If we beat smu

EAGLE83

It would be great and something to build on for next year. However, the odds are very small that we beat them. I'm glad $MU will be gone. It's a one sided rivalry and we don't gain anything by playing them. I take that back, it does lower travel costs.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Historically it seems we always played SMU early in the season (first game or two).  Playing later in the season will help us and this could be a trap game for them as they look ahead to their game against Memphis next week.  I don't know if any of this will actually make a difference, but this is the best setup for us in a long time.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, jtm0097 said:

It would be great and something to build on for next year. However, the odds are very small that we beat them. I'm glad $MU will be gone. It's a one sided rivalry and we don't gain anything by playing them. I take that back, it does lower travel costs.

“To build on for next year?”

It’s always next year. That’s the pattern and the problem.  We always assume there will be a next year. Meanwhile some get rich waiting for next year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

22 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

“To build on for next year?”

It’s always next year. That’s the pattern and the problem.  We always assume there will be a next year. Meanwhile some get rich waiting for next year. 

It's next year because we pissed away most of our opportunities this year.

FIU, Navy, Tulane, Memphis, and UTSA= opportunities pissed away

If we want to go to a bowl game, we have to beat SMU, Tulsa, and UAB. We don't have the defense to beat SMU, and our offense can never seem to get it together until the 2nd half. I didn't expect this year to be a rebuild but here we are. Another wasted year of going to Denton each month sitting in an empty stadium with the same disappointing results. Things have to change next year or the football program is going to start losing some of the diehards. It's pretty damn apparent that this is happening by the lack of attendance this year. I'm not sure if it's the case of Monday, shitty losses by this team and the Cowboys or what, but it's irritating.

My rant is over with. One positive thing to note, basketball starts tomorrow.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keith said:

Historically it seems we always played SMU early in the season (first game or two).  Playing later in the season will help us and this could be a trap game for them as they look ahead to their game against Memphis next week.  I don't know if any of this will actually make a difference, but this is the best setup for us in a long time.

If we could just start the game like it was halftime and we were two touchdowns behind, we might be able to beat them. Tell Caponi to pretend that adjustments are needed because what we're doing on defense isn't working.

2 minutes ago, rcade said:

If we could just start the game like it was halftime and we were two touchdowns behind, we might be able to beat them. Tell Caponi to pretend that adjustments are needed because what we're doing on defense isn't working.

Same for Morris. Offense is generally pretty terrible in the first half and doesn’t help out our stinky defense.

This is the least optimism I have ever seen over here about this game. I guess there's usually still some early season vibes when we play though. 

I have no idea how this game will go. We look like world beaters some games, and pretty pedestrian others. Yalls QB is nice. I'm curious to see how he handles our DL since we generate a decent amount of pressure. As bad as you are on defense, the drop 8 is actually what Preston struggles with the most and we don't have our typical stud receiver that can take over a game. Jordan Hudson is getting slowly getting there, but hasn't had a huge breakout game yet. Our RBs are pretty good when healthy, but our run blocking can be inconsistent. Some interesting matchups to keep an eye on.  

Edited by Dpony14
  • Upvote 3