McCarney on Why He Started McNulty

Harry

I realize we aren't even at the halfway mark of the season and all these guys return (along with Cooper Jones) next year. Finding a bonafide D1 QB has to be a high priority, right?

I'm frustrated that we change coaches every 4-5 years. These guys come in with every intention of taking the whole time to build the program. We are up to about 10 HS commitments and none of them blows me away.

I appreciate the coach coming in and trying to build character but what did Darius Carey do to kick him off the team? We are paying these guys twice as much and getting the same results. Mr. MacCarney, I continue to hear you say that you guys know what you are doing and will turn the program around. You've never said when!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 8

I realize we aren't even at the halfway mark of the season and all these guys return (along with Cooper Jones) next year. Finding a bonafide D1 QB has to be a high priority, right?

I'm frustrated that we change coaches every 4-5 years. These guys come in with every intention of taking the whole time to build the program. We are up to about 10 HS commitments and none of them blows me away.

I appreciate the coach coming in and trying to build character but what did Darius Carey do to kick him off the team? We are paying these guys twice as much and getting the same results. Mr. MacCarney, I continue to hear you say that you guys know what you are doing and will turn the program around. You've never said when!

I think they have repeated said it will not be an overnight turnaround. RV also has said this. It's going to be a long and painful year, again. At least one. Sorry, but that is the reality.

• Upvote 3

well, I'm grading you Dan Mac and it isn't so good...your evaluation of a qb leaves something to be desired...you have lost all but one game and almost lost that in the 4th qtr....two losses had no offensive points...your killing attendance and in my opinion, this was a winable game...especially with Brent as the QB. So, whats the problem?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 11

Obviously, our main problem at Tulsa U was Derek Thompson's wrapped up ankle which sidelined our starting QB. He was the one who commondeered our Big 10 win over Indiana last I checked. Last year at this time neither one of our backups were even on our campus.

And on Head Football Coaches turnover? Boise State lost 5 head football coaches in the space of 10-11 years and were still able to stay in the Top 25 through each HFC's turnover. That was an amazing accomplishment IMO. I think Coach Mac will get this football program in the Top 25 within 4 years. We now have a stadium that is Top 25 worthy and fans who will be falling all over themselves trying to get into Apogee Stadium once this happens. It's All Good! It's All Green, right FFR?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Take it easy man. No offense but irrational fans like you are what makes being a coach even more difficult. Honestly I expected this team to go 0-5 through the first 5 games of this season, beating Indy was a pleasant suprise. This coach has been handed a team with close to 0 talent and no football iq whatsoever, as he has openly stated many times. He's testing out his theories and seeing what works right now, let him do that. Everyone needs to relax, support what he's trying to do and drop these crazy expectations.

This

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I think the problem is this "irrational fan" has watched each game except Tulsa, which I listened to, and based on game observations, McNulty is not ready to play and has not come close to out-performing Osborn or Thompson. I don't care what heooks like in practice, it hasn't translated to games.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I for one am glad McCarney doesn't put up with guys repeatedly failing drug tests after being given plenty of chances to pass one.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

well, I'm grading you Dan Mac and it isn't so good...your evaluation of a qb leaves something to be desired...you have lost all but one game and almost lost that in the 4th qtr....two losses had no offensive points...your killing attendance and in my opinion, this was a winable game...especially with Brent as the QB. So, whats the problem?

I didn't realize breaking the school record for back to back attendance is considered "killing attendance"

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Take it easy man. No offense but irrational fans like you are what makes being a coach even more difficult. Honestly I expected this team to go 0-5 through the first 5 games of this season, beating Indy was a pleasant suprise. This coach has been handed a team with close to 0 talent and no football iq whatsoever, as he has openly stated many times. He's testing out his theories and seeing what works right now, let him do that. Everyone needs to relax, support what he's trying to do and drop these crazy expectations.

Thank you for the reality check. I still had people asking me what happened last night that never would have asked before this year.

We've never had back to back games that involved Houston and Indiana either. Think that coupled with the opening of a new stadium might have something to do with it?

I agree that those things factored in to the attendance. However, wouldn't you say that McCarney getting out and selling the program, meeting with all incoming freshmen, and us having a new head coach who is a legit D-1 head coach had a positive effect on the attendance rather than "killing" it?

• Upvote 2

Ok, I will accept his rationale for starting McNulty.

Now can he explain why it took so long to play his backup after the chosen starter proved to be ineffective?

Can you explain why we continue to play DE's and DT's that cannot get sacks or QB pressure consistently, or CB's that continue to give up 40+ yard TD's every week? Oh wait...

• Upvote 2

UNT fans are amazing. You turned on Coach Dickey during a streak of 4 straight conference championships and 4 straight coach-of-the-year awards. Now you're turning on a coach after his first four games on the job. Four games in which he beat a Big-10 team.

Amazing

God bless Texas!

Edited by GTWT
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

have to get credit to DMac he already has the fans turning on each other after 5 games, even Dickey and Dodge could not do this, but I guess when you have a career record of 30+ games under .500 it should be expected, just hope it does not take him 5 years to get us to a bowl like it took him at ISU.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I for one am glad McCarney doesn't put up with guys repeatedly failing drug tests after being given plenty of chances to pass one.

Some people feel that certain drugs should be legalized! I guess Carey is the the only kid in America doing drugs. (if true)

Cam Newton's camp was on payroll and kept playing! This is a perennial bottom ten program. Build the program first before cleaning it up. It's not morally right but it's right out of building a program 101.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 12