He is gone.

6 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

So 2 thoughts on Hodge....

1. Could he make more money as an asst at TTech than HC here? (I'm going to assume Mac would try to keep him and do the "I don't come unless my D coordinator comes.")

2. On the other hand, the fact that this IS the worst kept secret in America and the team has not let it distract them tells me that perhaps they all know something we don't....maybe they've already been told "Mac is leaving, Hodge is your next HC, we'll announce it after the tourney. The system stays, and we keep on rolling."

Two opposites...either one could be true

Corey Williams was hired at $400k per year when he went to TTech in 2021. I don't think they would pay more for an assistant than a HC would make here.

I also think next year will be Hodge assuming McCasland is indeed gone. Not just the continued focus by the team but a scholarship offer was sent out just a few days ago to a transfer portal player and Hodge is the only one (between he and Mac) following that player on Twitter. Don't see why an offer would be sent out if they were both on the way out.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, wardly said:

Just asking but why do you think Hodge won't go with MAC to Tech?

Nothing would surprise me but it would be a little weird on the week the narrative about Drew encouraging and supporting his old assistants is everywhere then Mac would not highly recommend Hodge for the position. I take that back, I'd be surprised if Hodge isn't the choice. 

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It's been rumored that Hodge has had other HC opportunities, but chose to stay here.   Likely with the understanding that he's the H-C-I-W.   
Tech's Asst. Coach pool last year was $1.5mil.   That's $1.5mil spread across 3 coaches.   Coach McCasland made $1mil this season.  I doubt Hodge would make less than $800k here after promotion.    That's likely the ceiling of what he would make as an assistant at Tech.   But he'd be a Head Coach here VS an assistant in Lubbock, and that's a HUGE DIFFERENCE.

How many assistants have to grind it out just to wait for their opportunity at a Head Coaching gig to come available for them? There are very few Head Coaching jobs out there. Hodge would honestly be crazy to turn down a head coaching gig to remain an assistant at Tech, even if the money is slightly better. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, meanrob said:

If losing the most successful and popular coach in the last fifty years can't be talked about on a message board then what are we doing here? It's been the worst kept secret the last two weeks. I'm pretty sure everybody can handle this. All I'd add is to keep it off the UAB thread. 

I'm not saying it shouldn't be talked about.  I'm saying it shouldn't be talked about for about the next 14 hours given this is one of the biggest games in the history of the school.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

Just now, CMJ said:

I'm not saying it shouldn't be talked about.  I'm saying it shouldn't be talked about for about the next 14 hours given this is one of the biggest games in the history of the school.

Keep it to one thread. Look, dude, I need to work through this, I'm all alone up here in the PNW on this day of many emotions. 🙂

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Ray 1

45 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm not seeing a lot of disappointment from them at all.  They seem pretty excited about him.   Mostly some frustration with how long he's delayed to them due to staying alive.   "We're missing out on recruiting portal guys!..."

On Tech's 247 board, they seem to be behind Grant. It seems those who actually take the time to check out how Grant coaches and our team plays understand how good he is. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

for eff's sake you all have me championing and agreeing with UNTLifer. I don't like that. so stop and just enjoy tonight. dummies. 

Something's up with the planets, cats are sleeping with dogs, etc...  I have found myself in agreement with you more and more recently which, seriously, should be a lesson to us all.  We are too quick to argue with someone in this day and age and label them an enemy.  We, me included, need to learn to listen to differing opinions.  We don't have to agree, but we can respect the other person and, in the end, realize we are all here for the greater good, Mean Green sports.

The Incredibles Movie GIF

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 2

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

This is my fear. It took JJ years to build up what he did, and Benford a year to destroy. Grant has done a tremendous job and we HAVE to keep the momentum. 

This is why the COACH is the most important factor for success...more than facilities, conference, or NIL $.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

So 2 thoughts on Hodge....

1. Could he make more money as an asst at TTech than HC here? (I'm going to assume Mac would try to keep him and do the "I don't come unless my D coordinator comes.")

2. On the other hand, the fact that this IS the worst kept secret in America and the team has not let it distract them tells me that perhaps they all know something we don't....maybe they've already been told "Mac is leaving, Hodge is your next HC, we'll announce it after the tourney. The system stays, and we keep on rolling."

Two opposites...either one could be true

**additional thought: If your Hodge, does going to a big12 school as an assistant outweigh taking over this program when it comes to taking the next leap? What has more risk if your Hodge? 

I think turning down a HC job for the team that just win the nit to go be ab assistant is not happening.  If he fails as a HC  Mac will be there. It's a no brainer

• Upvote 6

If true, still in a severe state of denial, the thing I will miss most about McCasland is how he represents the program and the school.  He is a high quality individual that is a great coach and better man.  That doesn't happen too often in this business.  How he has treated this transition speaks volumes.

Interestingly enough, in all the years that Hodge has sat beside Mac, I don't ever recall hearing Hodge interviewed, quoted in an article, nothing, but I expect him to be much the same.  I do think the team moving forward will miss Mac's personality, the never say die attitude/fight until the bitter end style, so that is my only fear.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, GMG_Dallas said:

Best I can do.

Screenshot_20221003-164502_Chrome.jpg.bd1ade0323c8fe11deeabca2552a0221.jpg

Guys, the PLAYERS are playing the game tonight.  Not us fat bellies with keyboards.  Cognitive dissonance can be a great strategy but we all know the truth.  It’s ok to talk about.  

That said, @UNTLifer just inspired me to feel real kumbaya towards you all so I hope no one feels any hurt or sadness about the truth.  On the real though, did love what you said Lifer. 

#GMG

8 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

If true, still in a severe state of denial, the thing I will miss most about McCasland is how he represents the program and the school.  He is a high quality individual that is a great coach and better man.  That doesn't happen too often in this business.  How he has treated this transition speaks volumes.

Interestingly enough, in all the years that Hodge has sat beside Mac, I don't ever recall hearing Hodge interviewed, quoted in an article, nothing, but I expect him to be much the same.  I do think the team moving forward will miss Mac's personality, the never say die attitude/fight until the bitter end style, so that is my only fear.

He was interviewed after a game recently but I didn't get to hear it. 

It's a bummer but gotta look at the positives. I didn't enjoy the JJ era enough, fully got back on during the GM era and now I'm locked into NT basketball to where I never miss a game (not always easy on the PST zone.) Possibly? new coach, new conference, crossing my fingers we keep some of these guys and if it is Hodge we'll have a young, hungry coach familiar with the program. Don't want GM to go but all things considered, this has been a hell of a ride with a good chance it continues. GMG. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Guys, we have Hodge on deck. Our noted defensive coordinator and probably architect of that Wisconsin 9 minute scoring drought (among some fortunate missed shots). We'll be fine. Enjoy tonight

I have been expecting this all along, which has taken some of the sting away from Grant leaving.   But, I will be extremely disappointed if Hodge is not the guy.

My personal opinion is that everyone knew this was coming and the plan has always been for Hodge to eventually take over.    Hodge is too good and would have been a head coach somewhere else.    We need to build an identity (defense) and a coaching tree here.   That is how you build a successful, consistent program especially when you are not a big money school.     Boise State did this very well with their football program for many years.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

Awww, Seattle Freeze getting to ya?? 😉

((I don’t know exactly where you’re at))

I'm in Seattle. Should've clarified, I'm Mean Green alone. 

Seattle freeze is a little overrated. And to be fair I almost have to watch the game alone, these end of the year basketball games have turned me into a loud clapper and yeller.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I would just say this about the story.It's another case of a news station being assholes. I know they could care less about North Texas but a group of chicken shits that have to try and break a story the night before we play for a Championship game is BS

World of journalism man. Once you've got delicate and relevant information, you race to be the first one to release it.

• Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Well, it's been real. 30 wins at anywhere in the country is a fantastic season regardless of the seasons outcome. Let's hope to stuff the trophy case tonight. 

With that, as I've already stated, he will not coach as long in Lubbock as he has at UNT nor will he have a better win % or hold up a single piece of hardware. But, good luck out there. I will never root for a place like Texas Tech to succeed and that's unfortunate for Grant. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2