DRC/Vito - Five thoughts on UNT's loss to SMU

Pavlovs Eagle

I think the article is fine. We made too many mistakes early in the 2nd half and SMU made us pay. With the deficit, they focused on pass rush and coverage. Our OLine, especially our back ups, struggled against their dline.

For me…This one stings worse than the other losses this season. This one felt like a Littrell loss.  I hope the team rallies to finish the season at 5-7.  I guess we’ll see versus Tulsa. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, dodgefan said:

I think those Mustangs got a massive ass chewing at halftime, because they came out and crushed us like grapes in the second half. Before our final touchdown in garbage time, we had 39 yards offense in the second half.

Apparently, yes, it was a very uncomfortable lockerroom as it should have been

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

46 minutes ago, dodgefan said:

I think those Mustangs got a massive ass chewing at halftime, because they came out and crushed us like grapes in the second half. Before our final touchdown in garbage time, we had 39 yards offense in the second half.

Yeah, and since we were in the game at the half our coaches probably said, “keep doing what you’re doing fellows. We have them right were we want them”. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

30 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

Apparently, yes, it was a very uncomfortable lockerroom as it should have been

From the SMU locker room...

"Alright guys, we're not paying you thousands of dollars to go out and lose to a bunch of student athletes from up the freeway!  Now go out there and earn your BMW's in the 2nd half!!"   🤣

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 1

59 minutes ago, ForneyGreen said:

From the SMU locker room...

"Alright guys, we're not paying you thousands of dollars to go out and lose to a bunch of student athletes from up the freeway!  Now go out there and earn your BMW's in the 2nd half!!"   🤣

That's a loser crutch mentality, that if allowed to continue, will keep us right there with the Tulsa's of college football. NIL is hardly something that only SMU is doing, either we decide to get proactive and compete,  or we will still be complaining and whining, about why other teams win... two, five or 10 years from now. Eric has done a terrific job on offense, we need a few key pieces on defense, to get us over the hump.

Edited by dodgefan
  • Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 3

8 hours ago, dodgefan said:

Maybe, but they didn’t respond immediately.  We forced a punt on their first possession of the 2nd half and then fumbled the ball away a few plays later to set them up with a golden scoring opportunity.  After that everything went downhill.

Turnovers have been very costly the past two weeks.  

• Upvote 3

One of our many issues is that we cannot string together a great defensive stand with a touchdown drive. It happened at two key points Friday night. The first when we got away with PI and had a chance to take the lead before halftime. We were driving but a dropped would-be first down stalled us. The second time, we forced a three-and-out right after halftime, then turned it over on our next possession.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, dodgefan said:

Tulane moves up to number 17 in the latest poll, that's good for the conference. After we have faced all of the top teams in a row, is Tulane the best of the bunch?

I think they are behind both SMU and UTSA, but the difference in the top 4 is very slim.

I’m glad they’re ranked, but no way Tulane is #17 in the country. 

15 hours ago, NT93 said:

I’m glad they’re ranked, but no way Tulane is #17 in the country. 

Waaay back in the 80's, I saw more sports reporters on a regular basis. What I was told by an AP voter was the rankings for the top 12 were pretty accurate, but beyond that most reporters don't follow closely enough to know for sure. Once a team gets into the top 25, as long as the don't lose they will likely stay there. 

3 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

Waaay back in the 80's, I saw more sports reporters on a regular basis. What I was told by an AP voter was the rankings for the top 12 were pretty accurate, but beyond that most reporters don't follow closely enough to know for sure. Once a team gets into the top 25, as long as the don't lose they will likely stay there. 

That sounds very plausible.

Edited by NT93