New commit per Luke

18 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Awesome addition. 

Prospect with a can't-miss combination of football character, skill and physical traits who is more likely to contend for immediate playing time for the Mean Green. His strength and flexion allow him to drop a deep anchor. He can be too mechanical, engaging in cursory contact rather than using his hands to whip the man in front of him quickly. He is an instinctive rusher, assailing the pocket with a non-stop barrage of activity. His hands are skilled and efficient to grease the edge while fluid counter steps open inside paths to the pocket. He needs to add a few more items to his rush menu in order to maintain his rush production against Division 1 tackles. He is scheme versatile and should be a very good starter with a very high floor, but his ceiling might not be as elevated as some of the talent he's been compared to.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Graddean said:

Strange isn’t it.  We get a D2 transfer in basketball with no negativity.  We get an all-conference D2 football transfer and get plenty of negativity.

50 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

It’s almost as if the basketball coach is really highly thought of and the football coach is considered a bump on a log…

It's a parity game, as well as a numbers game

There are many D2 schools that could play and compete with D1 in basketball. Hell even "lower" mid majors make buzz every year and I don't think the competition is that much greater. Couple that with basketball having 13 guys, when you have one stud D2 transfer it makes a bigger impact

Now look at football, is a D2 school EVER going to compete with a legit FBS school? Probably not, and the score wouldn't even be close. The football roster has what, 85 guys? One guy, unless he's an all world QB, isn't gonna make as big of a difference.

And yeah, I trust Mac a hell of a lot more than I trust Littrell. One of them is a winner, the other lucked into the greatest QB we've ever had and can't replicate any of his past success

Mac is reloading and winning year after year. Littrell is just doing his best not to get fired.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Graddean said:

Strange isn’t it.  We get a D2 transfer in basketball with no negativity.  We get an all-conference D2 football transfer and get plenty of negativity.

So strange.    I mean, VERY strange.

D1-FCS scholarships (130 teams X 63 scholarships) = 8,190 scholarships available.
D1-FBS scholarships (130 schools X 85 scholarships) = 11,050 scholarships available.
Total D1 football scholarships = 19,240 scholarships available.

D1 Basketball scholarships = 358 schools X 13 scholarships = 4,654 scholarships available.

Can you really not see the difference between getting a D2 football player (after going through over 19,000 D1 players) VS a D2 basketball player?

I hope like heck Mr. Richards is the real deal and is ready to contribute at the Devil spot at this level.

• Upvote 6

35 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

It's a parity game, as well as a numbers game

There are many D2 schools that could play and compete with D1 in basketball. Hell even "lower" mid majors make buzz every year and I don't think the competition is that much greater. Couple that with basketball having 13 guys, when you have one stud D2 transfer it makes a bigger impact

Now look at football, is a D2 school EVER going to compete with a legit FBS school? Probably not, and the score wouldn't even be close. The football roster has what, 85 guys? One guy, unless he's an all world QB, isn't gonna make as big of a difference.

And yeah, I trust Mac a hell of a lot more than I trust Littrell. One of them is a winner, the other lucked into the greatest QB we've ever had and can't replicate any of his past success

Mac is reloading and winning year after year. Littrell is just doing his best not to get fired.

Dropping truth bombs like this is often frowned upon at this establishment.   Go back to drinking a vodka & Lime green Kool Aid and back away from the computer and everything will be alright.

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

Every year D2 and FCS players are drafted and North Texas players are passed over. We complain.

We bring in D2 and FCS players. We complain. 

I am not sure that bringing in guys from the lower levels is the best or my preferred strategy but we bring in JUCO guys every year and I don’t see complaints. Given our historical failure rate with guys from P5 schools, I am not so sure I am opposed to this strategy, as long as they are proven starters at their level. Seems to me at the least they could be quality depth and we need that at several positions especially on the lines. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

9 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Every year D2 and FCS players are drafted and North Texas players are passed over. We complain.

I am not sure that bringing in guys from the lower levels is the best or my preferred strategy but we bring in JUCO guys every year and I don’t see complaints. Given our historical failure rate with guys from P5 schools, I am not so sure I am opposed to this strategy, as long as they are proven starters at their level. Seems to me at the least they could be quality depth and we need that at several positions especially on the lines. 

This will be the largest transfer class of D1 players ever so far this year. If we are ever going to sign D1 talent and size it should be this year. We should not be signing for depth at this point, but for upgraded starters with size, Our current class is rated in the bottom of C-USA, think how we would compare with the AAC? Recruiting always shows the perception and future of a program. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I completely agree with you. Nothing wrong with bringing in the best kids you can get. It adds depth. We need the bodies. I’d rather take a kid from a FCS/ D2 kid than a low level high school kid or juco kid, as you know they can play against bigger and faster kids than lower levels of HS and can academically qualify and stay qualified vs juco talent. Schools like ours are burned heavily by juco kids too often.

Again, you take what you can get. It’s not easy to accept when SMU gets legit p5 talent that wants to go there and has thrived or that other CUSA teams have momentum we don’t. But we still have to field a team and get coached up—that’s the biggest problem and we can’t/won’t fix it unless we have a losing season.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

21 hours ago, Graddean said:

Because we’ve learned that basketball can develop, and football is VERY inconsistent in that category.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

This will be the largest transfer class of D1 players ever so far this year. If we are ever going to sign D1 talent and size it should be this year. We should not be signing for depth at this point, but for upgraded starters with size, Our current class is rated in the bottom of C-USA, think how we would compare with the AAC? Recruiting always shows the perception and future of a program. 

Maybe all the D1 guys in the portal aren't interested in NT.   

SURELY we're at least reaching out to these guys, right?   Maybe they're just saying, "no thanks".

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Maybe all the D1 guys in the portal aren't interested in NT.   

SURELY we're at least reaching out to these guys, right?   Maybe they're just saying, "no thanks".

It appears from my vantage point that the UNT football program is going through some changes.  Littrell pulled a rabbit out of his hat against UTSA and that win cannot ever be denied.   Can you imagine what we would be up against if the San Antonio technical college had gone undefeated last season?   I can promise you SIncere McCormick would have decided to sick around for their bowl game after that.   Littrell then proceeded to crap the bed against Ohio and thus here we find ourselves in this current mess.   And if you think other teams recruiting against us aren't using this against us you are extremely naive.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1