Mike Canales Coached His @ss Off Today

FirefightnRick

It's like we have the answers to the test and we STILL get it wrong.

I don't wonder if Canales can make a team like ours compete cause I have seen it. I don't have to wonder if he will be a great motivator or a great spokesman for the university cause I have seen it. I don't have to wonder if the players will buy into him and his system because they already have.

Our team played tonight with an opponent that should have destroyed them. They didn't. Why? Coach Canales got the most out of his team and his coaching staff. We know what we have in him and it is exactly what we need.

We will hire Meh-carney and what will we hope he has? Well - we will hope he is like Canales.

• Upvote 2

That was simply an amazing effort by Chico and his men today. If he isn't our HC he certainly will be somewhere soon. I hope he heard the appreciation from the Mean Green Nation, alumni and students both, with the many chants during and after the game.

Thank You coach to you and your staff for a valiant effort.

Rick

I sought him out on the field and told him thanks. He's one of the goods and made this season tolerable and gave me hope

I don't wonder if Canales can make a team like ours compete cause I have seen it. I don't have to wonder if he will be a great motivator or a great spokesman for the university cause I have seen it. I don't have to wonder if the players will buy into him and his system because they already have.

Reading this for some reason reminded me of the next play when Bain had to come in. The folks who didn't make this game or who won't be aware tomorrow when they see the tiny little score in the papers, won't understand the magnitude of what the rest of us saw tonight. We lose our 3rd/4th string QB, or whatever rank Riley was this year. And a cold Bain has to come in on a 4th down call and Chico calls that shuttle pass for a TD. I mean, that was simply a damn great call by a great offensive minded coach. We didn't just play with K State tonight. We should have beaten them. Had a couple of breaks gone our way we win this game, hands down, with many of our starters out, and none more importantly than our QB's and our punter.

Rick

• Upvote 5

Reading this for some reason reminded me of the next play when Bain had to come in. The folks who didn't make this game or who won't be aware tomorrow when they see the tiny little score in the papers, won't understand the magnitude of what the rest of us saw tonight. We lose our 3rd/4th string QB, or whatever rank Riley was this year. And a cold Bain has to come in on a 4th down call and Chico calls that shuttle pass for a TD. I mean, that was simply a damn great call by a great offensive minded coach. We didn't just play with K State tonight. We should have beaten them. Had a couple of breaks gone our way we win this game, hands down, with many of our starters out, and none more importantly than our QB's and our punter.

Rick

+1, and I don't know if you heard in the post game where Dunham was quoted telling Canales that "you beat us tonight".

+1, and I don't know if you heard in the post game where Dunham was quoted telling Canales that "you beat us tonight".

Dunham repeated what Canales told him that Bill Snyder told Canales after the game. We beat them everywhere but the scoreboard.

• Upvote 1

He coached his a$s off all season:

-Lost #1 QB in game two's final drive.

-Lost #2 QB in game three's first quarter.

-Lost #3 QB twice.

-Lost #1 and #2 centers.

-Lost #1 U-back in fall practice.

Many of us have already lobbied for the man based on what he's done with our injury-decimated team. Wish more had jumped on his bandwagon sooner instead of criticizing him for "politicking" for the job.

He wasn't politicking; he was just doing what anyone would expect their head coach to do. That he put so much of himself out there as an interim was good enough for me. Manny interims just ride out the season. Not Chico.

If it's true we haven't hired him, I hope he gets one of the Pac-10 jobs that opens. He'll be a longshot for the Miami job, but it would be perfect for them - that school needs someone classy to run it. Although, they ran off Larry Coker, who's as nice a guy as has ever coached college football.

• Upvote 1

He coached his a$s off all season:

-Lost #1 QB in game two's final drive.

-Lost #2 QB in game three's first quarter.

-Lost #3 QB twice.

-Lost #1 and #2 centers.

-Lost #1 U-back in fall practice.

Many of us have already lobbied for the man based on what he's done with our injury-decimated team. Wish more had jumped on his bandwagon sooner instead of criticizing him for "politicking" for the job.

He wasn't politicking; he was just doing what anyone would expect their head coach to do. That he put so much of himself out there as an interim was good enough for me. Manny interims just ride out the season. Not Chico.

If it's true we haven't hired him, I hope he gets one of the Pac-10 jobs that opens. He'll be a longshot for the Miami job, but it would be perfect for them - that school needs someone classy to run it. Although, they ran off Larry Coker, who's as nice a guy as has ever coached college football.

And with all of this, the higher-ups are hoping that McCarney is as good as Mike Canales.

How about we stop wondering if McCarney is as good as Canales and just take Canales? It's like wanting a block of wood to become a table when you already have a table.

Coach Canales and Coach Deloach thank you for your time and hard work here with UNT!!! Both coaches are true men of class and character. I really don't want to see Coach Deloach leave the program for the second time. I knew coach Deloach was leaving the first time because of the defense he built at UNT. Coach Deloach deserved more money and the recognition of coaching establish high profiled team in UCLA. I was so happy UNT was able to bring Coach Deloach back as defensive cordinator!!! I knew given time coach Deloach would build an unstoppable defense here at UNT once again.

In steps Coach Canales. I didn't know much about him other than his resume when joining UNT. Now I want coach Canales to be UNT's head coach no matter the resumes others have in hand. What I've seen coach Canales do here at UNT with his staff in such a short period of time is truly amazing!!!!

Coach Canales has taken a injury riddled team and made them more competitive than I think anyone could have hoped for!!! The Todd Dodge era has been a total failure, and now I have to see great coaches flushed down the drain as a result of it!!! Riley Dodge has been a true competitor on the field, but his dad as coach bring in a bunch of HC coaching clown's cost UNT professional coaching staff dearly.

Here's to coach Canales, and coach deloach!!! Both of you will be missed on the sidelines of UNT!!!

Anybody get the impression that the decision was made weeks before the KState game and not even remotely taking into consideration the results? In thinking about this, it dawns on me that even if the score tonight was 51-49 UNT, McCarney would still get the offer.

Well being McCarney had the offer before the game, I bet you are right.

It's like we have the answers to the test and we STILL get it wrong.

Our team played tonight with an opponent that should have destroyed them. They didn't. Why? Coach Canales got the most out of his team and his coaching staff. We know what we have in him and it is exactly what we need.

We will hire Meh-carney and what will we hope he has? Well - we will hope he is like Canales.

Well said.

Last night was one of the best emotional games that I have seen at Fouts. Listening to the students chant MIKE CANALES was just great. Never heard that before in support of a coach. Watching Riley Dodge go down and lay on the field for about ten minutes was gut wrenching then having the team go half way out on the field in support....wow. That kid has given it all to NT plus all the positive comments RD has said about Coach Canales along with just about all the other team in support of Coach Canales.

Listening to the post game on the way home with Coach Snyder saying that NT beat us except for the score was, IMHO, not just coach speak for saying it was a good game but in total support of Coach Canales and what he did with fourteen or now fifteen starters not playing because of injuries. I would rather have ex NT Assistant Coach Synder's recommendation (who for those who don't know went to Iowa with Coach Fry & having KSU's FB stadium named after him) than RV's final decision about MacC.

Appears that the entire NT FB team is in support of having Coach Canales return next year. These guys were pumped up last night. I have seen too many times when one of our teams like this just kinda played out a game against an opponent like KSU .... except for last night when they PLAYED TO WIN to the final Hail Mary by, again, our 4th string QB. That 4th and 7 shouvel pass was just great to bring us back within 8 with, still, time enough to win.

I have got to wonder next year if MacC is actually the HC if the team will respond to him as they have with Coach Canales.

The team wants him, the student (with their chants) want him, I sit behind old ledgendary Coach Brewer (for the last three years) and that man.......with all his coaching experience thinks Coach Canales is a most qualified coach and the ones of us who have seen a POSITIVE mental turnaround of the team with play calling that I have not seen in years .... I believe that those of us who have watched NT play for years...decades....that the play calling is 100% better....want Coach Canales.

Let me summarize:

1 + 1 = 2

RV....1 + 1 = 3

(RV would rather have a coach with a loosing record, took four or five years of loosing at ISU before having a winning record and an assistant coach at a ledgendary winning program at Florida and pay him $500k+/yr at NT?).....IMHO, O2 has departed from RV's faculties and has been replaced, by what we used to call in the Navy.....brown.