Unt Turf

the stands are further from the field than i thought, not fouts like, but not as close as i was hoping. damn...the grass looks good!

I was thinking the same thing, but I'm not sure if it is some sort of optical illusion or not. The sidelines should be a little bit past where the grass is right now, and then you have the "boxes" on the sideline where the teams stand. I think it will look much closer once all that is in place...

The stands would be closer if they had gone straight across instead of curving it. I like the curve though, because when they are straight it makes it much harder to see things on the other end of the field because you are looking at the backs of peoples heads (see K-state). Either way, it is closer than Fouts, but I am literally going to measure both Fouts and the new stadium when its done to see how much closer.

I was thinking the same thing, but I'm not sure if it is some sort of optical illusion or not. The sidelines should be a little bit past where the grass is right now, and then you have the "boxes" on the sideline where the teams stand. I think it will look much closer once all that is in place...

I think once all the turf is laid out people will still think it's far away... not until the first game, when you realize that you are basically on top of the players are people going to realize how close the stands really are

• Upvote 1

I think once all the turf is laid out people will still think it's far away... not until the first game, when you realize that you are basically on top of the players are people going to realize how close the stands really are

Could very well possibly be that just because it's the end of the "roll" does'nt necessarily mean that's the sideline. Could be a seam there, and continue another 15-20 feet until the sideline. Let hope :-)

The stands would be closer if they had gone straight across instead of curving it. I like the curve though, because when they are straight it makes it much harder to see things on the other end of the field because you are looking at the backs of peoples heads (see K-state). Either way, it is closer than Fouts, but I am literally going to measure both Fouts and the new stadium when its done to see how much closer.

Regarding the optical illusion, I think there is some truth to that if you are looking via the web cam. The stands all look much steeper when you look at them in person than they do through the web cam. The web cam likely makes the field look wider as well.

Regarding the curves, I don't think curves alone make the stands further away. You could look at it that the curves make the corners closer to the playing area than you could possibly get near the middle of the field simply because you need and area for the players and others to stand. See pic below...

QXAFNMZYFYYSJIP.20101206214636.jpg

Looking at the north end zone goalpost, with "wing Zone" in the background, I'm amazed at how massive a structure the zone really is. Impressive in person too.

"Wing Zone" is indeed MUCH more impressive in person. Renderings, webcam and photos don't do the thing justice. I'm very interested in seeing the view from the top of the wing tip.

The grandstands are curved for a good reason.

They allow fans to be as close as possible to the game while still allowing enough room for ESPN's camera platform to move along the sideline.

Thinking the same thing. And going by the overhead map, and according to my Mathmatitricalculationisms, the 7th row in the middle three sections should place the fan at about 66 feet, give or take a foot, from the edge of the field of play?

Rick

Thinking the same thing. And going by the overhead map, and according to my Mathmatitricalculationisms, the 7th row in the middle three sections should place the fan at about 66 feet, give or take a foot, from the edge of the field of play?

Rick

What's the difference between that and the same spot at Fouts?

A CRAP load, considering the front row at the 50 yard line at Fouts is 33 1/2 yards, or a bit over 100 feet from the sideline.

foutsseatdistance.jpg

So figure the 7th row at MG Stadium is equivalent in distance to the sideline as the 7th outside lane of the track at Fouts is to the sideline.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

About a drivable par 4. Rick's calculations sound spot on. From viewing the webcam images and remembering my time on that sideline, I would quess that the wall separating the fans from the field at the new stadium would have been around lane 2 or 3 on the track. And, that wall curves in quicker because you do not have a 100 yard straightaway at the new facility. Tremendous improvement. The volume will be exponentially better!!

• Upvote 1

I've gone out for two days in a row to try and measure the distance from the stands to the field at Fouts, but they have had it locked up both days.

I love the stadium, but for the life of me I can't figure out why they wouldn't put the stands as close to the field as possible. I know some people think it is for TV cameras, but isn't that what the concrete "walkway" right in front of the stands is for? There is a lot of extra space there.

It is what it is. If this is the only complaint, we have a pretty darn good upgrade, considering absolutely everything at Fouts was complaint worthy.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I love the stadium, but for the life of me I can't figure out why they wouldn't put the stands as close to the field as possible. I know some people think it is for TV cameras, but isn't that what the concrete "walkway" right in front of the stands is for? There is a lot of extra space there.

It is what it is. If this is the only complaint, we have a pretty darn good upgrade, considering absolutely everything at Fouts was complaint worthy.

seriously?

Link to sideline pic

Mean Green Matt, how much closer do you think they could've made it?? A couple of feet? There are a ton of players, coaches, trainers, and equipment on the sidelines of a game.

Edited by mdh0192