SMU raises 100 million in a week?

19 minutes ago, rojomojo said:

You lived through the entirety of SMU's death penalty scandal and you still don't believe shady oil tycoons influence athletics in Texas?

Man, you are all over the place.  This article is about the here and now and you bring up something that occurred 40 years ago?

We should punch a rig over by the old soccer field and see what we find.  That area might be teaming with oil beneath the service.

• Haha 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, TripleGrad said:

Who cares?  Aside from our one football game this season, can we -please- move past the ponyboys?  

I see this as being less about SMU and more about how the bar is shifting in D1 football and the DFW Metroplex itself.

The bar is being raised, and UNT will need to figure out a way to step up if we want to be competitive. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

That press release shows SMU is good at shoveling horsecrap.

Notably, the move has immediately raised SMU's profile, with media coverage of the move generating more than $163 million in advertising value in the first three days.

Three days of being in the news is worth $54 million a day? A Super Bowl ad costs $7 million. SMU thinks accepting no TV revenue until 2034 to join a P5 football conference is as valuable as running 23 Super Bowl commercials.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, dodgefan said:

This story is all over social media today, our bigs better get organized.

https://smumustangs.com/news/2023/9/18/general-smu-raises-unprecedented-100m-in-seven-days.aspx

It's not being organized, it's that we don't have enough "bigs". And we never will unless the students and future students start caring enough to donate when they become a "big".

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

I see this as being less about SMU and more about how the bar is shifting in D1 football and the DFW Metroplex itself.

The bar is being raised, and UNT will need to figure out a way to step up if we want to be competitive. 

SMU uses their money to get into the club...everyone else in the Power Level club uses their combo of fans, media, money, and political power. The rest of us don't get the luxury of going into that club, so we all need to find our way forward. To me, the Powers are going to separate soon enough, probably withing 10 years. The top 40 brands will get to be NFL-lite teams and then there will be the next 40-80 teams that will look like more traditional college teams. Quite honestly, this cannot happen fast enough. We have had all of about 20 college teams dominate the CFB world over the last 60 years. That's colossally boring. The NCAA Tournament for basketball proves this point, as Americans always want the underdog to have a chance to beat the giants. But CFB media, politics, and money control that product so hard that its almost impossible to get included without winning so much that you cannot be ignored. This means finishing in the Top 10 on multiple occasions AND having a major market to sell. Hence, TCU, UH, UCF, Cincy, and BYU being able to jump upward. And those 5 teams are probably biding time until the future schism I mentioned above finally happens. 

I don't have any issue with UNT trying to be the best it can be with programs that are on our level with funding, fan interest, and media coverage. Sadly, that eliminates all the SWC teams, except Rice. But it does still include schools in the AAC, CUSA, SBC, MWC, and MAC. And that's still a lot of schools to compete against to be a great program. And I think we can do just that IF we can ever get the right mix of great coach, great roster, and both regular season and postseason wins.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TripleGrad said:

Who cares?  Aside from our one football game this season, can we -please- move past the ponyboys?  

This.

A few old farts in Highland Park throw away a hundred mil of their grandkids' inheritance and people gent bent out of shape over it.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, dodgefan said:

This story is all over social media today, our bigs better get organized.

https://smumustangs.com/news/2023/9/18/general-smu-raises-unprecedented-100m-in-seven-days.aspx

At least put this shit on the Realignment forum.

Mods - I know the clicks are important, but please stop letting the UNT football forum be used to promote SMU. Honestly, it makes this site look bad.

• Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

It's not being organized, it's that we don't have enough "bigs". And we never will unless the students and future students start caring enough to donate when they become a "big".

You can't tell me you can't come up with just 100 people with $1M.  They just aren't motivated properly

Edited by DentonStang
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, DentonStang said:

Next $100M is mostly raised to cover the second half of our no revenue period in AAC

Donors in the 80's got a return on their investment of "Death Penalty" for the program.

Donors in the 2020's will soon learn the value of their donation in the ACC = total embarrassment 

• Upvote 1

I'm not knowledgeable on what I'm about to say so just jump in if I'm off base.

Schools like SMU have been graduating students for decades with degrees that usually result in high paying jobs, with many becoming Corporate leaders of major corporations. Engineering, Medicine, etc.  They have been producing graduates in these fields for decades.  These people make big money!  And when these money makers become CEO's, or some other high paying job, they make more money.  I personally know an SMU graduate that played ball for SMU, then became a big time executive with a global oil company.  He's got more money than God!  Sure, he probably started his first job in Siberia for some oil company, but that's what they do.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

22 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Schools like SMU have been graduating students for decades with degrees that usually result in high paying jobs, with many becoming Corporate leaders of major corporations. 

You forgot to mention the part where they got the job at their daddies company.

For fun, this reddit thread seems to be having fun with SMU:

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

Why don't they just go ahead and buy an NFL team if they want to throw away so much money ?  It would be a better investment.  The big money SMU alums are helping to ruin college football by making it all about $$$.  

The NIL and transfer portal was a wet dream come true for SMU.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 4