UTEP (2/7/22)

CMJ

15 minutes ago, northtexassigep said:

There needs to be more concession stands open on 2/26 or it’s going to be very frustrating for people and they won’t want to come back. 

I brought this up earlier this season that only two stands were opened. I was told by someone in the ad they were having trouble finding people to run the stands due to covid and we were lucky they had two open. 

58 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

I brought this up earlier this season that only two stands were opened. I was told by someone in the ad they were having trouble finding people to run the stands due to covid and we were lucky they had two open. 

I thought they let high school organizations run the concession stands? Is that not the case anymore?

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Abou is really stepping up. His improvement from last year is 📈
T Bell is sometimes frustrating to watch, but in big games he is clutch. When it's a battle he most likely is going to win out.

It's so impressive how the team keeps improving game by game. Best coaching staff in CUSA.

I was worried about Abou after he missed a few easy shots in the opening minutes. Dude shut me up quick and had one of his better games of the season. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Like I said last night, an eight point victory instead of a ten point win is not gonna take us down a seeding line.

Over time it will and with a almost exclusive single bid conference it helps. It does seem they did weigh double digit and single digit victories/loses more heavily in years past, but I am waiting to hear back from an email sent to see just how much. Either way UNT needs to be hurrying teams and win out to increase seeding and a hope of a at large bid of the conference tournament doesn’t go our way. 

• Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Over time it will and with a almost exclusive single bid conference it helps. It does seem they did weigh double digit and single digit victories/loses more heavily in years past, but I am waiting to hear back from an email sent to see just how much. Either way UNT needs to be hurrying teams and win out to increase seeding and a hope of a at large bid of the conference tournament doesn’t go our way. 

Last year UNT was the 6 seed in the CUSA Tourney, but won it, finished regular season 17-9 after winning it, and given a 13 seed.   

This year we are currently the 1 seed in CUSA, 17-4, no cupcake losses, but only predicted to be a 12 seed.   Doesn't seem much difference and I would say a disrespect overall for CUSA basketball as a whole.  I don't see the conference getting an at-large bid as low as they value the league leader currently.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

The thing that is impressive to me about Abou and the entire team is how they respond to coaching.  Mac was in Bell's face leading in to a timeout and the announcers stated that even at 5'8", Mac will not hesitate to get in his player's face.  They also stated how Bell and Mac have a great relationship and that is the main reason he came back.  He knows Mac will make him a better player.  The younger guys see this, and think "If Bell is receptive to this, then I better be as well."  Abou's improvement this year has been awesome to watch.

The other thing that stands out to me is the lack of ego amongst the players.  For example, UTEP wasn't going to let Perry loose yesterday and threw everyone at him when he had the ball.  Instead of forcing up shots and trying to get his points, he ended up drawing the players to him and then passing to the open man.  Never sulked, understood what was going on, and did what was right for the team.  Really impressive.

I was concerned about Mac getting into player's faces all the time as they come off the court, but they take it well, and seem to respond after it.  They truly play as a team, even the bench players are into the action.  The football team and Seth should be taking some notes!

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

The thing that is impressive to me about Abou and the entire team is how they respond to coaching.  Mac was in Bell's face leading in to a timeout and the announcers stated that even at 5'8", Mac will not hesitate to get in his player's face.  They also stated how Bell and Mac have a great relationship and that is the main reason he came back.  He knows Mac will make him a better player.  The younger guys see this, and think "If Bell is receptive to this, then I better be as well."  Abou's improvement this year has been awesome to watch.

The other thing that stands out to me is the lack of ego amongst the players.  For example, UTEP wasn't going to let Perry loose yesterday and threw everyone at him when he had the ball.  Instead of forcing up shots and trying to get his points, he ended up drawing the players to him and then passing to the open man.  Never sulked, understood what was going on, and did what was right for the team.  Really impressive.

It’s honestly hilarious hearing opposing fans talk about Mac getting into players faces. “Wow, that coach is pissed” “Man, he is really ripping into that player.” He really rails into them but it’s from a place of caring and obviously the players know that. 

• Upvote 1

I even noticed a big difference in Abou this year, last year he kept walking when Mac would have a talk when he came off the court and then Simmons would talk to him.  This year Abou stops and listens to Mac.

Last game did you see Mac get the chalk board out and show Scott the play.    I have never seen him do that but it was after he missed a pass under the basket.  

If Abou makes as big a leap from his freshman year to this year and repeats to his Junior year with improvement watch out CUSA/AAC.  

Someone really overlooked though and extremely important has been McBride. Dude has been getting better and better and hitting big shots. So important especially when they take Perry away which is easier to do because of his height.

You can't pound inside if you have no outside threat, and McBride has been providing that.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Andrew said:

Then don’t ever talk about an at large bid or seeding. 👍

Season 6 What GIF by The Office
I still don’t think you understand how the evaluation tools work, but UTEP was top 150 and winning by 8 (giving up 4-6 points in garbage time) will not affect how we get seeded. Actually with that win, we’ve moved closer to an 11 seed according to most brackets and how they seed others based on NET rankings etc…

We, once again, moved up in everything after the win and defensive efficiency continues to climb since we have allowed over 60 4 times in CUSA play and continue to hold solid offenses to well under their PPG average.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

A good coach can probably tell what the opposition is going to try to do - and be effective at - and tell his players to adjust.  In this case, have some drills that involve Perry engaging/assisting his teammates.

16 hours ago, Andrew said:

Over time it will and with a almost exclusive single bid conference it helps. It does seem they did weigh double digit and single digit victories/loses more heavily in years past, but I am waiting to hear back from an email sent to see just how much. 

Who do you email to find out this information?

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I even noticed a big difference in Abou this year, last year he kept walking when Mac would have a talk when he came off the court and then Simmons would talk to him.  This year Abou stops and listens to Mac.

Last game did you see Mac get the chalk board out and show Scott the play.    I have never seen him do that but it was after he missed a pass under the basket.  

If Abou makes as big a leap from his freshman year to this year and repeats to his Junior year with improvement watch out CUSA/AAC.  

Just imagine if Scott makes the same leap.  Abou learned "at the knee" of Simmons and Scott is getting to do the same with Bell.  We just have to lock up McCasland.  If we do, this will be fun for a long time.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Just imagine if Scott makes the same leap.  Abou learned "at the knee" of Simmons and Scott is getting to do the same with Bell.  We just have to lock up McCasland.  If we do, this will be fun for a long time.

Chris Beard is already licking his chops.  They better lock Aaron up and throw away the key as he will be highly coveted.

• Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2

7 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Season 6 What GIF by The Office
I still don’t think you understand how the evaluation tools work, but UTEP was top 150 and winning by 8 (giving up 4-6 points in garbage time) will not affect how we get seeded. Actually with that win, we’ve moved closer to an 11 seed according to most brackets and how they seed others based on NET rankings etc…

We, once again, moved up in everything after the win and defensive efficiency continues to climb since we have allowed over 60 4 times in CUSA play and continue to hold solid offenses to well under their PPG average.

Doesn’t matter. Double digit wins contribute to a higher net rating. As do wins I’m general. Other things are taken into account as well. Nobody is complaining about the win, but double digit wins count more than single digit wins… nothing negates that and it doesn’t take away the great win. 

54 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2021-12-06/college-basketballs-net-rankings-explained

A 10 point win is worth more than an 8 point win. How much will this one UTEP result affect seeding? Probably very little unless we can win out by 10+ points each time.

20220209_164018.jpg

Yes. That should be one of the goals. Obviously win every game. Win by double digits, grab boards, make our free throws, and play tough defense. That affects our seeding as we continue to win.