Breaking: Tylor Perry enters transfer portal

6 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

again, everyone keeps just pointing out NIL. I know for a fact TP had a nice NIL deal with UNT. yes, where ever he lands will likely be able to offer more and it'll probably be a factor in his decision...but I think for a dude like TP he cares more about the experiential opportunity of his last year of eligibility. basically, I think it'd be more fun to be the sixth man for a top 25 ranked team playing in front of a full house of 19K a night knowing you'll almost certainly have an NCAA tournament game than being the star for a "mid-major" in a 1/3rd full arena with a coin-flip chance of dancing in March.

everyone wants to scape-goat NIL here. but a lot more needs to be done in all aspects of the program if you really want to keep this from happening here. 

That sounds cute and all, but money is always a motivator. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

I have no insight on Perry's NIL offers. That said, when Nijel Pack went from K-State to Miami last cycle, a little 2 year $400k/year NIL deal may have influenced his move. That's just one of Pack's deals that I know of. He was the number 2 rated transfer portal player and (off the top of my head) was a sophomore. I'm not sure Perry would be looking at that type of money considering he only has 1 year left and there are some more sought after scoring guards in the portal like Max Abma and the Tulane guard. I do wish Perry the best, though.

Those criticizing, think back to your senior year of college. If you planned on going to grad school and were offered $50k plus a free year of tuition at another school for your first year, you'd go. You may not even care what school it was, you'd go. In 10 years, his bills won't be paid by a "Loyal To UNT" fund. They'll be paid by him. I wish he'd stay. I'll be sour if he goes to Tech. But regardless, I understand the decision because I'd do the same no matter how much I love this school.

• Upvote 9
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, GMG93 said:

Can’t be anything but happy for Tylor.  Hope he makes bank and has continued success wherever he lands.  He delivered some of the best basketball I’ve witnessed at UNT and helped bring back a program that was seemingly stomped out by the TB era.  

He has heart, seems like a genuinely good person, helped deliver an NIT title and is set to finish his undergrad in May to become a UNT alum. That’s a legacy to be proud of.  

I didn’t realize he was set to graduate next month. Even better.  Welcome to the alumni world, TP!  

Edited by Glory to the Green
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

On 4/3/2023 at 11:41 PM, UNTLifer said:

And not what the NIL is supposed to be.   The NIL wasn’t put in place to pay players a salary. If they don’t get it under control, it will ruin the sport. 

The NIL doesn't pay players a salary. You have to work to get a salary. The NIL pays them for being themselves even if they never play a minute.

I love UNT but if I was an athlete and could get paid 10 times as much NIL money to play in a bigger conference, I'd probably leave as fast as the check cashed in my new Maserati.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 8
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

8 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

The future NT Athletic Hall of Famer deserves & is due all the praise he’s getting, but he has to (apparently) move on just like we all do.  We still have good memories that not even NIL can buy or take away from us. 

GMG!

Plumm, I see you a lot in the foozball forums, glad you found your way over to bball!!! Welcome!

GMG!

• Upvote 3

Tylor Perry has received expressions of interest from Arkansas, Cal, Florida, Minnesota, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Tennessee, Texas Tech, UCF and Wake Forest, per 247 Sports.

When you're in the G5, losing a player who was great on a national stage is the natural order of things. UNT has to do the same thing and make fans of a smaller school upset that we poached their Tylor Perry.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, rcade said:

Tylor Perry has received expressions of interest from Arkansas, Cal, Florida, Minnesota, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Tennessee, Texas Tech, UCF and Wake Forest, per 247 Sports.

I just hope he doesn't go to Tech. I don't want Tech thinking we can just be a farm system for them. I wouldn't even mind if he went to OU or OSU. Just not Tech.

• Upvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 4/3/2023 at 10:02 PM, CMJ said:

I figured Perry was gone, I just thought it would be to playing overseas.  

My understanding is that if he's selected in the NBA draft, he'll go there.  If not, he'll go where he feels the most comfortable (and probably pays the highest NIL).  To me, it seems very possible that Grant could plead with him for his last season of eligibility and could offer a fairly lucrative deal as well.  But, somehow I don't see the MVP of the NIT not getting drafted to the NBA.  He'll have a lot of options.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

I just hope he doesn't go to Tech. I don't want Tech thinking we can just be a farm system for them. I wouldn't even mind if he went to OU or OSU. Just not Tech.

why? relationships are important and TP clearly loves GM. if I thought Tech could be a national title contender, I'd rather TP go to Tech than anywhere else to have that chance with GM.

y'all realize these dudes are your rooting interest, not scorned lovers, right?

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

Don't know how i feel about him leaving. but I know he will a) be missed and b) be sought after. The athletic came out with a ranking of the 80 best available transfer portal players. Number one was michigans 7-1 center. Number two was TP. When you are the best guard available, you get paid in the current transfer portal.

Unless I missed him scrolling through by the way, Ousmane did not make the list

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

On 4/6/2023 at 10:46 PM, NT80 said:

Tylor Perry had finished Community College when we signed him; we didn't poach him from anybody. 

But I understand your point as we got other players from the portal.  It's understandable when a player is sitting and transfers, but hard to accept when a player had great success, seemed to enjoy the program, but is only lured away by money from other program$.

Noooooo, can't be money. It's his desire to play in front of bigger crowds for LESS money. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Dannymacfan said:

What a disgrace this is becoming. Go ahead and ruin your career…. Don’t go coaching and influencing others to do the same. Kids need a good roll model. Not someone who ups and bounces to advance themselves. How sad for him. 😢

Edited by Andrew
  • Downvote 12
  • Puking Eagle 2

5 minutes ago, Andrew said:

What a disgrace this is becoming. Go ahead and ruin your career…. Don’t go coaching and raising others to do the same. Kids need a good roll model. Not someone who ups and bounces to advance themselves. How sad for him. 😢

I am happy to offer you your first down vote for this comment. 

He's moving on. He was great for us and now will be great somewhere else. That's life. His legacy is cemented here but, whether he should be a HOF guy is a fair debate.

Showing kids you can play on the highest level regardless of size or where you are from seems like a good lesson to me. To leverage your skills to get a free education and three degrees doesn't seem half bad either. For his final trick, he'll probably take a shot at the G-league path to the NBA before going on to a wildly successful career in the international leagues. And when he returns, every coach and teammate he ever had will bend over backward to help him become successful in whatever else he chooses to do.

He has earned it. We will move on to the next season as always. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, MeanGreen13 said:

I am happy to offer you your first down vote for this comment. 

He's moving on. He was great for us and now will be great somewhere else. That's life. His legacy is cemented here but, whether he should be a HOF guy is a fair debate.

Showing kids you can play on the highest level regardless of size or where you are from seems like a good lesson to me. To leverage your skills to get a free education and three degrees doesn't seem half bad either. For his final trick, he'll probably take a shot at the G-league path to the NBA before going on to a wildly successful career in the international leagues. And when he returns, every coach and teammate he ever had will bend over backward to help him become successful in whatever else he chooses to do.

He has earned it. We will move on to the next season as always. 

I will just have to disagree. People these days are loose with commitments. To be fair it goes both ways and schools could also move away from players. To me none of it makes sense. People just quit on jobs, marriage, family, etc…. One precedent leads to the other. Somewhere over the last few decades we have lost our way. All about me me me instead of commitment and the betterment of others. I am disappointed in Mac as well. My wife use to see him at the coffee shop and think he was committed to the area. She liked him, but no more and her words were a whole lot worse than mine 🤣. She used it as an example for our son about commitment and actual family over fame and cash. Very disappointed in all of it. 
It was the same with JJ to an extent but he stayed longer and landed his actual dream job. 

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 9