"coaches On The Verge Of Stardom"

I could be totally wrong about this, but I don't see Todd Dodge as a man that will leave after one good year or two no matter the financial offer. He made it explicit that his goal was to turn the Mean Green into the DFW Metroplex's team. Dodge is a man principal and I think that he will fulfill that goal before he considers leaving. Additionally, his son will be here for 4-5 years. I suspect that Riley told his father that he would only transfer if his father was here for at least a majority of those years.

I could be totally wrong about this, but I don't see Todd Dodge as a man that will leave after one good year or two no matter the financial offer. He made it explicit that his goal was to turn the Mean Green into the DFW Metroplex's team. Dodge is a man principal and I think that he will fulfill that goal before he considers leaving. Additionally, his son will be here for 4-5 years. I suspect that Riley told his father that he would only transfer if his father was here for at least a majority of those years.

I don't think so either, but we're going to have to find a way to open up the pocketbook if success comes quickly. The call of the almighty buck is just too powerful these days.

I don't think so either, but we're going to have to find a way to open up the pocketbook if success comes quickly. The call of the almighty buck is just too powerful these days.

I kinda think he'll stick around as long as Riley is here. Also, doesn't he have a 7th grade daughter that is a pretty good athlete(basket, volley, or softball?) that he mentioned coming to NT?

I see all the sports media, and college football fans across the

country expect Coach Dodge to be lured away to a BCS school,

with tons of money on the table. Use North Texas as a steping stone

to futher his career.

I for one believe Coach Dodge really likes the whole big picture

at North Texas. He is doing what he loves to do, building a great

college football team, tons of talent to recruit, home and family

right here, with fans and a school that will back him no matter what.

Coach Dodge believes in the future of North Texas, can see

the great environment he is creating, and clearly views North Texas

at the next level. Coach Dodge, IMHO, will not leave. He has

everything right here that he could want. (with the exception

of the new stadium-but-that will come and he knows that too).

Once Dodgeball starts rolling, the suitors will come. Why leave

something you have built, that continues to grow, and progressing

to even bigger acheivements, for a assistants job or a dead program

that needs 4 to 5 years to develop?

Coach Dodge has a great future right here! I say he stays at North Texas!

I would really like to think that Coach Dodge is a lifer here. Really, a large part of me just NEEDS to believe that. And, I think if anyone is capable at turning down the lure of the kind of money that BCS programs are capable of throwing at coaches, it would be Dodge. He's a big proponent of principles, honor, and sticking out your duty despite the temptations that come with success.

Even given that, however, he is human, and the University of Texas can sit back and pound him with all kinds of extra zeroes that we just can't afford. At some point, any person will break. And that, to me, represents what is worst about college athletics. Money, big time ten digit figures money, is the central pillar of the current power structure, and leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Here's hoping that, 30 years from now, we're breaking ground on the Todd Dodge Athletics Center, and that he means to this University what Joe Paterno means to Penn State. I really hope that he is that kind of guy. I want so badly to believe him when he says he's not going anywhere. But I've seen to many ship jumpers (even those pegged as "good guys") to truly sustain that belief.

I would really like to think that Coach Dodge is a lifer here. Really, a large part of me just NEEDS to believe that. And, I think if anyone is capable at turning down the lure of the kind of money that BCS programs are capable of throwing at coaches, it would be Dodge. He's a big proponent of principles, honor, and sticking out your duty despite the temptations that come with success.

Even given that, however, he is human, and the University of Texas can sit back and pound him with all kinds of extra zeroes that we just can't afford. At some point, any person will break. And that, to me, represents what is worst about college athletics. Money, big time ten digit figures money, is the central pillar of the current power structure, and leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

I don't think TD will leave any time soon, if he feels that the program is being supported the way it needs to be. It won't matter if it's the University of Texas or the University of Phoenix--coaches want to coach at a program that's growing, and has the facilities, fan, and financial support in place to W-I-N.

I think PT Barnum would really be pleased with this thread.

People, if a BCS program calls and offers their average rate (about 4 or 5 times what North Texas pays), Coach Dodge will have his office box packed before he even hangs up the phone.

If they call, he's gone. Bank on it. Leaving Southlake for North Texas was a much more difficult decision.

People, if a BCS program calls and offers their average rate (about 4 or 5 times what North Texas pays), Coach Dodge will have his office box packed before he even hangs up the phone.

If they call, he's gone. Bank on it. Leaving Southlake for North Texas was a much more difficult decision.

I completely agree with you. However if NT puts out and goes great lengths to reward him then I can see him staying longer than what is expected. The ball is not only in TD's court but it is also the responsibility of the athletics program and the university to do their job and make sure he is getting taken care of.

Money talks... If he wins and is offered a job at a top football school do you really think that he would stay because he likes UNT??? If you think that he is going win enough to get looks from these programs you better start building a new stadium today.

Very true, but coming from a Southern Miss fan, don't you think Bowers turned down a few offers of more money during his tenure?

I just don't think it will be that simple, if Dodge is building up something he will stay as long as UNT is working with him. Plus I think he would stay until Riley graduates which I think will be at least the next five seasons. You never know what conference we will be in by then.

I think Coach Dodge should always do what is best for him and his family. He will not be at North Texas forever so I think his job is to leave it better than he found it and turn over the reins to the next coach to do the same. If the program improves to BCS status he may not have to leave for better things, it will continue to get better here. The list also contains 2 coaches that were on NT's short list to hire, that says we can hire a good coach when the time comes. I for one am not going to worry about that time and simply enjoy the progress.

I look to the man's history to get an idea of how he will react. During his tenure as a high school coach Dodge didn't have any qualms about moving after a year or two for a bigger program or better job. It's not an uncommon story for young coaches. However, one thing has kept him in one spot...FAMILY. Once his kids were older he TURNED DOWN college jobs because it would mean having to uproot his family and he did that enough when they were younger. Now that Rilely is at UNT, and he has a daughter that won't graduate from Carroll for 4 years, I would be shocked if he were to leave before then. After that... it's an open game.

What if Dodge reads this thread and decides to leave? Or what if a BCS program sees this and decides to swoop in? This is a risky public discussion, I'll tell ya that much.

Todd Dodge does not leave UNT to be OC at OU. I am realistic--while I would like to think that he will retire at UNT 25-30 years from now, having made us a perennial NC contender, I know the big boys will come calling with deep pocketbooks open wide. But when he leaves, I believe it will be for a major HC gig, not for an OC job.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

I'd really like to have one winning season with a good record (7-5 doesn't count)....10-2 or 9-3 before we start talking about Dodge leaving little ole North Texas for a BCS school. How long was June Jones at Hawaii before he got that awesome opportunity (insert sarcastic look here) to coach at SMU??

Very true, but coming from a Southern Miss fan, don't you think Bowers turned down a few offers of more money during his tenure?

Just a little different. Bower was the Star of the football team. He and his girlfriend at the time were voted Mr and Miss Southern Miss. He married her. And his daughter lost her life in a car accident in the Hattiesburg area. So there were some pretty strong ties. I wish that Southern Miss would have handled his departure in a much more respectful way.

I'd really like to have one winning season with a good record (7-5 doesn't count)....10-2 or 9-3 before we start talking about Dodge leaving little ole North Texas for a BCS school. How long was June Jones at Hawaii before he got that awesome opportunity (insert sarcastic look here) to coach at SMU??

I think everyone realizes that he has to win in order to get that big offer but I kinda like the fact that even the national media expects him to win here and then move on. I think it proves he's already making a splash and getting attention even with a 2-10 first season.

We've got him for 4-5 years after that all bets are off. I just hope he has the success we think he can and that he puts us on the national map before he goes.

If he doesn't have success here after 4-5 years, he may not have the option of leaving. Right now this metroplex loves Todd Dodge, and the only chance he goes somewhere else in the next 2 years is if its one of 3 schools. You can think real hard about which 3... and one of them already has their pass happy coach.

Edited by MeanMag

Well, I can already see the positive difference in the team from last Spring to this Spring. I expect we'll see the same improvement in game scores and record this fall. Dodge will get offers as NT improves but it will take a huge amount to lure him if Riley is playing here, however other factors will figure in too. Ultimately, Fry was lured away by more fans and better facilities at Iowa. We again need to work on those areas.

If he doesn't have success here after 4-5 years, he may not have the option of leaving. Right now this metroplex loves Todd Dodge, and the only chance he goes somewhere else in the next 2 years is if its one of 3 schools. You can think real hard about which 3... and one of them already has their pass happy coach.

I said 4-5 years not because I think it will take that long for an offer but that I think he'll be here atleast until Riley graduates. If Texas makes an offer I doubt he could turn it down but short of a national championship contender making an offer I can't see him leaving while Riley is still at NT.

I said 4-5 years not because I think it will take that long for an offer but that I think he'll be here atleast until Riley graduates. If Texas makes an offer I doubt he could turn it down but short of a national championship contender making an offer I can't see him leaving while Riley is still at NT.

With Riley snubbing Texas I kinda think the allure of a UT HC gig has lost it's luster with Dodge. If Dodge develops a winning program and NT handles its success correctly I see TD being a lifer.