Meet today's 2024-25 Mean Green???

Its not personal its business... The players are no longer playing for an education, they are playing for money.  With that mentality its almost a requirement for players to dip into the portal, this how it works in the professional world. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

20 hours ago, greenminer said:

Most of them were recruited to fit McCasland's system.  What if Hodge has a different vision for our system? Do you change the system to accommodate this loyalty/investment, or do you take advantage of the portal to put yourself in a winning position...sooner?

Edwards, Buggs and Noland arrived as transfers after McCasland left and Ross was named his replacement.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Tommy Gadberry said:

I think McCasland will get the Baylor job and Tech may be looking as Ross to replace him.

Tech fans would revolt.  Ross has no skins or banners yet as a Dl coach.  He has no connection to Tech like Grant did.

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Tech fans would revolt.  Ross has no skins or banners yet as a Dl coach.  He has no connection to Tech like Grant did.

For real. Half of that ridiculous fanbase completely freaked when McCasland was the choice last year thinking it was “small time”. No way they could sell Ross as the hire to that group.

Edited by Green Lantern
  • Upvote 4

21 hours ago, wardly said:

Coaches and AD's use G5 programs as stepping stones [ Wren, Mac] so how can you not expect players to as well.

Calipari made $8.5 million at UK with all the pressure and lack of NIL to go with the job.  Drew makes a reported $5.13 million at Baylor with an alumni base funding NIL's left and right and about half, if that much, the pressure at UK.  Drew could end his career at Baylor in another 15 years pocketing around $80 million, have a statue erected on the banks of the Brazos and be a local legend or he could go to UK, spend about 5 years before the pressure and expectations run him off and pocket around $42.5 million.

Because of ego, he will probably go to UK, flame out in 5 years of so, and end up on Sports Center or covering March Madness every year.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, GMG24 said:

We released him from his National Letter of Intent, he was a signee not a commit.  Staff had to release him from what he signed. 

Well that’s actually much worse then. 

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Well that’s actually much worse then. 

Not necessarily, with the attrition we are facing they may have felt they needed more play ready now guys which I don't really disagree with.  This young man was going to need 2 maybe 3 years before he was ready to play championship level basketball in the AAC 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

22 minutes ago, NT80 said:

We don't need development high school players in this time of NIL and Portal. We need experienced JUCO or other college-portal players that seek starting positions to apply.

record player GIF

18 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Not necessarily, with the attrition we are facing they may have felt they needed more play ready now guys which I don't really disagree with.  This young man was going to need 2 maybe 3 years before he was ready to play championship level basketball in the AAC 

I don’t like pulling a scholarship this late in the game for any reason other than character issues/criminal activity (if that is what happened). Yes we lost an entire top six but we also lost guys who literally never saw the court. I am sure there was room for a developing shooter. Give him Stone’s spot. 

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I don’t like pulling a scholarship this late in the game for any reason other than character issues/criminal activity (if that is what happened). Yes we lost an entire top six but we also lost guys who literally never saw the court. I am sure there was room for a developing shooter. Give him Stone’s spot. 

Does not necessarily mean we pulled it, he may have asked.  We don't have to release him from his NLI National Letter of Intent, but can choose to do so.  

• Upvote 3

On 4/11/2024 at 4:43 PM, NTSU 74 said:

wOULD YOU REALLY WANT A KID THAT DIDN'T WANT TO BE HERE?

That is a trick question.  Few players that sign at any school other than the very top tier (SEC, Big East, etc.) schools would not desire to be part of those elite programs.  

Likewise, by signing with any team that player has expressed his desire to play for that team.  

So there is no way, a kid? (player) would sign at any school if he did not want to be there.  Maybe not his first choice or in his top hundred; but based on what is available to him; it was decided it was his best option. 

• 2 weeks later...

returning (so far)

1. Rondel Walker - 6'5" 180 Sr., wing
2. Matt Stone - 6'4" 200 Sr., wing
3. Moulaye Sissoko - 6'10" 250 Sr., post
4. Terrance Dixon - 6'8" 235 Jr/Soph?, post (scholarship?)
5. Alex Cotton - 6'5" 195, Fr., wing

transfers

6. Johnathan Massie (Longwood) - 6'6" 190 Sr., wing ... 11.3ppg, 5.2rpg, 35% 3pt%
7. Jasper Floyd (Fairfield) - 6'3" 195 Sr., guard ... 9.5ppg, 5.9rpg, 4.1apg, 2.4 steals/game (9th in nation)
8. Latrell Jossel (SFA) - 6'1" 185 Sr., guard ...12.9ppg, 2.3apg, 37% 3pt%
9. Brock Vice (Creighton) - 6'10" 245 Fr., post ...redshirted '23-24 season

freshmen

10. Tyron Mason (Plano) - 6'6" 185 Fr., wing

if we assume Dixon is on scholarship. there should be three more to play with. apparently 2 D1 transfers are on campus this week. 

there's not a ton of size, but a lot of length on the wings which could make up for not having a legit 4. Floyd's numbers present him as a true PG...no clue on Jossel, but looks more like a scorer...I think either way, we need bare-minimum one more ball-handler. 

Vice/Dixon are both pure wild-cards...I'd say at least one more 6'8"-6'10" player no matter what...if either/both can contribute next season, then my last ship goes to another scoring guard...if not, go big

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

returning (so far)

1. Rondel Walker - 6'5" 180 Sr., wing
2. Matt Stone - 6'4" 200 Sr., wing
3. Moulaye Sissoko - 6'10" 250 Sr., post
4. Terrance Dixon - 6'8" 235 Jr/Soph?, post (scholarship?)
5. Alex Cotton - 6'5" 195, Fr., wing

transfers

6. Johnathan Massie (Longwood) - 6'6" 190 Sr., wing ... 11.3ppg, 5.2rpg, 35% 3pt%
7. Jasper Floyd (Fairfield) - 6'3" 195 Sr., guard ... 9.5ppg, 5.9rpg, 4.1apg, 2.4 steals/game (9th in nation)
8. Latrell Jossel (SFA) - 6'1" 185 Sr., guard ...12.9ppg, 2.3apg, 37% 3pt%
9. Brock Vice (Creighton) - 6'10" 245 Fr., post ...redshirted '23-24 season

freshmen

10. Tyron Mason (Plano) - 6'6" 185 Fr., wing

if we assume Dixon is on scholarship. there should be three more to play with. apparently 2 D1 transfers are on campus this week. 

there's not a ton of size, but a lot of length on the wings which could make up for not having a legit 4. Floyd's numbers present him as a true PG...no clue on Jossel, but looks more like a scorer...I think either way, we need bare-minimum one more ball-handler. 

Vice/Dixon are both pure wild-cards...I'd say at least one more 6'8"-6'10" player no matter what...if either/both can contribute next season, then my last ship goes to another scoring guard...if not, go big

Definitely we need one more PG , a 6-7 to 6-9 PF, bag another 6-7 to 6-10 P/F