"coaches On The Verge Of Stardom"

I said 4-5 years not because I think it will take that long for an offer but that I think he'll be here atleast until Riley graduates. If Texas makes an offer I doubt he could turn it down but short of a national championship contender making an offer I can't see him leaving while Riley is still at NT.

Funny, wasn't that the same reason that he would not leave Southlake for a college job?

Funny, wasn't that the same reason that he would not leave Southlake for a college job?

Yeah but he took a job 20 minutes from home and didn't have to relocate the family. There isn't a big time job close enough to not disturb his family dynamic I believe his daughter has four more years at Southlake. If he's offered a muli-million dollar deal by a real contender it may change things but I can't see him jumping to a lower level BCS team for at least 4 years.

PS I really hope he does stay here for the next 20years but I'm trying to be realistic and know if he has the success we are all hoping for we won't be able to afford him for too long but do think his family will keep him here for the near future even if he does start receiving offers next season.

Lets say in 4 years UNT has a brand new stadium, three consecutive 9+ win seasons, and Riley has just finished up his eligability. By that time we should have a high attendence record, a large increase in alumni donations, a herd of DFW 4 star recruits wanting to come to UNT, and more support from the university (i.e. a student athletic fee is approved). At this point we should have enough money and local support to lock down Coach Dodge.

We are the 3rd largest University in Texas and right down the road from the fastest growing metropolitan area in the country, gaining a huge following and making UNT a place every coach in the country would dream to coach at won't be a problem once UNT shakes this luke warm vibe that ressonates from our school/athletic department.

I could be totally wrong about this, but I don't see Todd Dodge as a man that will leave after one good year or two no matter the financial offer. He made it explicit that his goal was to turn the Mean Green into the DFW Metroplex's team. Dodge is a man principal and I think that he will fulfill that goal before he considers leaving. Additionally, his son will be here for 4-5 years. I suspect that Riley told his father that he would only transfer if his father was here for at least a majority of those years.

I would think that simply turning North Texas into a 7 or 8 win program will not get Dodge that many offers from BCS schools. Maybe a more prestigious Div-I mid-major, like a Fresno State or Utah.

I would think that simply turning North Texas into a 7 or 8 win program will not get Dodge that many offers from BCS schools. Maybe a more prestigious Div-I mid-major, like a Fresno State or Utah.

Why can't TD turn us, "NT," into that prestigious mid major? Hey one can dream.

Why can't TD turn us, "NT," into that prestigious mid major? Hey one can dream.
Not even Dodge can do that. I mean, he can get us the wins and those will certainly help, but the only way UNT becomes a prestigious mid-major is for the fans to make the program a commodity that is envied by another conference.

I hope he is here for the long haul, but the reality to me is, and one I have come to accept in life (not limited just to sports), if one is presented with a huge increase from what they make today money wise, it becomes hard to turn down. If he does what I hope he can do - getting us to 10 win seasons and maybe cracking the top 25, some school is going to offer him money and whether he takes it or not is of course up to him, but if you were making 250,000 per season, and someone offered you 1.5 million to do the same thing, that is the difference between a nice living, and changing your family's financial future not only for you, but for a generation or two if you do it right.

I hope he is here for the long haul, but the reality to me is, and one I have come to accept in life (not limited just to sports), if one is presented with a huge increase from what they make today money wise, it becomes hard to turn down. If he does what I hope he can do - getting us to 10 win seasons and maybe cracking the top 25, some school is going to offer him money and whether he takes it or not is of course up to him, but if you were making 250,000 per season, and someone offered you 1.5 million to do the same thing, that is the difference between a nice living, and changing your family's financial future not only for you, but for a generation or two if you do it right.

Excellent point. I don't think anyone would blame Dodge for leaving, if that were the case. However, we seem (as usual) to be putting the cart before the horse. Dodge has to get us there first. I have no doubt that he will, but I say we see what happens in his SECOND season to start speculating where and when he'll go.

TD goes no where until his son leaves, you can bank on that. That being said, it should at least 5 more years, assuming Riley red shirts.

How would this be any different from him leaving his son a year early @ Carroll?

What if Mack retires in 3 years and the Longhorns come calling, do you believe he'll turn that opportunity down to coach his son for 2 more years?

What if it's in 3 years, Riley gets his degree early and chooses to follow his dad to UT without having to redshirt or lose a year, because he decides on graduate work we don't offer?

How would this be any different from him leaving his son a year early @ Carroll?

What if Mack retires in 3 years and the Longhorns come calling, do you believe he'll turn that opportunity down to coach his son for 2 more years?

What if it's in 3 years, Riley gets his degree early and chooses to follow his dad to UT without having to redshirt or lose a year, because he decides on graduate work we don't offer?

Then we'll wish them both the best of luck and start looking for a new head coach.