Breaking news -- Chris Jones, Jordan Williams ineligible

Brett Vito

A few of us had an inkling this was gonna take place a few days ago, but I was hoping they could do enough makeup work or whatever before today. Obviously it didn't happen.

It's time for Trey and Alzee to shine. Hold the rope guys.

GMG.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not having been a college athlete, I must ask: is th

Is the required gpa really a 1.8?

Either they both elected to major in physics; or they didn't make the correlation between going to class and getting to play basketball.

Hopefully sitting out will apply the appropriate degree of perspective.

[sigh]

Of course they knew the situation, and probably were trying as hard as they could to get these guys to makeup work and tests from missing classes for basketball throughout the break. Today was the last possible moment that they could have qualified. Look at the 4 weeks as a grace period.

Getting the team ready for an absence: Do you honestly think that putting Forest Robinson out there after sitting him for so long was what Johnny really wanted to do?

No, no, no. If they were trying to get them eligible then they would have them devote all their time to make up work not basketball. Not sure how you think getting Robinson some minutes shows anyting, how about letting them set out and not touch a basketball till the issue is resolved. Do you really think using them in all the between the semesters games helped the team? NT would have been better off if they had lost all those games, at least they would have a rotation established for the remainder of the season. Four week grace period, bull.

Now the exhibition game takes on great importance, as it is the teams' one opportunity to get a new lineup established before it counts.

You find these things out in December man...

That's my point. People are talking like the AD didn't know and/or was caught flat footed. They had four weeks to get whatever makeup work done they could. If the guys couldn't get it done in that time frame, they bare most of the responsibility.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Can we get a pass on the 'no cussing/swearing' policy for just this thread?

I'd also like clarification on if/how the rules changed after John Wall (or was it Derrick Rose)went through his entire freshman season at Kentucky without ever stepping foot in class. Was that just a bogus rumor? Honest question....and no, I don't condone trying to cheat the system.

• Upvote 1

I'd also like clarification on if/how the rules changed after John Wall (or was it Derrick Rose)went through his entire freshman season at Kentucky without ever stepping foot in class. Was that just a bogus rumor? Honest question....and no, I don't condone trying to cheat the system.

Memphis has a lot more money then we do... haha

• Upvote 1

Kentucky has never been known for making their basketball players be students. Whether true or not, they have a horrendous reputation as far as that goes.

I will be "very surprised" if we ever see Jones or Williams wear the green and white uniform of UNT again.

why? so they failed a semester. they still have time to right their own ship and continue on with their academic and bball life at north texas. the school isn't going to kick them out just because they failed one semester.

Edited by THOR
  • Upvote 1

LEXINGTON, KY--Kentucky coach John Calipari has had enough of John Wall’s “frustration” and on Monday decided to send a message to the talented freshman. The message? If Wall doesn’t “shape up” he will be forced to attend classes, do his own homework, and take his own tests, like many other players on the team.

... Other people may/can attend class for you. Wall had a proxy if you will...

• Upvote 1

No, no, no. If they were trying to get them eligible then they would have them devote all their time to make up work not basketball. Not sure how you think getting Robinson some minutes shows anyting, how about letting them set out and not touch a basketball till the issue is resolved. Do you really think using them in all the between the semesters games helped the team? NT would have been better off if they had lost all those games, at least they would have a rotation established for the remainder of the season. Four week grace period, bull.

Now the exhibition game takes on great importance, as it is the teams' one opportunity to get a new lineup established before it counts.

Yes, Yes, Yes.

Today might have been the first day we heard about this, but it's not the first day the athletic dept. knew. Hell, today isn't even the first day I knew. I follow the twitter feeds fairly closely and both the players knew they weren't doing well LONG before December.

How does getting Robinson minutes all of the sudden not show that JJ had an indication that they weren't going to be able to qualify? It's obvious. He's played maybe 10 minutes combined in the first few games. Mysteriously didn't play for a VERY long time until 2 games ago. It's not coincidence.

You might be right that we may have been better off sitting them, who knows? But if they were able to qualify (which to my knowledge, their last chance was today) it wouldn't have been a dumb idea to play them. The exhibition game could not have come at a better time.

I heard a long time ago that you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink. I am not giving the athletic dept. a pass but at some point it was up to the players.

And will people stop with the ignorant stereotypes that college athletes dont have to do anything but show up for class and all else is taking care of. This aint the movie Blue Chips, I had multiple multiple classes at UNT with both football and basketball players and they were always there for class and had to do the same as the rest of us. So give me a break with this preferential treatment crap that college athletes get.

All you are doing is diminishing the degrees that guys like George Odufawa and Quincy Williams earned and many others who were great student-athletes.

• Upvote 5

I'm not giving JJ or the rest of the staff a pass... but I had classes with much less heralded scholarship athletes and I saw how easy they had it. The only way these kids could fail is by not caring enough to attend class. If you receive that kind of assistance and can't manage to pass your classes... that's all on you.

Some of our Football players that are currently eligible played basketball in high school – they should have been asked for help – I know we have some players from small towns like Krum that are currently attending here that could try out for a walk on - now we have 9 players - we need 10 just to practice – remember the same problem last year

– I agree what was said earlier about what the players have to do to get passing grades – if they really care they can get the help they need

– I am not sure either of these players will be back next year.

What went wrong – you have to start at the top – if it is not being handled there then it’s slipping all the way down the line.

I am not sure either of these players will be back next year.

I don't know why anyone would think this unless they believe that Jordan and Chris are so embarrassed that they just leave. They aren't going to transfer, and either kwitting basketball and JUCO are the two other options. They have a semester of no basketball to study and get their GPA up and they will be back to being division 1 athletes before missing even 15 games.

Edited to fix the GMG.com autocorrect.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1