win 3 games next year. DT doesn't help you score points--he has proven that over and over. In college football today, you better score points and get turnovers. Our QB play has been subpar to atrocious and our defense needs to create more pressure to get turnovers. Its my belief that the defense will get there only when the depth of the lines gets better. But our QB play should be able to get much better with a mobile QB that is tall and strong. Berglund represents all of that. Again, he may suck big time--but I have to believe that he will be better than DT. I think that will be proven in the spring and in the fall.

Edited by untjim1995

GrayEagle has noticed something I have noticed too. "maybe our OL is not quite that good at run blocking".

I have seen many comments on how good our OL is, but is the OL really that good enough to handle the C-USA

defensive teams this year?

I am glad Coach Mac was able to sign two quality JUCO OL players at center and offensive tackle.

These 2 players certainly will give the OL some insurance with experienced OL players.

I can see very good OL competition with spring ball. Returning starters, second team players, red shirt

freshmen, and the JUCO players. Could this group of OL players develop into a very good run blocking

OL this season? I can see it happening!

I can see multiple "position battles" occuring this spring, which will make the team stronger.

This spring ball training season is going to be the most important spring ball for Coach Mac and the staff

has had in my opinion.

GrayEagle has noticed something I have noticed too. "maybe our OL is not quite that good at run blocking".

I have seen many comments on how good our OL is, but is the OL really that good enough to handle the C-USA

defensive teams this year?

I am glad Coach Mac was able to sign two quality JUCO OL players at center and offensive tackle.

These 2 players certainly will give the OL some insurance with experienced OL players.

I can see very good OL competition with spring ball. Returning starters, second team players, red shirt

freshmen, and the JUCO players. Could this group of OL players develop into a very good run blocking

OL this season? I can see it happening!

I can see multiple "position battles" occuring this spring, which will make the team stronger.

This spring ball training season is going to be the most important spring ball for Coach Mac and the staff

has had in my opinion.

Charlie,

Surely you were watching the games?

Yes run-blocking is a strength. So is pass blocking.

But when you cannot pass the ball effectively, you see alot of packed defensive fronts. It's difficult to protect against that many men playing against your rushing game. If our passing game can open up, we'll see the opposing defenses back off a little. When they back off, you'll see an uptick in rushing because our offensive line is legit.

At least, that's the way it should work.

The thing about his play against LSU and KSU was that he never even came close to duplicating those games when we played anyone else. Its great to play up to the competition, but when you aren't going to beat those teams anyway, you really need to look at the teams you should be able to beat or compete with. DT couldn't throw the ball with any accuracy against the SBC teams or against Texas Southern and UH. Not surprising, as the year went on, the OC basically realized that he couldn't give the offense anything new becasue he couldn't throw the ball accurately or be counted on to run the ball if the pass rush came after him.

Berglund may suck big time. Hell, he may be so bad that Derek Thompson will look like Johhny Football compared to him (like he does when compared to McNulty). Its just my belief that if that comes true, then we are going to be lucky to win 3 games next year. DT doesn't help you score points--he has proven that over and over. In college football today, you better score points and get turnovers. Our QB play has been subpar to atrocious and our defense needs to create more pressure to get turnovers. Its my belief that the defense will get there only when the depth of the lines gets better. But our QB play should be able to get much better with a mobile QB that is tall and strong. Berglund represents all of that. Again, he may suck big time--but I have to believe that he will be better than DT. I think that will be proven in the spring and in the fall.

When you are only throwing in very obvious passing situations,(and sometimes, not even then) and continue to bull-headedly attempt to run the ball against 8 and sometimes 9 man fronts, you are not putting your QB in a position to be successful (I.e. build confidence).

I REALLY hope Berglumd comes out and blows everyone away in Spring practice, particularly the head coach. If he doesn't, you won't see any change in the way this offense is run.

And make no mistake, we were one of the worst offenses in college football because we were also one of the most predictable offenses in college football.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Charlie,

Surely you were watching the games?

Yes run-blocking is a strength. So is pass blocking.

But when you cannot pass the ball effectively, you see alot of packed defensive fronts. It's difficult to protect against that many men playing against your rushing game. If our passing game can open up, we'll see the opposing defenses back off a little. When they back off, you'll see an uptick in rushing because our offensive line is legit.

At least, that's the way it should work.

Exactly. The eye in the sky never lies. Watch the film and you'll see how well our line performed.

Explosive playmakers will really help show off how good they are. Our vice-versa. Either way, I can't wait to see this offense.

Exactly. The eye in the sky never lies. Watch the film and you'll see how well our line performed.

Explosive playmakers will really help show off how good they are. Our vice-versa. Either way, I can't wait to see this offense.

I do have to fault the coaching a bit for not giving DT more chances to pass the ball, but looking at last year's record, there are a few games were an errant pass may have cost the team a valuable win or where a perfect pass might have stolen the victory for our guys. The FAU, Troy, South Alabama, and ULL games could've gone either way depending on what DT's passing may have resulted in. Considering he's 1:1 for INTs to TDs, it's quite a risk.

If DT were more consistent, we might have had a different 2012 season. Instead of 4-8, we may have had a 6-6 season, or even an 8-4 season (had he not had so many INTs at MTSU and if KState had crumbled a bit more). He is really close to breaking through, but I don't think the coaches want to risk that, not without a backup plan at least. I'm expecting to see Berglund and Thompson fight it out early in the season during practices and early games.

I just want more consistent QB play. It doesn't have to be high-flying, every-pass-goes-for-20 offense, but it has to be enough to get the defense from playing the run every down. Some of that is on the coaches to find new schemes to keep the defenses honest. Some of that is also on the line to keep doing a great job of pass blocking (which they did, DT only got 6 sacks last season), and it's also on the QBs to show it at practice and on gameday.

I don't care who we end up with as long as they score.

I do have to fault the coaching a bit for not giving DT more chances to pass the ball, but looking at last year's record, there are a few games were an errant pass may have cost the team a valuable win or where a perfect pass might have stolen the victory for our guys. The FAU, Troy, South Alabama, and ULL games could've gone either way depending on what DT's passing may have resulted in. Considering he's 1:1 for INTs to TDs, it's quite a risk.

If DT were more consistent, we might have had a different 2012 season. Instead of 4-8, we may have had a 6-6 season, or even an 8-4 season (had he not had so many INTs at MTSU and if KState had crumbled a bit more). He is really close to breaking through, but I don't think the coaches want to risk that, not without a backup plan at least. I'm expecting to see Berglund and Thompson fight it out early in the season during practices and early games.

I just want more consistent QB play. It doesn't have to be high-flying, every-pass-goes-for-20 offense, but it has to be enough to get the defense from playing the run every down. Some of that is on the coaches to find new schemes to keep the defenses honest. Some of that is also on the line to keep doing a great job of pass blocking (which they did, DT only got 6 sacks last season), and it's also on the QBs to show it at practice and on gameday.

I don't care who we end up with as long as they score.

Well, despite the conservative play calls and man coverage he still threw 14 interceptions last year. He does deserve some credit on not getting sacked many times, but of course so does the line.

We'll see. You're right, it shouldn't matter who is at qb as long as they are more productive.

College football is a man's game altogether, but it really takes a football player to score in the red zone. Red zone football is not for the faint of heart and that's why Jimmerson was really our only back who could score, not to mention our red-zone passing woes.

• Upvote 1

That article reads quarterback, quarterback, and quarterback.

I could not agree more. We could have been a real contender the last couple of years (especailly last year) with a better QB running the offense. Clearly, the play calling was not perfect last season, but you have to work with what you got. I think fear of turn overs and bad passes was haunting the coaching staff. I hope Thompson improves greatly or Berglund is as good as we think he is. The spring game should be an exciting one.

Edited by North Texas Shep

The nightmare of the trick play against Troy still haunts my dreams.

Well, we were 0 fer however many trick plays against Troy, but after that game it was like we went into a shell from which we would not venture. I do think there are reasons to believe the offense can improve noticeably next year. I had a brother-in-law in town from Boise, so of course he has a lot to say about college football. He liked everything he saw except that "the passing game doesn't come up to division 1 standards". We at least need to pass to set up the run.

• Upvote 1

I had a brother-in-law in town from Boise, so of course he has a lot to say about college football. He liked everything he saw except that "the passing game doesn't come up to division 1 standards". We at least need to pass to set up the run.

That is it exactly. The entire passing game was not good. Our WR corps were as weak as I can remember. DT did nothing to help things. But, the blame should go to everyone associated with the passing game, not just DT.

The WR position looks to be upgraded this fall. And, I am excited to see what Brock can do. But, if Brock is not the answer, I would expect DT to look better this year with the potential improvements at WR.

• Upvote 3

side note i went back and watched the 2012 conference USA championship game between UCF and Tulsa its a good game if your interested in watching it

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player?id=687889

there are going to be some tough games this year they look quite large and fast

I watched that game last year too and it was really good. I was disappointed in the fan turnout for Tulsa though. They are a very good program and will be a Major challenge for us this year.