Worst hire since Dodge?

TreeFiddy

Simple question. 

Maybe even worse than Dodge considering the money involved?

Hard to imagine a worse start for a coach that was supposed to elevate the program.  So far this is definitely a significant step backward for the program and a HUGE swing and miss by the AD.  This is the type of hire that got RV fired.

• Upvote 10
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 15
  • Puking Eagle 3

18 hours ago, Mrs. Esterhouse said:

Mac as in Coach McCarney? The last coach to get us a bowl win? That Mac? Yes, his tenure ended horribly but he also led some great teams and he truly cared about the character of his players. 

Yes that Mac. And he led one good team. Not teams. He was a coach that couldn’t recruit worth a flip. Actually did that bowl win with Dodge guys. And who gave us the biggest train wreck of a team for a single season I have ever seen. Even over the Dodge years….  Yes. That was a terrible hire. 
he left us in worst shape than any coach has in the modern era. I have never seen a coach wreck a program like he did. Which is why SL was a good hire to bring the program out of that mess. 

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, MrAlien said:

First off, this was going to be a rebuilding year.

Second, Morris was a late hire, had virtually no recruiting, missed most of the fall transfer window, and most of the good assistant coaches were already committed to other schools. 

He was hired December 13th. Had from them to the spring portal. Basically said no thanks. This is the result. 

Not sure what it is with North Texas people bending over backwards hear after year after year to defend a poor North Texas product. Make it make sense. 

I'd be more understanding if someone got on here and simply said it's year 1, let's see what year 2 looks like. I don't like that mindset, but I at least understand it. For every excuse posted on this we website, there are 2 or 3 major flaws associated with the excuse. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, rcade said:

G.J. Kinne was hired by Texas State 11 days before Morris and had the other disadvantages you list. The Bobcats are 6-3 and have an upset win over Baylor.

Jeff Traylor was hired by UTSA on Dec. 9, 2019. They went 5-2 in conference the next season (7-5 overall).

First-year coaches hired after a season have had success. It just hasn't happened in Denton since Rod Rust in 1967.

Facts GIF by Judge Jerry

• Upvote 7

I don’t think Morris was a bad hire. His offense is doing well in his first season with room to grow as he recruits to his system. We’re putting plenty of points in the board to win games…

Caponi, on the other hand, was a bad hire in my opinion. Not at all because of him personally…but why would you bring in an inexperienced DC to implement a scheme that the roster clearly isn’t built for and expect success in an elevated conference? I was optimistic at first based on his Iowa State experience and what they were able to do with the 3-3-5…but this is bad. I think it’s time to call it a failed experiment and bring in an experienced DC who runs a four man front and knows how to coach tackling and produce stops. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Don’t forget. We pretty much hired Dodge because we couldn’t afford anyone else. Given the resources available now compared to then….

The pay was crappy but do you really think there were no FBS coordinators, head coaches or former head coaches who would've taken that job? One hundred coaches contacted RV. Jim Harbaugh, Nebraska OC Jay Norvell and (according to some reports) Jimbo Fisher all interviewed for it.

• Sad 1