North Texas Portal Entry Thread

TheReal_jayD

37 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

I imagine these collectives will look at their ROI’s.

I would expect there will be instances of collectives telling coaches we aren't pouring any more money into that kid, though I expect the norm will be coaches saying, don't spend any more or don't spend more than X.

The real issue is the donor class. If you are paying and getting 3 win teams, your enthusiasm is bound to wane.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

@TheReal_jayDsays that most of these guys were encouraged to leave so take that as you wish.

I’m sure this was meant to be a facetious comment.. but outside of Maclin, Ayo, Wilson, Miner and Febechi I don’t see staff losing any sleep over any one else that has hit portal so far. And 3 of the 5 I listed were walk ons and 1 of the others only offer out of portal was UNT. Sucks losing them. But it’s happening to everyone. There is over 1000 guys in portal right now. Almost 10 per team

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

I would expect there will be instances of collectives telling coaches we aren't pouring any more money into that kid, though I expect the norm will be coaches saying, don't spend any more or don't spend more than X.

The real issue is the donor class. If you are paying and getting 3 win teams, your enthusiasm is bound to wane.

First, I appreciate your posts.  You’re pretty level headed and see things pretty clearly. Not sure what brings you around these parts but I’m glad you’re around.  

To me, we need genuine regulation.  Either re-empower the NCAA or come up with something different.  I’m not sure why we’d come up with something different when there’s already an infrastructure.  I think the TV deals shifted the power from the regulatory authority to the conferences/schools.  For a time, that was good. I don’t necessarily want the old NCAA back but we have got to have governance over this thing really fast before it’s all in ruins if it isn’t already.  It’s so sad to me to see something I’ve loved all my life look the way it does today. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I’m sure this was meant to be a facetious comment.. but outside of Maclin, Ayo, Wilson, Miner and Febechi I don’t see staff losing any sleep over any one else that has hit portal so far. And 3 of the 5 I listed were walk ons and 1 of the others only offer out of portal was UNT. Sucks losing them. But it’s happening to everyone. There is over 1000 guys in portal right now. Almost 10 per team

No disrespect was attached to my comment. I was simply saying what I had seen said. It was in no way a swipe at you.

13 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Doing what they deem best for their own personal situation will make them miserable adults? Not to mention, some of the portal entries are encouraged by their current coaches.

Yes because more often than not their decisions are all about me me me… granted they could just as easily be buried in the depth chart, but there must be balance. One and only one transfer and abolish the NIL! 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

30 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Yes because more often than not their decisions are all about me me me… granted they could just as easily be buried in the depth chart, but there must be balance. One and only one transfer and abolish the NIL! 

The dog is out of the bag. 

It does need regulation. 

However, the NCAA just put out confirmation they are working on a system that separates the rich from the poor and creates a new "division" of collegiate athletics. My guess is that it will be for football only. Furthering the case of allocating far more of our funds into basketball. The smart universities willing to get this done early will set a foundation that catapults them into relevancy. The dumb universities will be completely reactionary. Guess which category UNT will fall in...

• Puking Eagle 2

11 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

I don't know what anyone else is doing. I know the one at A-State does one year deals. They don't commit money they don't have. They also pay after the fact. You have to meet your various obligations during the month or you are likely to have your pay held until you make the required appearances and social media posts. I highly doubt that is the practice everywhere but one of the organizers at A-State was COO of a very large bank and did a stint at the Federal Reserve.

My expectation is we will eventually see a collective go to bankruptcy or just flat fold because it lacks any assets to protect in bankruptcy court and some really unhappy players when the check bounces or never arrives.

I also expect some schools will have the embarrassment of discovering that the person they hired to run the collective is a film-flam man and has skimmed money off in various schemes.

Again won't be pretty.

Hmmm........SURELY North Texas wouldn't get itself into such a situation.....😎

35 minutes ago, Andrew said:

So...reverting things back to the old ways?? Changes obviously need to be made, but there is no future in which NIL is completely done away with. Athletes already got a taste of this life, trying to have them turn back would destroy CFB 

• Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Excuse my French but we're douchebagED

And the last domino to fall. We only have ourselves (UNT) to blame.  If our alum, besides about 5% of us over the last 3 decades gave a douchebag then we'd be in a totally different situation on multiple levels.

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3