American (AAC) Football Schedule Released Tomorrow (2/21)

SUMG

9 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

One thing that looks to be the theme with a lot of teams in the conference is that the non-regional rivals are scheduled early in conference play, like we get Navy and Temple to start. Then all the regional schools as conference play develops and each week gets more important.

Somewhat yes, but Rice goes to Charlotte and Tulsa to ECU last game of season, neither play UAB.

• Upvote 2

First half of the season will determine whether or not we go bowling.

We need to go at least 5-1 or 4-2 through the Temple game, because there's a good possibility we lose 4+ in the second half of the year.

Of course we need to see how Morris fares compared to Littrell. Here's hoping he's a lot better.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Yes.  Probably AAC contracted TV games.  Some other Friday and Thursday games spread thru the schedules.

9 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Somewhat yes, but Rice goes to Charlotte and Tulsa to ECU last game of season, neither play UAB.

I show the 25th to be a Saturday, but yes to SMU on a Friday. Maybe that will convince more students to show out and they can still go home to their mommies and daddies on Saturday.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

IMO, homecoming should be 10/14 versus Temple. By far our most winnable conference home game. Plus, it would be great to have a big crowd for our first AAC home game. I doubt Temple will bring anyone and I don't think they will move the needle for the casual UNT fan. Slating the game as homecoming would make interest in the opponent irrelevant. 

But I know how much UNT loves a later homecoming so I expect it will be 10/28 versus Memphis. 

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

We need to go at least 5-1 or 4-2 through the Temple game, because there's a good possibility we lose 4+ in the second half of the year.

Of course we need to see how Morris fares compared to Littrell. Here's hoping he's a lot better.

in good news... our first six games are winnable... i'm not saying we'll go 6-0, but looking at each individual game, they are winnable.

After that, it's anyone's guess, but i think everyone on this board would be happy to go 3-3 over the last six games, considering the lack of a bye week. We SHOULD win two games at the minimum, though

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

He's better.

59 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

IMO, homecoming should be 10/14 versus Temple. By far our most winnable conference home game. Plus, it would be great to have a big crowd for our first AAC home game. I doubt Temple will bring anyone and I don't think they will move the needle for the casual UNT fan. Slating the game as homecoming would make interest in the opponent irrelevant. 

But I know how much UNT loves a later homecoming so I expect it will be 10/28 versus Memphis. 

Bring back the parade.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1

This is probably the best schedule in 35 years. 

Home P5

Other than Ruston, all fun road trips (and direct flights) 

FCS that travels well (I think) 

Well-known schools 

Only blemish is the Saturday Tgiving game, SMU game sucks that its on Fri, but probably will be ESPN game 

• Upvote 5

Excited to be entering the AAC. We really need to seize this chance by the horns and turn our on field performance around. I expect Morris to have a short leash, and if by year 3 he isn't getting it done he will be out the door. Of course I want him to be playing for championships, and hoping he takes us to the top. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

This is probably the best schedule in 35 years. 

Home P5

Other than Ruston, all fun road trips (and direct flights) 

FCS that travels well (I think) 

Well-known schools 

Only blemish is the Saturday Tgiving game, SMU game sucks that its on Fri, but probably will be ESPN game 

You said it much better than me but I totally agree with you.  Best schedule I can ever recall!

• Upvote 2

This schedule is great. I have not been this excited about a UNT football schedule in all of my time at the university.

Does anyone know why the AAC has not set up the last week of the season to maximize the number of rivalry games? There are several obvious rivalry games (UNT-SMU, UNT-UTSA, UAB-Memphis, etc) and some potential budding rivalries (USF-FAU) that seem like they would be perfect for that last week as rivalry week.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, chomp said:

This schedule is great. I have not been this excited about a UNT football schedule in all of my time at the university.

Does anyone know why the AAC has not set up the last week of the season to maximize the number of rivalry games? There are several obvious rivalry games (UNT-SMU, UNT-UTSA, UAB-Memphis, etc) and some potential budding rivalries (USF-FAU) that seem like they would be perfect for that last week as rivalry week.

I doubt they will come out and comment on it. But seeing UTSA-Tulane in the last week has me thinking they are trying to divine which teams will be at the top of the league and getting them a showcase to increase playoff chances. UNT-UAB and SMU-Navy are also games between teams that were for the most part in the middle-upper half of their respective conferences the past few years. ECU-Tulsa were also doing similarly. USF plays Charlotte, both struggled last season.

Problem is that this can backfire in multiple ways: divining which teams are gonna be top is difficult in leagues like the AAC, and even if you get it right, you risk that it could suck the interest out of the game if the week after you have a rematch in the championship game.

SMU-UNT they already burnt earlier, because they want it as a tv game.

At least they left themselves open as to which game will be the Friday game at then end of the season. I assume it will be the one that looks halfway through the season like it will bring the conference championship race the most attention.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

That bye week sucks. Would have liked to see it later in the season.

The only benefit I can see from this is with a new coach and schemes, it might be good to get an open week after playing a few games to spend time working on things that the team hasn't fully adjusted to.

• Upvote 3