Give Up?

When Louisiana took the lead by a 27-10 count with about nine minutes left in the game, did anyone else think it was a give up to pull Thompson and put McNulty in. I thought it was a huge waving of the white flag...and I'm not thrilled about it.

Also, if we're going to put someone in, why are we putting in the kid who threw a couple of pick sixes the last time he saw the field? Is it just unspoken that we're not going to see Osborn is serious situations this year?

I know it was highly improbable that we overcome a 17 point deficit in nine minutes. But...why just lay down? It's not a good message to send the team.

I like about 90% of what McCarney has done. But, honestly, some of it makes me scratch my head.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

When Louisiana took the lead by a 27-10 count with about nine minutes left in the game, did anyone else think it was a give up to pull Thompson and put McNulty in. I thought it was a huge waving of the white flag...and I'm not thrilled about it.

Also, if we're going to put someone in, why are we putting in the kid who threw a couple of pick sixes the last time he saw the field? Is it just unspoken that we're not going to see Osborn is serious situations this year?

I know it was highly improbable that we overcome a 17 point deficit in nine minutes. But...why just lay down? It's not a good message to send the team.

I like about 90% of what McCarney has done. But, honestly, some of it makes me scratch my head.

I was thinking the same thing, just like i said in my other post. Why are you taking out your qb because he cant get the ball down field to replace him with another qb who can throw a slant

McNulty is the back up quarterback. Why is that so hard to understand?

Because he's not good and McCarney's staff recruited Osborne to come in and challenge Thompson for the starting spot... that's why.

We've still yet to see Osborne in any significant minutes. The only time we've seen him, he's outstanding... granted, it's garbage time and he's playing against 2nd-3rd string defenders.

• Upvote 4

We need to stop blasting the kids and blast this HC for failing to sign a legit D1 QB.

No he didn't inherit one but he had plenty time to find one! We're paying this guy twice as much and he is not getting the job done. He talks a good game but has yet to tell us when he will turn this mess around.

What motivation does he have as a 58 year old coach with a 5 year guaranteed contract? In the meantime, Long suffering UNT fans and Alums are screwed for another 5 years; without advancing the program. Most of our 2012 commitments appear to be a class Dodge

would be proud of.

In the meantime,

Edited by Cooley
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

I think the point is that this season is lost. At best we may finish 4-8. Many fans would like to see all the QBs see meaningful game minutes against our opponents starters, so we might have a better idea if any of them are gamers. Some guys find a way to make things happen when it's game time. Until Mac lets the fans see what each of them can do under real game conditions, people will continue to questions some of his decisions.

I think McNulty will be a good QB. Of the 3, I think he has the most talent. I think he has solid arm, and good athleticism, but he is not ready to be the starter. Osborn needs a chance to show what he can do.

This offense is stalled. Something has to change.

• Upvote 1

We need to stop blasting the kids and blast this HC for failing to sign a legit D1 QB.

This.

Recruiting guys, do we have any QB prospects being seriously recruited? I don't know how we can't address this issue. ULL has two QBs in their class this year that look above average.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

yes he gave up on DT, and unfortunately it looks like it was time. he just isn't getting better.

What motivation does he have as a 58 year old coach with a 5 year guaranteed contract?

A 58-year-old coach can still have a lot of career ahead of him. McCarney's got the defense back to respectability in his first season. He just needs a similar upgrade on offense and we'll be challenging for Sun Belt titles and bowl trips.

I an curious how our SEC/Big 12 coach git out coached in the 2nd half by a first year coach. 13-10 game and then we do nothing the entire second half. Drive great once again between the 20's the suck in the RZ, then proceed to see our veteran DBs get torched immediately after just like clock work

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

...and drove us 60 yards in 44 seconds. 2 passes of 26 & 24 yards to TE Drew Miller (don't know why we don't use the TE more often). Most offense we had seen since the 1st quarter.

Meanwhile DT had 3+ qtrs to get a whopping 86 yards & go 11 for 22 with a 73.6% passer efficiency rating. Why not give Osborne a chance?

• Upvote 1

Meanwhile DT had 3+ qtrs to get a whopping 86 yards & go 11 for 22 with a 73.6% passer efficiency rating. Why not give Osborne a chance?

If we can see this, you know the players see it also. Mac is gonna lose his players just like Tod D lost his players. Then how can we recruit that D1 QB and play makers everyone wants. Now or soon Mac's task will be to get some respect from his players and coaches. I hope I am wrong but see what losing does to our attendance, now what is it doing to our players.

Let's support the players, they have no control over play calling or who plays in the games.

• Upvote 3

Some of you are brutal.

Some of you have no idea what you are talking about.

Thompson was in obvious pain last night. I'm kind of surprised he stayed in as long as he did.

It's not a give up to put McNulty in. He's got no redshirt anymore. He's a freshmen, and we don't have many freshmen QBs on the roster.

I would prepare to see more of him if I were you guys.

...and drove us 60 yards in 44 seconds. 2 passes of 26 & 24 yards to TE Drew Miller (don't know why we don't use the TE more often). Most offense we had seen since the 1st quarter.

Surely Mac mentioned that this was all against the second team defense when the game was out of reach. Important to keep things in perspective, right?

• Upvote 3

At the risk of starting another conspiracy theory, I'm starting to wonder if there is some kind of an off the field issue/conflict with Osborne. Mac does seem to keep things pretty close to the vest, and considering the alternatives, not giving a guy with significant post-high school experience a shot seems strange at best. An explanation wouldn't hurt, since DT's injury seems to be lingering, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a whole lot more of McNulty from here on out.

Some of you are brutal.

Don't worry. Some of us saw the fact that Thompson could barely walk last week at Apogee, yet played his ass off in that game. That, combined with the fact that he's not that great of a running threat when healthy...well, never mind. Carry on.

• Upvote 1