More Of....the Problem

This thread is a huge waste of time, in my opinion. UNT isn't UT. It will NEVER be. It doesn't NEED to be.

Absolute genius. Why should we want to be like everyone else? Why be the snobs of SMU? Why be nigh-religiously-fanatic yokels of A&M?

UNT should be its own breed of university. It is it's own breed, and I like it that way.

Edited by meangreendork

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolute genius. Why should we want to be like everyone else? Why be the snobs of SMU? Why be nigh-religiously-fanatic yokels of A&M?

UNT should be its own breed of university. It is it's own breed, and I like it that way.

Because we would actually like an alumni base that feels connected enough to the University to donate, whatever that version of UNT is.

Edited by KingDL1

I have always had the highest regard for this school, even before I was accepted here as a student. It has always been a great institution of higher learning. And nothing has happened in the last 32 years since I've graduated to change my perception of that. I have absolutely no regrets about the decision to attend North Texas.

This school has always had a proud tradition of education. And while it's never won a national championship in football or basketball, it's loyal fans are just as devoted as any of the fans of any Texas University. This University has history, and it has made history. Yet instead of talking about all that, our University publication chooses to talk about what a great value our degree is.

Our GREAT University deserves better than that.

I would gladly have paid the cost of tuition in 1976....just sayin'

I am new to this board, but I am have been lurking for sometime.

In answer to the initial post of this thread, I don't think that presenting yourself as a "College Value" is a bad thing. For many people, especially from lower-to-middle income, first generation families, cost of attendance is a major factor. I know I concerned when I started looking for colleges at 17. My family did not make a lot of money and I was the first one to consider college, so we had no idea how the financial aid system worked. I looked at a variety of institutions (never UNT because they did not market in the wastelands between Waco and Abilene). In the end, I chose Tarleton because they provided the best financial aid package. One of Tarleton's missions is to provide a quality education at a reasonable cost. This draws quite a few people.

Even though I have only been out of school for a short period of time, I am a proud alumnus. I am a member the alumni association, I donate money to the university, and I frequently return to Stephenville for Athletic events. I am not however season ticket holder because I cannot convince myself to drive 500 miles each week to return home. Instead, I purchase the annual online web-stream package. We have pretty good teams, so it makes it easy for me to give money back, however we play D2 so nobody gives a rats ass. That does not stop me from being just as boastful around the coffee pot as everyone else.

The problem is that either need to have a perennial winner or you need to brainwash your fans. The Aggies have the right idea, and Tarleton has copied them in that respect. We send our freshmen to brainwashing... I mean Duck... Camp the weekend before school starts. They learn University traditions, lore, and history. The hope is that by they time to return to campus Sunday night, they are not freaked out by the Purple clowns running around, the guys in purples chaps, and they are familiar with all of the cheers. It makes them feel like part of the university from the beginning and benefits student retention.

It's definitely one of the better, larger and more popular programs at the school. I think something like 1/3 of the students are business majors. Since I graduated in 1998, you know have to apply and be accepted to the business school in order to take business classes.

My one question being about accepted into the program before taking any business classes is does that include all business classes or just upper level courses?

maybe I am missing it - but regarding the costs (Excluding UT)

Is there really that big of a difference? We are talking a few hundred bucks a semester!

I'm talking about incoming freshman! 98% of them don't care and the parents don't either?

UNT: $6,100 / $14,400

UT-Austin: $7,438 / $16,635

Tx A&M: $6,234 / $13,914

UH: $6,450 / $12,326

TxTech: $6,452 / $14,192

UT-D: $6,832 / $16,612

The solution to The Problem?

Change that $6,100 per year per student to the same amount that Texas Tech or Houston students pay.

Create a top tier athletics program that students, alumni, and the community are proud to support.

Within a few years it would change the perception of the university. The Problem would be fixed, forever.

The solution to The Problem?

Change that $6,100 per year per student to the same amount that Texas Tech or Houston students pay.

Create a top tier athletics program that students, alumni, and the community are proud to support.

Within a few years it would change the perception of the university. The Problem would be fixed, forever.

Sounds good lets do that.

So, value is a bad word?

Value is the pivotal word in this whole discussion. Some people are experiencing difficulty differentiating between Value and Cheap.

A Value is when you get a product that you believe is comparable for a lesser price, Cheap is when you are willing to sacrafice quality in order to get a better price.

North Texas has significantly lessened the perception of it's quality by failing to adaquately fund it's athletic programs for the past 50 years; stating that it has a lower slightly price doesn't enhance it's value. It's just advertising a less desirable product at a slightly lower price: the cheap alternative.

As displayed above, North Texas could maintain it's price range and still significantly improve it's product. Why hasn't it?

Value is the pivotal word in this whole discussion. Some people are experiencing difficulty differentiating between Value and Cheap.

A Value is when you get a product that you believe is comparable for a lesser price, Cheap is when you are willing to sacrafice quality in order to get a better price.

North Texas has significantly lessened the perception of it's quality by failing to adaquately fund it's athletic programs for the past 50 years; stating that it has a lower slightly price doesn't enhance it's value. It's just advertising a less desirable product at a slightly lower price: the cheap alternative.

As displayed above, North Texas could maintain it's price range and still significantly improve it's product. Why hasn't it?

Thank you.

And, I keep searching but have yet to find that glossy ad for Oklahoma State quoting a student about how they went to OSU because they wanted a good education without having to pay a lot of money. And that includes their alumni news letter that one of my coworkers often brings up to the station.

Rick

Because we would actually like an alumni base that feels connected enough to the University to donate, whatever that version of UNT is.

Yeah, that's fine and part of the whole objective, but there's no need to have similar connotations to UNT that people tend to stick to the likes of A&M and UT.

Yeah, that's fine and part of the whole objective, but there's no need to have similar connotations to UNT that people tend to stick to the likes of A&M and UT.

Yeah. That would be awful. Too fervent or too proud or too boastful or too well-funded by donations and supported by their administration?

That's awful.

The only good thing to be said about this thread is that it does not involve uniforms.

Yeah. That would be awful. Too fervent or too proud or too boastful or too well-funded by donations and supported by their administration?

That's awful.

The only good thing to be said about this thread is that it does not involve uniforms.

Can you read? "Connotations" was the word. Not "well-funded" or "proud". I think we can have all the same word power as the other schools without people thinking we're full of snobs (SMU), nutjob zealot fanatics (A&M).

UNT is not Cheap!!!! Cheap infers some sort of inferority...UNT may (I said MAY) be INEXPENSIVE, but it IS NOT CHEAP! We need to start thinking big if we are going to be big! This whole idea about come to UNT because it is inexpensive is wearing a bit thin with me. UNT is not rfeally much cheaper...as some of our good GMG'ers have pointed out in this topic area...than many of the other universities in Texas (public universities that is)....UNT needs to advertise itself as a great place to get an education and a great place to have pride in attending...and a LIFELONG connevtion with....people can make their own minds up regarding the cost compared to other universities.

Just my two cents...probably worth at least half of that!

UNT is not Cheap!!!! Cheap infers some sort of inferority...UNT may (I said MAY) be INEXPENSIVE, but it IS NOT CHEAP! We need to start thinking big if we are going to be big! This whole idea about come to UNT because it is inexpensive is wearing a bit thin with me. UNT is not rfeally much cheaper...as some of our good GMG'ers have pointed out in this topic area...than many of the other universities in Texas (public universities that is)....UNT needs to advertise itself as a great place to get an education and a great place to have pride in attending...and a LIFELONG connevtion with....people can make their own minds up regarding the cost compared to other universities.

Just my two cents...probably worth at least half of that!

My student loan lender is pretty happy with what I am paying back so it's not too cheap. But I am kind of in the middle here... I do think school pride needs to be bolstered but I don't know if it has anything to do with the "value" of the education.

Of the sampling, UNT has the lowest resident tuition and is middle-of-the-road in non-resident tuition. While UNT isn't as expensive as the UT institutions, it's by no means cheap. Actually, it's one of the 6 most expensive schools in Texas (minus the private schools).

Exactly. Nobody is picking UNT over A&M to save $100 a semester.

UNT is a fine education that will serve a person well. With that being said, the University has a ways to go before it can take "value" out of it's advertising lexicon.

How about we focus on increasing the size of the University Endowment. How about we manage to get on the pages of US News college rankings report. (maybe we can pull ourselves up from 4th tier) Lets continue to build academic and athletic programs that we can be proud of as alumni. The kind that achieve true national recognition not the small victories that we so often have to embrace. As we do this everything else (pride, donations, attendance) will all fall into place.

I do think we are on the right path. I like the rest of you wish we were progressing at a faster pace.