Army is In

MCMLXXX

3 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Having been in the Army for a short stint, I look forward to playing them again.  

I was born in Jefferson County(Texas).  

So was I, Deep.  However, I'll have to cover Navy and look forward to playing them (as well as Army).  If we can get Air Force...I've got a connection there also, so bring them on too.  I graduated from AFROTC at North Texas.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Why does the Army - Navy game need to be out of conference?  Every press release keeps referencing "preserving the Non-conference matchup".  Why does that matter?

There is probably an NCAA technicality where you cannot have a conference regular season game after your conference championship game. Now, it would be interesting if the Navy and Army played for the conference championship before their "Army-Navy" game in the future.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GrayEagle said:

So was I, Deep.  However, I'll have to cover Navy and look forward to playing them (as well as Army).  If we can get Air Force...I've got a connection there also, so bring them on too.  I graduated from AFROTC at North Texas.

Jefferson County?  What town?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I think KingDL1 listed the county where he's born because that's where West Point is so adding Army hits home in a sense. Others, I'm not sure.

Bingo, yes, sir! 

Orange County Choppers also. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

23 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Army-Navy being a non-conference game is very awkward and could lead to some weird, unintended, and unfair consequences.  We'll see. 

I agree.  I wanted Army vs Navy and championship weekend to switch places in the CFB schedule as soon as 3 conferences started having conference championship games.  Now it makes even more sense.  An Army vs Navy game with spot in the AAC championship game on the line way more intriguing.   A “meaningless” rematch of an AAC championship game a week later doesn’t make sense.  If the schedule was switched, Army vs Navy still gets the FBS stage all to itself that weekend preserving the tradition.  Also all the conference championship game qualifiers get a week rest and we might get better games.  

In my opinion the lack rematches in the regular season is part of what makes college football unique and more passionate than NFL.  

Edited by Meangreen Fight
  • Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

I didn't want this.  I support the military institutions and at one time would have welcomed them to be conference mates, but the recent Army games had way too many dirty players making dangerous plays.

They had one guy - I think a DB -  making really dirty/ugly plays, years ago.  What else has rubbed you wrong?

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

Why does the Army - Navy game need to be out of conference?  Every press release keeps referencing "preserving the Non-conference matchup".  Why does that matter?

They have a separate tv deal for that specific game that brings in lots of money and eyeballs. It's important for both to keep that game. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1