Monday Morning: Who would you rather?

MeanGreenDan

Monday Morning: Who would you rather?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your new top choice?

• Kenny Perry (Texas Tech associate head coach)
    • Garrett Riley (TCU offensive coordinator)
    • Joe Gillespie (TCU defensive coordinator)
    • KC Keeler (Sam Houston head coach)
    • Justin Fuente (former Memphis and Virginia Tech head coach)
    • None of them

None of them really move the needle with the exception of Riley…and even then he only excites football insiders.  The casual fan knows none of these dudes.  Which is fine.  Perry being part of those terrible Beaty Kansas teams and then being out of work for two years is very concerning if he is the front runner.  I know very little about him, though.

I want to know who they are bringing with them.  Whoever can build the best staff wins my vote.  Most of this list are guys who have been linked to high school recruiting and/or winning in the portal.  I’m assuming that’s table stakes for our AD/Pres.

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

None of them really move the needle with the exception of Riley…and even then he only excites football insiders.  The casual fan knows none of these dudes.  Which is fine.  Perry being part of those terrible Beaty Kansas teams and then being out of work for two years is very concerning if he is the front runner.  I know very little about him, though.

I want to know who they are bringing with them.  Whoever can build the best staff wins my vote.  Most of this list are guys who have been linked to high school recruiting and/or winning in the portal.  I’m assuming that’s table stakes for our AD/Pres.

I think Justin Fuente is known among casual college football fans. 

• Upvote 2

From Rob J: class of '82, As UNT fired good in Littrell, lets hire GREAT:
1. Graham Harrell-OC-UVA, prev OC-USC,OC-UNT (all three stellar performances)
2. Garrett Riley-OC-TCU (but it will cost far more than UNT paid Littrell)
3. Skip Holtz-6-1 bowl record in 20 or so years @ La Tech. Far better than UNT history of 2-11 in 13 bowls.
      current HC-USFL champions-Birmingham

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

I think Justin Fuente is known among casual college football fans. 

I highly doubt casual football fans know who fuente is, a casual fan probably doesn't know many coaches names beyond national title contenders.

Side note, my biggest concern with Perry is how he plans to transition his golf knowledge to the gridiron. is there much overlap there?

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

10 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

I highly doubt casual football fans know who fuente is, a casual fan probably doesn't know many coaches names beyond national title contenders.

Side note, my biggest concern with Perry is how he plans to transition his golf knowledge to the gridiron. is there much overlap there?

You might be right, just several of my non North Texas friends all knew his name. Not sure where they rank on the casual college football fan index. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, golfingomez said:

2 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

You might be right, just several of my non North Texas friends all knew his name. Not sure where they rank on the casual college football fan index. 

Most casual fans, if they knew of Fuente, would know him as being the guy who took over for the legendary Frank Beamer. I doubt more than a small minority of them would know he coached at Memphis prior to VT.

We need someone who can hit the portal and get us a good QB, based on either recruiting skill or name recognition, which I think will be Riley. Thinking short-term, and looking at next season's nonconference schedule, we have a good chance to start 3-0 heading into our first year in a tougher conference (and who knows who the 4th OOF game will be). If we want to avoid any kind of drop-off, I think it will be him and even if/when he don't contend for a title next year, we will remain bowl eligible and continue to build from there.

Don't want to be stuck with a Greer/McNulty type and *not* beat a beatable P5 Cal at the next home opener.

KENNY PERRY COACHING EXPERIENCE
2022 – Texas Tech Associate Head Coach (Special Teams Coordinator/Running Backs)
2021 – SMU Assistant Coach (Special Teams Coordinator)
2020 – SMU Special Teams Quality Control Analyst
2020 – Dallas Renegades Special Teams Coordinator (XFL)
2017-18 – Kansas Assistant Coach (Special Teams Coordinator/Recruiting Coordinator)
2015-16 – Kansas Co-Defensive Coordinator (Cornerbacks)
2014 – TCU Assistant Coach (Cornerbacks)
2013 – TCU Director of High School Relations
2006-12 – Arlington Bowie Head Coach
2004-05 – Haltom City High School Head Coach
2000-03 – Sam Houston High School Head Coach
1992-94 – Houston Graduate Assistant (Special Teams/Defensive Backs)

What about the above is attractive?

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Here's a tease for y'all...

One of my posts from early last week has been garnering a bunch of upvotes today, which is odd timing for a bump in +1s.   Especially with so much content over the past week.   

I'll refrain from saying who or what that post is about, in case we shouldn't read into it (I am)...  but it's regarding a guy on this list.

I'll come back and revisit this post after the hire to see if there was any correlation.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

People on this board want a guy with 2 years coordinator experience and less than 10 years overall experience (much of it an an analyst or GA) to head our program into a new conference is so on-brand for this fanbase.  Good grief.  Riley, Gillespe, and Perry are such an old Denton type of hire.  It is EXACTLY what people outside the program expect of little ole' UNT. 

Why do I think this?  In addition to the multitude of "who does NT think they are?" posts on social media after firing Seth, I experienced it personally this weekend at the Army-Navy game.  As usual, I wore my bright green North Texas hoodie to the game and was stopped by a couple of guys while walking into the stadium with a "Mean Green!"  So I walk over and was appreciative of the brand recognition which was surprising in Philadelphia.  (Turns out they were Texas guys.) They asked me if we were going to hire Riley and I responded that I hoped for Fuente or similar because I preferred more experience.  His response: "I mean, no offense, but it's North Texas.  What are they trying to be?  It's not Oklahoma or something."  He completely dismissed my logical explanation that the AAC offers us the opportunity for a NY6 or eventually an expanded playoff spot.  He eventually just blew it off and said, "just teasing you" but it was clear that he thought the concept of North Texas trying to better itself was laughable. 

I guess at least he knew who we were...

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Here's a tease for y'all...

One of my posts from early last week has been garnering a bunch of upvotes today, which is odd timing for a bump in +1s.   Especially with so much content over the past week.   

Was this your post about how you were baffled that the governor of our state continually disrespects our nation's flag by refusing to stand?

• Haha 1