Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Where do you find anyone suggesting that only positive things be written about NT sports?   

I don't know. Maybe I just misinterpreted what people have been saying for years.

Continue with the Denton, DRC, Vito, TWU, and area high school bashing. I have zero ties to any of those groups.

If UNT has a problem with what the DRC writes how bout they buy them and then print whatever they like. That's how American media works now right?

  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Common sense would have put UNT softball spanks Texas A$M which was ranked #20! 

That's a big deal and makes people want to read article. 

Come on Vito that's just pure laziness! 😣

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

I read the article Vito posted and it was clearly  very positive, "The Sunday leftovers -- UNT softball, women's basketball teams pick up hugs wins." Ok, it should be "huge" and it was huge in the body of the article. The print article appears to be very positive, at least that part I can read from the picture. The only negative appears to be in the teaser headline which VIto says is written by a "designer." I was technically correct in that there was a loss but obviously doesn't tease what actually happened accurately. But Vito wrote it was a poor choice of words. It appears to be more in the category of a mistake than a plot to hurt NT athletics. 

1.  No one especially me had a problem with what was written in the body of the article.  The teaser headline across the top of the front page was the deal breaker here.

2.  No, that’s not what he wrote about the teaser headline.

 He wrote: “The teaser was written by a designer looking to tie both stories together. It might not have been the best choice, but it was accurate.”

Nope...the two are no where on the same planet as being together nor are they accurate.

My thought was if that is indeed what that line across the top of the front page of the sports section is called...a “teaser”,...then why in hell would anyone be teased or encouraged to read further?  Shouldn’t something positive be there instead?

 

Rick

  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most 'news' content, whether print or online, is bought somehow.  I have to look at several sources from their different angles to synthesize a fuzzy picture of what might be the truth. Maybe the NT print advertising budget needs a supplement?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

To me it’s directly intentional.  It’s been going on for far too long in regards to the university.  

If there’s any chance at all to diminish a Mean Green accomplishment they’ll do it.  Been going on for years.  

Going into Saturday evening, about the time our basketball game with wKYj was finishing up the first half’s its game,... NT Softball was 3-0 in that tournament.  

How anyone comes away with “lose in tourneys” at that point is just unbelievable?

Afterward, we lost in extra innings by 1 late that evening in a cold, miserable drizzle but came back and run ruled CB the next morning finishing 4-1.  

The DRC had almost 30 hours to decide to print that head line.  

Again...how in hell anyone paying an ounce of attention to the area sports results gets “Lose in tourneys” from a 4-1 tournament result is just bizarre?

 

Rick

Rick - I would love to meet you someday in person!  The passion you bring to all things Mean Green is contagious.  After reading your post earlier today, I felt like driving to DRC HQ and yell as loud as I could, "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!"  Please, keep up the good fight! GMG

  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

I read the article Vito posted and it was clearly  very positive, "The Sunday leftovers -- UNT softball, women's basketball teams pick up hugs wins." Ok, it should be "huge" and it was huge in the body of the article. The print article appears to be very positive, at least that part I can read from the picture. The only negative appears to be in the teaser headline which VIto says is written by a "designer." I was technically correct in that there was a loss but obviously doesn't tease what actually happened accurately. But Vito wrote it was a poor choice of words. It appears to be more in the category of a mistake than a plot to hurt NT athletics. 

Do constant mistakes still count as mistakes?  

  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, scratch1976 said:

Common sense would have put UNT softball spanks Texas A$M which was ranked #20! 

That's a big deal and makes people want to read article. 

Come on Vito that's just pure laziness! 😣

 

We have a winner. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

1.  No one especially me had a problem with what was written in the body of the article.  The teaser headline across the top of the front page was the deal breaker here.

2.  No, that’s not what he wrote about the teaser headline.

 He wrote: “The teaser was written by a designer looking to tie both stories together. It might not have been the best choice, but it was accurate.”

Nope...the two are no where on the same planet as being together nor are they accurate.

My thought was if that is indeed what that line across the top of the front page of the sports section is called...a “teaser”,...then why in hell would anyone be teased or encouraged to read further?  Shouldn’t something positive be there instead?

 

Rick

Wait, we have another winner. 

  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My other issue is that they put us on the same level as TWU. Nothing against TWU as it is a fine institution of higher learning, but they play Division II level athletics. We beat the #20 ranked Texas A&M Aggiettes not Cameron University or someone like Rogers State that TWU plays. The win deserved its own article. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Eye Roll 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once is a mistake.

Twice is a coincidence.

Three times is enemy action.

What do you call 30 years?

Rick is right.  This crap has been going on for decades.  I love the town of Denton, but its local paper leaves a lot to be desired.

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of y'all are wild. Bitching over a small headline in the local paper about women's softball. Even after Brett explained the situation and pointed out the coverage of softball has been very positive. 

I swear, some people on this board have the thinnest skin I've ever seen. THERE IS NO CONSPIRACY AGAINST UNT ATHLETICS!

  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Some of y'all are wild. Bitching over a small headline in the local paper about women's softball. Even after Brett explained the situation and pointed out the coverage of softball has been very positive. 

I swear, some people on this board have the thinnest skin I've ever seen. THERE IS NO CONSPIRACY AGAINST UNT ATHLETICS!

Yeah... I am with you here. Could the teaser on the front page have been better, sure.

But I am not sure what the goal is here. 

  • Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrStrange18 said:

Yeah... I am with you here. Could the teaser on the front page have been better, sure.

But I am not sure what the goal is here. 

This was a big weekend for the softball team, pretty much shaming a T25 team under the leadership of a new coach.

The DRC is in a position to draw readership and new fans to sports.  I guess it depends on what impact you think these teasers have on potential readers/attention.  The teaser they elected to show would motivated ZERO people to check out a possible winner to get behind.  ZERO interest in how a new coach is doing.

...seems more like a "nothing to see here folks" sentiment.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, greenminer said:

This was a big weekend for the softball team, pretty much shaming a T25 team under the leadership of a new coach.

The DRC is in a position to draw readership and new fans to sports.  I guess it depends on what impact you think these teasers have on potential readers/attention.  The teaser they elected to show would motivated ZERO people to check out a possible winner to get behind.  ZERO interest in how a new coach is doing.

...seems more like a "nothing to see here folks" sentiment.

So what are you going to do about it then?

  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MrStrange18 said:

So what are you going to do about it then?

If you're suggesting that posting on a message board accomplishes nothing, and one needs to email/call someone isntead...

giphy.gif

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

You are wrong, sir. I have been on this board too long to know otherwise.  In no particular order, the conspirators include: SMU, the College of Music, the NT Daily, the Denton Record Chronicle, the residents of Denia, and in general, the artsy-fartsy students that populate our campus.

Post of the day goes to...

  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flyonthewall said:

Not true.  Patterson bought it back last year.

I read the online version and thought it would improve once it was out of BELO's grasp.  I was wrong.  Now, pretty much the only things I read are the sports and the obits.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, GBarksdale said:

I read the online version and thought it would improve once it was out of BELO's grasp.  I was wrong.  Now, pretty much the only things I read are the sports and the obits.

The Police Blotter is a must read, as well.  Some crazy stuff periodically. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

You are wrong, sir. I have been on this board too long to know otherwise.  In no particular order, the conspirators include: SMU, the College of Music, the NT Daily, the Denton Record Chronicle, the residents of Denia, and in general, the artsy-fartsy students that populate our campus.

You forgot TWU, the City Council, Golden Triangle Mall, TxDOT, T-shirt fans, ESPN, and Al Hurley. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LongJim said:

The Police Blotter is a must read, as well.  Some crazy stuff periodically. 

Used to read that.  But now it’s full of real crimes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

1.  No one especially me had a problem with what was written in the body of the article.  The teaser headline across the top of the front page was the deal breaker here.

2.  No, that’s not what he wrote about the teaser headline.

 He wrote: “The teaser was written by a designer looking to tie both stories together. It might not have been the best choice, but it was accurate.”

Nope...the two are no where on the same planet as being together nor are they accurate.

My thought was if that is indeed what that line across the top of the front page of the sports section is called...a “teaser”,...then why in hell would anyone be teased or encouraged to read further?  Shouldn’t something positive be there instead?

 

Rick

 

While its wildly negatively misleading, and I have no idea why they would do that - to state that "UNT lost in tourney" is technically correct as Vito says.  It doesn't say, "UNT Lost the tourney", it says they lost "IN" the tourney, ,which as you stated, they did.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.