Guess It's Official

flyeater

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank goodness. The general consensus was that Mendoza needed to go. I understand that it must have been very difficult for Coach Dodge to make this decision, but it is one that will make the Mean Green Nation feel much better going forward. Also, I heard on ESPN radio yesterday that Neuheisal is going to keep UCLA's old DC. I wonder if DeLoach is going to be staying put.

Had to be done. It would have held back the program had he not done it and Dodge is too competitive to let that happen.

In addition to the fact that we had the worse defensive stats in all of D1A, this news tells me that one or more of the following statements are probably also true:

- The defensive players were losing respect for coach(es).

- The recruiting of defensive players was suffering because of questions about our staff.

- TD was not happy about "the incident" at Fouts regarding FFR.

I am sure that this was a very painful call for TD. But, it was a necessary one. Whether or not the problem was due to poor coaching, it certainly seemed to be from the fan (and recruit ?) perspective. Fan/recruit perception is very important for us right now, while trying to build a successful program from the ashes, with limited financial resources.

Good luck to coach Mendoza. I am sure he will rebound and succeed elsewhere.

I agree with Island Eagle that this is a tough thing for Coach Mendoza and his family but it had to be done sooner or later. Sooner is better. Coach Dodge is smart enough to know that if he does not get the defense turned around Rick V will be having this same conversation with him in a couple of years.

troy phillips always seems ahead of vito on these reports. why.

Vito would have had the LaCroix story well in advance of Phillips if they hadn't, y'know... Lied to him.

Last night, he was covering the game in Troy. Capper was in Denton. He couldn't chase a story when he was already on his beat working the basketball games.

Vito is a solid reporter, and I'm not just saying that because he was nice enough to talk to us for our jackass website.

From the Fort Worth Star Telegram:

UNT in market for DC

When it came down to honest evaluation, North Texas coach Todd Dodge apparently couldn't deny his defense needed a change at the top.

UNT plans to announce sometime today that defensive coordinator Ron Mendoza has been fired. UNT ranked near the bottom of most defensive categories in the Bowl Subdivision this season and experienced several late-game collapses that -- fairly or unfairly -- left Mendoza the subject of much direct criticism most of the season.

Dodge brought Mendoza and three other coaches from the high school ranks when UNT hired him a little over a year ago. The lack of defensive production despite several returning starters or experienced backups tested Dodge's loyalty to Mendoza, who faced a possible demotion to a position coach. In the end, Dodge for whatever reason felt it was better to part ways despite the difficulty in doing so.

In addition to defensive coordinator, Dodge needs a new cornerbacks coach to replace Butch LaCroix, who resigned last month to return to the sports-marketing industry.

Dodge heads to the national coaches' convention in the next few days, where he'll target some DC candidates. His days of hiring high school coaches, for now, appear over, and don't count on anyone from the current staff being promoted.

--Troy Phillips