UTEP (2/7/22)

CMJ

A little interesting tidbit for this game is that, as long as it gets played, it will be Souley Boum’s 6th game at The Super Pit as an opponent. I’m curious when the last time an opponent would have played that many games in The Super Pit. 

It’s very circumstantial. Played us 2X in Denton during the CBI Championship for San Francisco, played at Denton in the 19-20 season for UTEP, and played at Denton 2X last year for UTEP due to the COVID scheduling. 

• Upvote 7
  • Confused 1

• CMJ changed the title to UTEP (2/7/22)
23 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

A little interesting tidbit for this game is that, as long as it gets played, it will be Souley Boum’s 6th game at The Super Pit as an opponent. I’m curious when the last time an opponent would have played that many games in The Super Pit. 

It’s very circumstantial. Played us 2X in Denton during the CBI Championship for San Francisco, played at Denton in the 19-20 season for UTEP, and played at Denton 2X last year for UTEP due to the COVID scheduling. 

Very interesting…

• Upvote 1

As discussed on other topics, I think the student attendance will be just as good, if not better than Saturday.

I'll have about 75 minutes to get from South Fort Worth to Denton, and know that's an easier commute than many others alumni face. At this point I just hope for the same attendance as yesterday.

February 26th should be a packed lower bowl.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

We need this type of crowd for the rest of the year!!!

Smart hitting the step back 3 got that place loud! That and Hollingsworth free throws in 2020 were some of the loudest in a while.

5CA9A404-86DD-4EC5-888C-E3F8BDBAC680.jpeg

This is refreshing.  It's like a step through a door that I wasn't sure would re-open in Denton.

Maniacs need to keep pushing.  This can get much bigger.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Tom McKrackin said:

This game has all of the classic signs of a trap game for us.  I expect us to lose and it could be by a big margin.

What have you seen from our defense that would suggest a conference mate has the ability to come in here and run us out of the gym?  Even when we struggle offensively, our defense gives us a chance to stay in pretty much every game.

Kansas is the only game this year where I felt we looked completely outmatched.  And that was early in the season.

• Upvote 3

I just don't think we have anyone that can matchup well with their top player Souley Boum the transfer from San Francisco.  He is averaging close to 20 points a game.  He is too tall for JJ and Tylor at 6-4 and too quick for Aron.  I said it could be by a big margin but I don't expect it to be.  I think it will likely be very close unless we go cold from the 3 point line.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I just don't think we have anyone that can matchup well with their top player Souley Boum the transfer from San Francisco.  He is averaging close to 20 points a game.  He is too tall for JJ and Tylor at 6-4 and too quick for Aron.  I said it could be by a big margin but I don't expect it to be.  I think it will likely be very close unless we go cold from the 3 point line.

They've also squeaked by utsa twice.  Rubin is 6'5" and Drez is 6'2" so we are covered there.  Plus, the way we switch, I am not worried.  The only top scorer we really haven't shut down is Kinsey from Marshall and we beat them on their home floor.

I am not dismissing UTEP or Boum, but I think predicting us to lose and possibly by a wide margin is not warranted.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2