Tony Mitchell In Process Of Enrolling @North Texas!

Harry

Yes, indeed...good things are happening at North Texas! The kid does need to qualify and then realize that he is a student first. NBA dreams have a way of being extremely hard to realize even when you are a 5-Star big time recruit. Great get, JJ and Company. This is indeed great news. I am going to assume the academic advisers might have some fun helping Tony realize how important going to class might be if he thinks he is a "one and done" sort of player. But, if that is the case...welcome to the Mean Green nation. It will be great to watch you and the rest of our Mean Green team soar! This is going to even more fun. Time for those fence-sitters out there to get behind the Mean Green.

WOW! Super get!

That being the case, could he play immediately, or is he not eligible until 2011-2012?

Also, I gotta say that if he does make it to the NBA, that will be huge for our recruiting.

I did a lot of research on this when K.C. Ross-Miller enrolled at FIU... He loses a year of eligibility (can't greyshirt like in football, because the season isn't over in one semester) by going to a D-1 school and can't satisfy the clearinghouse until he posts a successful semester of grades. So barring a surprise ruling on his CLA transcript/Pinkston equivalency tests (that Mizzou couldn't force through in 7 months of trying) he won't play this year and we'll have him for a maximum of 3 seasons.

I did a lot of research on this when K.C. Ross-Miller enrolled at FIU... He loses a year of eligibility (can't greyshirt like in football, because the season isn't over in one semester) by going to a D-1 school and can't satisfy the clearinghouse until he posts a successful semester of grades. So barring a surprise ruling on his CLA transcript/Pinkston equivalency tests (that Mizzou couldn't force through in 7 months of trying) he won't play this year and we'll have him for a maximum of 3 seasons.

I'm confused. If he was never even on campus at Mizzou, why would he lose a year of eligibility?

I'm confused. If he was never even on campus at Mizzou, why would he lose a year of eligibility?

He's what used to be called a partial qualifier because of the situation with his CLA transcript.

By not going JUCO and choosing to try and post grades to clear as a student at a D1 school, the tradeoff is losing the year of eligibility and not being able to practice or play with the team until passing the clearinghouse.

I'll try to find the NCAA link again.

Hmmm...some may be daydreaming about this a little too much. Are we still talking about basketball?

This is funny.

Anyways, he could really help us get over all the seniors we have leaving after this season. I would prefer him to be a one and done guy because of the amount of publicity it would bring nationally and especially locally to our bball program.

Can we take it easy on the one and done and NBA talk? I'm just as hard as everybody else on this guy but let's see how all of this plays out.

Seriously we need to be talking about a significant Johnny Jones raise and a new contract. Just sayin....

And throw a few bucks or an Applebee's gift card at whoever processed him at the registrar's office, too.

Can't forget the little people. :P

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

This is funny.

Anyways, he could really help us get over all the seniors we have leaving after this season. I would prefer him to be a one and done guy because of the amount of publicity it would bring nationally and especially locally to our bball program.

I would prefer him to be a three and done guy, and then a top 10 NBA pick, but him coming to this program at all will raise the stature of UNT basketball...even if he is only here for one year. I will take him for however long he is here!

I'm smelling the first ever sellout at the Pit. Corretion, the first sellout for a basketball game that I'm aware of. I'm also sensing BB season ticktets in my future.

If not from Mean Green fans, then from local hoops fans. Having Tony and Jordan on the same team (plus whoever else decides to possibly transfer here, ahem *sinnednalon*) will bring alot of fans (re: paying customers) to the Pit who have no allegiance to UNT.

I would prefer to date Natalie Portman, then marry her, and have kids with her, but I'll take the random girl at the bar who will raise my stature if it is only one night

I would prefer him to be a three and done guy, and then a top 10 NBA pick, but him coming to this program at all will raise the stature of UNT basketball...even if he is only here for one year. I will take him for however long he is here!

• Upvote 3

I hope it works out for you guys and Tony. The few times I've met him, he seemed like a decent kid. I wouldn't count my chickens, though. The rumors & heads seem to think he's not going to play next year, if the NBA avoids a lockout this offseason. Beyond that, this thread shows basically no understanding of his transcripts and academic situation. As Tasty Greek said, be happy about this, if only for the profile of it. Everything else is speculative.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I hope it works out for you guys and Tony. The few times I've met him, he seemed like a decent kid. I wouldn't count my chickens, though. The rumors & heads seem to think he's not going to play next year, if the NBA avoids a lockout this offseason. Beyond that, this thread shows basically no understanding of his transcripts and academic situation. As Tasty Greek said, be happy about this, if only for the profile of it. Everything else is speculative.

I agree.

He's what used to be called a partial qualifier because of the situation with his CLA transcript.

By not going JUCO and choosing to try and post grades to clear as a student at a D1 school, the tradeoff is losing the year of eligibility and not being able to practice or play with the team until passing the clearinghouse.

I'll try to find the NCAA link again.

Greek, his issues are more than being a partial. While looking up the other NCAA link, check 10.1.