Actual Helmet Description

Boomer23

It's fine with me. It's Dodge Ball time and this will help him start placing his own stamp of ownership of this program as well as putting the past in the past and move on with the future. I hate changing anything but this may be a time where it's needed.

FFR will make the adjustment.

Rick

Why should 'placing his own stamp' include changing our uniforms?! To me, this is the kind of stuff that contributes to keeping us small time. We already have our look out in the public's eye after our 4 bowl appearances....to the point that people actually recognize us, somewhat....change the uniforms too much and you just confuse everyone all over again.

That said, if we change our uniforms we need to follow the conventions laid out by Logogate....otherwise we just undermine that entire effort and we'll be right back to changing everything again in 10 years. From what I've heard so far, the new uniforms will actually be closer to the new look than the old uniforms...just wish we didn't copy Southlake's helmet so exactly.....

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's gonna look like Ass. Mark it.

And you might as well get ready for SLC talk during our televised games. The first damn thing out of the spare commentator's mouths will be "They hired the SLC coach, now they have the SLC uniforms."

Which is not entirely fair, since we changed to the lighter green on everything BUT our football uniforms 2 years ago.

If our jerseys end up with bra-strap stripes like Miami, Clemson, and others, I'm gonna puke.

The SOW is dead, its never coming back, its ugly, can we get over this...What the heck is a Son of a worm anyway and who wants that on anything viewed publicly.

I like the white helmets I just hope that we're not called Southlake 13th grade.

I think you are confusing Son of Worm with the flying worm. If you go to the official UNT athletic website, it is plastered with Son of Worm.

Problem is Deep, we all can't even agree on that!! I don't want SOW on the helmets! And I don't think I want SOW anywhere on the uniforms for that matter. The only thing to me that would be recognizable and unique would be the interlocking NT.

True, true. Folks would be wondering why the Philadelphia Eagles joined the Sun Belt.

Not too sure the helment matters much...it's the head wearing the helment that helps to win or lose the game. Start winning and folks won't care what color or design the helmet is...let's get it on and win some games! If TD wants "his" stamp on it, fine with me, but show me an exciting team, one that won't quit and a staff that can and will recruit and I'm fine! Come on Dodgeball!

Guest GrayEagleOne

This is a good hot stove topic but it can't and won't go anywhere.

Look at the number of helmet changes in the stable old Big XII over the last 40 or so years:

Baylor 13

Colorado 13

Iowa State 14

Kansas 14

Kansas State 14

Missouri 7

Nebraska 7

Oklahoma 5

Oklahoma State 11

Texas 6

Texas A&M 9

Texas Tech 9

Over roughly the same period of time North Texas has changed their helmets 10 times. It's not the end of the world and we'll survive it. I like the fact that we don't keep one style forever because times, people and philosophies change. It would be great if everyone accepted the same values but that's not reality. You can't get near unanimity on free love, motherhood, or nickel beer, much less helmets and uniforms.

the most stable helmet and uniform that I can think of is Penn State. I've grown so tired of the same thing year after year that I'm ready for Joe Pa to retire and get someone in there who will stir the pot a little.

For the record, my personal preference would be the SOW logo with an interlocked NT in the newly adopted font style. I'm okay with white or green but the white helmet with green lettering is easier to see on TV.

Hey, it could be worse. We could be stuck with Oregon Duck style uniforms and Cincinnati Bengal type helmets. Now that would really get me up in arms.

So...which of these two will we end up with. It looks like it will be one or the other for sure. I hope we get green facemasks instead of black. Let's not stray too far from our primary color.

helmetoptionssmaller.png

I think those look pretty good. I can live with that. I also like the one without the outline on it. It's easier to read.

I think those look pretty good. I can live with that. I also like the one without the outline on it. It's easier to read.

Too many arguments for too long. Personally, these are not what I want, but if that's what the A.D department wants, I'll live with its. My thoughts when I see this are:

1. The NT Exes logo: Best look so far, but drop it already people, it aint never gonna happen. They were approached about it, and said no. If you still want it, offer them money.

2. The "North Texas" style of branding to me looks very nice, looks really sharp in the end zone. Problem I have basically have is when I see it on a helmet ALL I can think is "Did anyone even try?" It's the laziest solution they could come up with. This is my speculation on how this decision was made. May be way off, but still, its what I think. RV came up with the original idea of putting "text" on the side of the helmet to promote the program. Basically, it's a billboard on a hat. And to a degree, the method has worked. I think as long as he's in charge, that idea is his baby, and it will stay that way. Couple years ago, when it first started, it was the horrible script font. Somone probably said that looks bad, so they agreed new helmets. We'll STILL put North Texas on the side, but a better font. Now people STILL hate the design. It is again agreed for a new helmet, but RV probably said, ok, new WHITE helmet, but we're STILL putting North Texas on the side. Its going to take a some real convincing to him on a business level to get rid of the billboard idea.

3. Interlocked NT wont happen. Not part of the current branding. THE BRANDING CURRENTLY, IS SOW AND THE FONT THAT'S ON THE HELMET NOW. Pick one of these or both combined. If you want something else, you're wasting your time, UNT wont even entertain the idea.

I want to have one helmet and use it for the next 40 years, but please don't use the block north texas on the helmet. It's not original and we'll end up changing it in 3 years because it looks like crap. Let's use something creative like the hybrid SOW with michigan wolverine looking helmet. That's distinct - virtually no one has a helmet like it, and people will recognize and remember it.

I'm asking everyone to do me a favor, please e-mail RV or do something to boycott the block lettered helmets. We're looking for a design that people will see and automatically associate it with NT. We want something unique that stands out from the crowd, not a microsoft word looking font.

THE BRANDING CURRENTLY, IS SOW AND THE FONT THAT'S ON THE HELMET NOW. Pick one of these or both combined. If you want something else, you're wasting your time, UNT wont even entertain the idea.

Oh! Right, I forgot NT is very consistent in taking a stand on design and sticking with it. :rolleyes:

Edited by Stan R

True, true. Folks would be wondering why the Philadelphia Eagles joined the Sun Belt.

No, they will be laughing at us for trying to look like Philly. As I mentioned before, it has already happened and will continue to happen. I know, it's not as important as, oh - I don't know - curing cancer but still...

No, they will be laughing at us for trying to look like Philly. As I mentioned before, it has already happened and will continue to happen. I know, it's not as important as, oh - I don't know - curing cancer but still...

We'd be better off looking like Philly than freakin SLC.

1. Dodge can do what he wants, as long as.... well you know

2. White helmet.... fine by me.... we've had white before!

3. flying worm... nice in its time, but that's the problem - in its time! Very dated... Honestly, I hope that sucker is dead...

4. The only thing I'm really concerned with is becoming The University of North Southlake... or North Carroll... Maybe How about North Carroll State!

*Not too big a concern (See 1 above)

New design does have a classic look....

No, they will be laughing at us for trying to look like Philly. As I mentioned before, it has already happened and will continue to happen.

Does anyone know what reaction Rice got when it went to a helmet with wings on the sides? I remember thinking how much that looked like Philly's helmet:

58739.jpg

That looks a lot more like NFL Philly than any of the suggested UNT helmets with the new Eagle logo.

Here goes:

Interlocked NT:: Stop yelling about the interlocked letters. It won't happen, it's not what the university is doing, and it's not anywhere in the logo/branding library. They ground teeth about finding a set that they can stick with, they won't add to it now. Personally, everyone does interlocked letters, there's no reason we should. Yeah, it's collegiate, but thats about the only reason I hear about it. It's like when companies starting using polymers for pistol frames and people didn't want them since they weren't metal...guess what, it was new and novel and it worked.

Athletic Font:: I don't like it and it's hard to read at a distance. The thing is, UNT isn't as widely a recognized school as we'd like it to be, so it's gonna have to be spelled out for now. Once the school's rep is bigger, then they can put the new Eagle logo on the helmet, while keeping the rest of the uniform the same. The font was also made specifically for the school, so it's not a MSWORD font. It's a display font, and really not meant to be used for anything longer than a few words.

New Eagle or "Son of Worm":: I think it's pretty cool, and it's exclusive to the university, but not recognized enough because the school isn't super-high profile yet. Give it time.

But either way, let's get the new unis design and keep it for at least 10 years, changing as little as possible, please? If this is the helmet we get, it's white and collegiate enough because of that and the triple stripe...and it's not a ripoff of all of the interlock letter schools. We're not UT, let's not look like them in green unis, shall we?

Edited by meangreendork

Athletic Font:: I don't like it and it's hard to read at a distance. The thing is, UNT isn't as widely a recognized school as we'd like it to be, so it's gonna have to be spelled out for now. Once the school's rep is bigger, then they can put the new Eagle logo on the helmet, while keeping the rest of the uniform the same. The font was also made specifically for the school, so it's not a MSWORD font. It's a display font, and really not meant to be used for anything longer than a few words.

You're telling me we should stick with a block lettering of North Texas just so people know who we are? Are you kidding me!? Your logic doesn't make any sense... if we never use the SOW logo it doesn't matter if it's 10 or 30 years the general population will have no idea what it is and who it represents. If you don't like the eagle as our logo, that's fine your entitled to your opinion, but don't say we're using an athletic font because people can't recognize us.

Doesn't UNT have one of the best visual art programs in the nation? What about advertising and comm. design? Wow, spelling out the school name really represents the universities creative and artistic side.

av-2633.png40-147.jpg

Now those look alike!