Mean Green Add Smu Transfer Julian Herron

NTEdgex2

HAHAHAHA

SUCK ON THAT SMU!

Not to bring you down, but keep in mind that they cut him loose voluntarily. If he'd abandoned them, then your incitement that SMU create a vacuum effect in the vicinity of this news would be more apt.

As it stands, this is potentially good news for us, and relatively indifferent news to them.

I can't help but wonder...is he the new AD spin doctor? It seems that for every ounce of negativity we thought Vito brought to the table this guy brings an ounce of rah rah. Sorry, I don't think getting players with Big XII offers by way of transfer from other schols is exactly "competing with the Big XII in recruiting."

Looks like a good athlete, makes me wonder why SMU cut him?

The notes of caution are well taken, however, there can be many reasons why a player doesn't make it through a coaching transition. We've had transfers like this in the past who have made and others who have never made in onto the field. It could be a maturity issue (which might be resolved with a year more to "grow up"), it could be that Julian got off on the wrong foot with Jones, could be a personality clash, or a half-dozen other issues. Without us knowing the details, we have no way of knowing whether this is a great pick-up or a shot in the dark. I say, let him get on the field here, show us what he can do, and then we decide how good or disappointing this is.

The notes of caution are well taken, however, there can be many reasons why a player doesn't make it through a coaching transition. We've had transfers like this in the past who have made and others who have never made in onto the field. It could be a maturity issue (which might be resolved with a year more to "grow up"), it could be that Julian got off on the wrong foot with Jones, could be a personality clash, or a half-dozen other issues. Without us knowing the details, we have no way of knowing whether this is a great pick-up or a shot in the dark. I say, let him get on the field here, show us what he can do, and then we decide how good or disappointing this is.

Sounds good. The kid came here to get a fresh start; let's give him one.

I can't help but wonder...is he the new AD spin doctor? It seems that for every ounce of negativity we thought Vito brought to the table this guy brings an ounce of rah rah. Sorry, I don't think getting players with Big XII offers by way of transfer from other schols is exactly "competing with the Big XII in recruiting."

I thought his comments were a bit off base, but otherwise I like what NT is doing with all the added coverage. Obviously, getting a bounce back player is not the same as winning a recruiting battle against the big XII and SMU or Houston certainly are not in the top tier of college football. Also getting late qualifiers is not exactly beating top tier competition either. Having said that I think Dodge and staff are doing exactly what they should be doing in recruiting. They are scrambling for every player they think can upgrade the program and finding players that have basically fail through the cracks. If DD and staff had tried half as hard, Dickey may have gotten that better job he so desparately wanted and NT might not have fallen so far or fast.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Hey, it's our athletics web site. I would expect it to be very positive about any recruit. I thought that it was a very good reporting until the final sentence, which I agree was over the top.

I didn't see the harm in pointing out the offers that some of these signees had since that has been a subject of scorn from some of our fans.

I hope the raw deal he got from SMU, only fires him up. Quick Google show that SMU timed him at 4.4 in the 40, second fastest on the team. I always take 40 times with a grain of salt but no doubt this guy has phenomenal speed for a linebacker.

Nice pickup. With that size and speed, it might be nice if he could adapt into a SS for next season. I'm hopeful that this year's team will have some DB's that can finally tackle better than my grandmother, but over the last couple of years we've sure needed someone back there who could both run and lay a hit on somebody.

Yeah, all the programs listed are second tier. Granted, they still grab better talent than we do, but I'll geek out when we get a guy who has had offers from and had been highly coveted by UT, OU, Florida, USC and the like. You know, elite schools.

I am happy that we are getting the guys we are getting though.

Also, the mgsports guy is a little homerish, but like someone said above, it is the official site and whatnot so its to be expected. I like Vito's stuff though. I think the ones who don't are those really sunny people who kind of get on my nerves with all their blind, unfounded optimism. Its not like BV is crapping on a 11-1 season, and finding things that suck about it. I think he is more just calling it like it is.

Also, with all these updated rosters, I think I may restart my dynasty on ncaa 10. Which I am sure you all are following, eagerly anticipating each update.

Edited by aztecskin

Known since his freshman year of high school as ‘The Beast,’ the linebacker runs a sub-4.4 40 and boasts a “39-40” inch vertical. Not to mention the 6-foot-0, 205-pound Herron can put up 350 pounds on the bench press and squat “550-600” pounds.

That means that, while he is as strong if not stronger than most linebackers, Herron can run with most defensive backs.

That is from SMU's Scout.com 2008 fall camp page. That's the good part of the article.

He's obviously a gifted athlete, but the rest of the story was about how he didn't adapt very quickly to his third defensive system in three years. That is probably what put him in June Jones' doghouse. I think getting to sit out this transfer year while he learns the system will be beneficial for him.

The kid has receive a second chance. He has been given the opportunity to prove himself. Let's see what he can do with it.

Actually, with that speed I can see him moving the other direction. He is already comfortable playing DE, so might he not be the next LB to move to DE, like AK47?

That could well be the case eventually, but in todays game full of spread offenses and such, I just love having hard hitting fast safeties in the mold of Buckles, Jones, Knowlton and others. Especially when we seem to be pretty well loaded with young athletic DE's for the moment. I guess it just kind of depends on how his game develops from here on out.