POLL: How Many Wins in 2023?

Cerebus

How Many Wins for the Mean Green in 2023?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Win Total

This poll is closed to new votes

Based on ESPN's FPI the Mean Green (FPI -4.4) are expected to go 6-6 this year:

Team FPI Projection
California 3.3 L
@FiU -16.1 W
@LaTech -8.2 W
ACU NA W
@Navy -9.3 W
Temple -9.4 W
@Tulane 2.4 L
Memphis 1.3 L
UTSA 0.2 L
@SMU 4.7 L
@TULSA -7.4 W
UAB -3.7 L

What is your projection?

• Upvote 2

• Cerebus changed the title to POLL: How Many Wins in 2023?

I put seven (ESPN’s projected six + I think we can take Cal at home in the heat).

However, if we are 6-0 going into the gauntlet stretch of Tulane, Memphis, UTSA and SMU, I think we’ll have what it takes to win at least one of those if we’re healthy. Memphis and UTSA didn’t beat us by much last year…

All that to say, I think seven is realistic but 8–10 is absolutely doable if Morris and Capponi get the defense rolling and we stay healthy.

• Upvote 5

This is a real tricky year to predict. Obviously we have a tough back half. But I really think we have a great shot to come out 6-0. And at that point, the team is confident and you can't count us out of any game.

I will say 5-1 in the first half, 3-3 in the back, and we WIN a bowl game.

Don't ask me to predict who we beat and lose to.

6 wins sounds about right.  We return a good portion of last year's 7-win team, but I expect some hiccups with a coaching change and possibly some growing pains with a new QB.  But if things go well, I don't know if there's a single game on our schedule that's absolutely unwinnable.  SMU has been very tough for us the past few years, though.

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

image.png.241e493dc4126c07625bda007edddcfb.png

This was close to mine, but I think we beat Cal.  I also thought we would beat Tulsa, which put me at nine wins, and I thought I was being overly optimistic, so I figured there will be a game in there we will lose that we should win.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

This was close to mine, but I think we beat Cal.  I also thought we would beat Tulsa, which put me at nine wins, and I thought I was being overly optimistic, so I figured there will be a game in there we will lose that we should win.

I tried to pick a win and loss not many people are expecting. Tulsa is my unexpected loss and Memphis is the win. I agree, we should beat Tulsa, but as we know, things never go according to plan. 

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

6 wins sounds about right.  We return a good portion of last year's 7-win team, but I expect some hiccups with a coaching change and possibly some growing pains with a new QB.  But if things go well, I don't know if there's a single game on our schedule that's absolutely unwinnable.  SMU has been very tough for us the past few years, though.

I expect improvement with the coaching change.

The crazy thing about this year is that outside of Tulane and SMU (who just seems to have our number the last few years), I think most of these are tossups. I think we are going to have some “oh crap” moments in year 1 of a new coach trying to find a QB, but I also think we line up pretty well against a lot of these teams. I may have on green shaded sunglasses, but I’m going to say we go 8-5 (with an elusive bowl win).

Also, as a Leach pupil, I expect Morris to coach the team up and pull off a big upset at least once a year like they always seemed to do at Tech, so I am going to predict that to be the ponies this year.

• Upvote 1

Lot of yall sleeping on Tulsa. That Braylon Braxton is a huge threat at QB. At best most of these games are toss ups. At worst, 1st year coach and a new program. I'm impressed with the way Morris talks, but that's really all we have to go on right now. I accidentally clicked 8 in the poll, but if we can get a 6 win regular season and a bowl birth, I think that's a successful first year.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Lot of yall sleeping on Tulsa. That Braylon Braxton is a huge threat at QB. At best most of these games are toss ups. At worst, 1st year coach and a new program. I'm impressed with the way Morris talks, but that's really all we have to go on right now. I accidentally clicked 8 in the poll, but if we can get a 6 win regular season and a bowl birth, I think that's a successful first year.

I agree Tulsa is going to be tough.  That's a killer QB.

How would the board react if we won the first six and then lost the last six?

• Upvote 1

Still a lot of questions about this team, among them: whos the QB?  how good is the defense?  I got them at 4 wins, I dont think LaTECH is going to be that easy (its a win they really want) so I got them loosing that one.  I also dont think they will win at Navy. 

So a 3-3 start, then the schedule gets tough probably loose the next 4, Tulsa is probably the next possible win, however at 3-7 what shape will the team be in? 

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

16 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

He is very talented for sure.  Wilson is a solid coach as well.  It is certainly not an easy W.