Road to bowl eligibility

UNT90

UNT90....agree with 10 in....saw one time we had one reciever...man to man and everyone in the box...does DT have the green light to audible a quick slant in that case?

My uneducated guess would be absolutely not, because he never does, and it isn't too hard to see exactly what the defense is doing. It is pretty clear that Coach Mac has zero confidence in the passing game, be it the receivers, DT, or a combination of both.

When we do throw, about 60% of the passes are screen passes. Very few downfield shots.

This is a recipe for disaster against the next 2 teams we play.

It is pretty clear that Coach Mac has zero confidence in the passing game

I believe this is why our play-calling is so conservative. If you look back when Mac was at Iowa State with Seneca Wallace at QB and decent receivers, Wallace racked up some obscene passing numbers.

I believe Mac knows what he has on his roster, and executes a game plan that gives us our best chance to win and minimizes the potential blowouts.

• Upvote 1

I'd be surprised if we make it to 6-6. Even if we did, I would not be in favor of playing in a bowl in the event we were asked. With the exception of maybe the final 10 minutes of the game, I saw uninspired football against a bad USA team. You all do realize how many "gifts" we received last night?

I like DT, but he just doesn't get the ball off quick enough and he telegraphs where he's throwing it. Until we get a high quality QB on campus we'll struggle for wins. And the transfer hasn't played a down of football in a while so don't go there. I think we have a few players riding the pine who transferred in from high profile programs.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 4

Even if we finish 6-6, which I doubt, there is no way we get a bowl game. Sun Belt is going to have at least 3 teams sitting on 7+ wins.

I don't know about any contractual obligations towards teams below first. If a 6-win team finishes strong by beating ULM and WKU, it might appease the other Belt bowls into consideration above a 7 or 8 win team that tanked at the end (especially if they lost to us).

Anyone know the contractual obligations of all the Belt bowl tie-ins?

• Upvote 1

I'd be surprised if we make it to 6-6. Even if we did, I would not be in favor of playing in a bowl in the event we were asked. With the exception of maybe the final 10 minutes of the game, I saw uninspired football against a bad USA team. You all do realized how many "gifts" we received last night?

I like DT, but he just doesn't get the ball off quick enough and he telegraphs where he's throwing it. Until we get a high quality QB on campus we'll struggle for wins. And the transfer hasn't played a down of football in a while so don't go there. I think we have a few players riding the pine who transferred in from high profile programs.

I wonder who you are talking about??

• Upvote 1

I'd be surprised if we make it to 6-6. Even if we did, I would not be in favor of playing in a bowl in the event we were asked. With the exception of maybe the final 10 minutes of the game, I saw uninspired football against a bad USA team. You all do realize how many "gifts" we received last night?

USA beat themselves often and penalties saved us often. The play calling was just terrible...ran on just about every 1st down...I can't count the number of 2nds and 8 - 13 yrds...if we don't have the playmakers on the field , then why are do we continue to throw the fade...why are we not throwing more 5-10 yrd slants...I don't recall seeing any misdirection plays and we didn't have a pass rush until the 4th qtr....and once again our secondary leaves receivers 10 yrds open...they repeatedly made 3rd and 8-23 yrd throws, making a 1st....this team just looks BAD...and so far they have proved it...I still think coaching is a BIG part of the failures this year...the play calling is just terrible and we don't seem to fix the prior weeks problems...like coverage of receivers...et al
  • Upvote 1

Why would we ever decline a bowl invitation? Seems like we'd always accept the best offer, for recruiting alone if nothing else.

• Upvote 1

I have one piece of advice to people regarding Berglund, and that is don't categorize him with other players. Don't categorize him with other players who have gotten in law trouble, other players who have transferred multiple times, etc. Let him be who he is, Brock Berglund. He's a good guy who is very driven by the opportunity God has given him.

You're right, the jury is still out on Berglund but he has the potential. There is no denying his skills.

You say to "don't go there" urging us not to suggest Berglund based on nothing, yet you do "go there" as for criticizing him based on nothing. The truth is, he has arm strength and athleticism that far outclasses that of Derek Thompson. This will open up the playbook greatly compared to what we have been able to run this year.

The one thing Thompson has done a decent job of in his career is not turning the ball over. This means to me that we at least will have a backup that won't come in there and just lose the game for us by turning the ball over.

We'll see in spring ball, but the good thing is we have options for once.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Some of you guys are real buzzkills.

I brought some friends and family to the game last night. It was the first time some of them had attended a UNT football game . They thought the stadium was totally cool, liked the windmills, and really got into the game. While I will concede that is was far from a perfect game, it was a nice come from behind win that had its exciting moments. We all had a good time.

Look, it's ok to be a homer every once in a while. I hope we get to 6-6, But, just for once, enjoy the win.

• Upvote 1

I believe this is why our play-calling is so conservative. If you look back when Mac was at Iowa State with Seneca Wallace at QB and decent receivers, Wallace racked up some obscene passing numbers.

I believe Mac knows what he has on his roster, and executes a game plan that gives us our best chance to win and minimizes the potential blowouts.

Agreed. Coach Mac knows exactly what he has on this team (and what he doesn't have) - and he's going to direct his Asst Coaches to run schemes that best utilize the team's talents. This year does remind me a lot of Dickey Ball, and Coach Dickey was good at using schemes that didn't expose his team's weaknesses and thus gave the team a chance to win. Frustrating at times (and can be boring to the casual fan) - but can also be effective when the team doesn't have a lot of play-makers on offense.

If Brock is able to win the QB job next year and lives up to his billing, then this offense will be much less conservative. I'm looking forward to getting the zone read back into the playbook - Jim Jim would really thrive off of that play with his quickness.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have one piece of advice to people regarding Berglund, and that is don't categorize him with other players. Don't categorize him with other players who have gotten in law trouble, other players who have transferred multiple times, etc. Let him be who he is, Brock Berglund. He's a good guy who is very driven by the opportunity God has given him.

You're right, the jury is still out on Berglund but he has the potential. There is no denying his skills.

You say to "don't go there" urging us not to suggest Berglund based on nothing, yet you do "go there" as for criticizing him based on nothing. The truth is, he has arm strength and athleticism that far outclasses that of Derek Thompson. This will open up the playbook greatly compared to what we have been able to run this year.

The one thing Thompson has done a decent job of in his career is not turning the ball over. This means to me that we at least will have a backup that won't come in there and just lose the game for us by turning the ball over.

We'll see in spring ball, but the good thing is we have options for once.

All I am saying is, no one has seen Berglund play. He may very well be a fine person, and a tremendous QB for North Texas. And I'll be the first to cheer him on. Let's get him on the field before we anoint him the football savior.

• Upvote 1

We struggle to beat USA by 10 and we're talking about getting to or declining bowl games? I'm glad we won but outside of 2 plays on offense we were not appreciably better than the team we just played.

Pointing out that the opportunity exists and being optimistic about said opportunity are 2 completely different things.

• Upvote 1

Totally enjoyed it! So happy we had wind yesterday versus clouds and rain like today. The team opened and closed Apogee 2012 with wins! I saw the team win in Boca Raton. I saw the team win on national tv from California. It has been a strange season but an overall FUN and memorable one.

Now onto ULM and Shreveport for some blackjack.

GO Mean Green!!!!!

• Upvote 2