Tony Mitchell In Process Of Enrolling @North Texas!

Harry

I hope it works out for you guys and Tony. The few times I've met him, he seemed like a decent kid. I wouldn't count my chickens, though. The rumors & heads seem to think he's not going to play next year, if the NBA avoids a lockout this offseason. Beyond that, this thread shows basically no understanding of his transcripts and academic situation. As Tasty Greek said, be happy about this, if only for the profile of it. Everything else is speculative.

Ok, I get blasted for using different words to say the exact same thing. To me, the POSSIBILITY of this guy playing for us wasn't worthy of the tease. That's all I said. Those name calling should calm down.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

How sure are we that he will ever get cleared to play. He has obvious academic issues because he could never play at Missouri. Is he eligible next year if he posts good grades at college (like old Prop 48 kids). Or is there a chance that he is never eligible because of the issues with his high school transcripts?

How sure are we that he will ever get cleared to play. He has obvious academic issues because he could never play at Missouri. Is he eligible next year if he posts good grades at college (like old Prop 48 kids). Or is there a chance that he is never eligible because of the issues with his high school transcripts?

There is no way of telling. It's certainly worth the risk, cause he's great, but this isn't your typical prop. The NCAA is all over Mitchell for disingenuous transcripts

Greek, his issues are more than being a partial. While looking up the other NCAA link, check 10.1.

Not claiming to be an expert on Mitchell's situation, just throwing out what I had learned from Ross-Miller's situation.

Hadn't really been keeping up with Mitchell since the Mizzou verbal, but I'll damn sure be trying to find out as much as I can on his situation now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not claiming to be an expert on Mitchell's situation, just throwing out what I had learned from Ross-Miller's situation.

Hadn't really been keeping up with Mitchell since the Mizzou verbal, but I'll damn sure be trying to find out as much as I can on his situation now.

I gotcha, you're a rational fan and I'm just trying to round out the picture. FWIW, SMU has a 10.1 and he's going to play, so it's not necessarily a death sentence. It just makes it a ton harder, especially when you're profile

I gotcha, you're a rational fan and I'm just trying to round out the picture. FWIW, SMU has a 10.1 and he's going to play, so it's not necessarily a death sentence. It just makes it a ton harder, especially when you're profile

Which one is it? Patsevich?

And I'm guessing Mitchell's situation with CLA would put him under 10.1 b?

Edited by TheTastyGreek

Well, there is some sad news to report here. Since we did not hire Jim Leavitt as our head football coach and have now enrolled Tony Mitchell, since Mizzou couldn't do it, I now fully expect that the ass-whipping poster known as MizzouTiger will never visit us again. Its a tough thing...

Man this is HUGH for UNT, Johnny Jones and our entire BB team if this works out. Credit Johnny Jones and everyone involved for risking a PR nightmare and supporting Tony Michell. Sounds like he's a fairly smart kid. I had to read Mizzou post to understand. Jones and company are fighting for 5 star almost guaranteed NBA talent on someone who doesn't have any criminal background. Just because your credentials come from "home schooling" system doesn't mean your not smart. Look at all the resent spelling B champions. Not directly, but some of this has to do with public verses private education as much as school known for being a basketball factory.

If Michell comes here no matter how many years this will a UNT game changer!!!!

RV AND THE BOR YOU'D BETTER GET YOUR CHECKBOOK OUT!!!! I GUARANTEE YOU ALL THE OTHER D1 COACHES KNOW HOW JOHNNY JONES IS AND THEY ARE DREADING THE DAY WHEN MR. JONES CAN RECRUIT ON A NATIONAL LEVEL. DO THINK EVERY AD WITH A SUB PAR TEAM IS NOTICING TOO.

IF WE PULL THIS OFF LOOK OUT MARCH MADNESS!!!!

BEFORE MICHELL IF THIS WORKS OUT OUR 2011 WAS RANKED 31 IN THE NATION. I WONDER WHERE UNT WILL END UP WITH MICHELL ON BOARD. Sorry about all caps, but every excited!!!!

Go Johnny Go...here's to many more 1 MILLION $$$ Donations!!!!

Which one is it? Patsevich?

And I'm guessing Mitchell's situation with CLA would put him under 10.1 b?

LOL, nobody is supposed to know about SMUs 10.1, but Pats was suspended for 4 games for playing on a pro team. We're currently 19 games into this season.

Mitchell's situation is more than just CLA, goes back to core tampering in the publics as well, I'm told. 10.1 b sounds about right

FWIW, please no one confuse my stance here. I despise the NCAA and would like to see every kid provided a chance to earn a living in their chosen profession. Since the current system is all we have, I truly hope Tony has his day

This is funny.

Anyways, he could really help us get over all the seniors we have leaving after this season. I would prefer him to be a one and done guy because of the amount of publicity it would bring nationally and especially locally to our bball program.

I agree. Can you imagine the number of North Texas basketball jerseys with his number the bookstores could sell plus his NBA jersey. Nothing but good could happen from this.

I think we will see him play this fall. I may be being a bit overly optimistic, but I have to believe the Coach Jones knows the whole situation, and has in mind exactly what he needs to do to get Mitchell eligible. If he gets accepted to UNT, I think the chances go way up that he will be able to play by this fall.

This recruiting class has a chance to be something very, very special. Even more so than it already is.

I think we will see him play this fall. I may be being a bit overly optimistic, but I have to believe the Coach Jones knows the whole situation, and has in mind exactly what he needs to do to get Mitchell eligible.

Maybe, maybe not. This is the caliber of player you take a chance on every time, even if it's a long shot.

If this kid is that good and he continues to struggle with qualifying what stops him from playing overseas until he becomes draft eligible?

Hope it doesn't happen, but just a thought.

If he goes overseas and is exposed by the Euro Pros, he'll lose MILLIONS if he's indeed lottery worthy. The smartest thing to do is beat up on athletically inferior guys at he collegiate level, then sign his multimillion dollar rookie lottery contract.

Sounds like the risk is well worth the reward here. What risk do we really have here?

We had a ship open already.

We've got an already solid class coming in next yr.

Kid has no background issues other than academic, i.e. nothing criminal.

Talent level is off the chart.

We have a system which has proven it can handle situations like these and others with some degree of success.

I think this is a brilliant move, even his trying to get into UNT is a positive, if we say no, it means our academic integrity is intact, we tried, we get all the pub and in the end it's not our fault it doesn't work out... It's an NCAA issue.

Win-Win all the way around, why JJ is a class guy and has us in the place we find ourselves in.

• Upvote 1